Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: 32 or 64 bit?

  1. #1

    Question 32 or 64 bit?

    Currently I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit and Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn 32-bit. I am planning on removing Ubuntu to try openSUSE. Currently I have only used openSUSE in VirtualBox as my past three LiveCDs would not boot correctly. Instead of downloading the 10.3 ISO file again I just decided to wait for version 11.

    Now that version 11 is out I would like to download the new ISO and hopefully get to try openSUSE under a real boot. Here are the specifications for my current computer.

    AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6 Ghz
    ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 Graphics
    2048 MB DDR2 Dual Channel RAM
    120 GB HDD 5200 RPM

    I planned on using 15 GB for openSUSE like I have with Ubuntu in the past. My question is... since I have a 64-bit processor should I try using openSUSE 64-bit? I've never used a 64-bit OS and I am wondering what problems could come from using one, specifically openSUSE.

    Also... since I have never gotten a chance to install openSUSE I am not sure, but will it by default use the openSUSE bootloader over my Vista one?

    Any info would be great... thanks.

    Derek

  2. #2

    Default Re: 32 or 64 bit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerman2442 View Post
    Currently I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit and Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn 32-bit. I am planning on removing Ubuntu to try openSUSE. Currently I have only used openSUSE in VirtualBox as my past three LiveCDs would not boot correctly. Instead of downloading the 10.3 ISO file again I just decided to wait for version 11.
    Good Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerman2442 View Post
    I planned on using 15 GB for openSUSE like I have with Ubuntu in the past. My question is... since I have a 64-bit processor should I try using openSUSE 64-bit? I've never used a 64-bit OS and I am wondering what problems could come from using one, specifically openSUSE.
    The Java plugin won't work, and you might have to do some workaround for some things, so unless you think you have an OK amount of experience, then use 32-bit, the downside is mainly less processing power(not nneded much unless your doing things like video processing), and also since you have an ATi card, you might get better support under 32-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerman2442 View Post
    Also... since I have never gotten a chance to install openSUSE I am not sure, but will it by default use the openSUSE bootloader over my Vista one?

    Any info would be great... thanks.

    Derek
    It will use the SuSE one, but you can boot vista from it
    "If it ain't broke, find something wrong with it"

  3. #3

    Default Re: 32 or 64 bit?

    Quote Originally Posted by some-guy View Post
    It will use the SuSE one, but you can boot vista from it
    Does it use GRUB by default? If so than I should be okay with it. (Used GRUB on Ubuntu)

  4. #4
    ab@novell.com NNTP User

    Default Re: 32 or 64 bit?

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Yes.

    Good luck.





    Powerman2442 wrote:
    | some-guy;1823739 Wrote:
    |> It will use the SuSE one, but you can boot vista from it
    |
    | Does it use GRUB by default? If so than I should be okay with it. (Used
    | GRUB on Ubuntu)
    |
    |
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iD8DBQFIXyVl3s42bA80+9kRAiS4AJ490sckYAuQ7nFabDm66w9tqO+zIQCfQ/PD
    a4JRJj/H1JwI2FiwPMSlRZ0=
    =oR7D
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •