Thread: YaST and/or Zypper package cache

countercraft NNTP User

Default YaST and/or Zypper package cache

Hi, I'm new to openSUSE, and I would to know where YaST and/or Zypper store the downloaded rpms. I'm using openSUSE 11.
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: YaST and/or Zypper package cache

good question.
    Yast2 does not seem to work like apt on debian. it seems that yast2 downloads the rpms, installs them and then deletes them.

Rpm Cache - openSUSE Forums
    Local cache/Temp folder for downloaded RPMS - LinuxQuestions.org

countercraft NNTP User

Well, i got it! YaST and Zypper store the rpms on /var/cache/zypp/packages, but they aren't configurated to do this by default. It's necessary to edit each .repo on /etc/zypp/repos.d and change the keeppackages variable to 1.

countercraft NNTP User

Hi people, now I have another question
    How can I make YaST2 "see" the cache? Although the rpms are in /var/cache/zypp/packages, YaST2 insists in redownload them. For example, I've installed audacious on my PC, and I have its rpm in the cache. So I want to install audacious on my notebook. What I did was copy the /var/cache/zypp/packages folder replacing the /var/cache/zypp/packages folder on my note. So I opened up YaST2 and marked audacious for installation. But when YaST2 starts the installation, instead of just install the audacious' rpm that is on cache, it redownload it.

The repo configuration is the same on my PC and my note, and I checked the version of the packages, and they're the same.

Thanks in advance.

It could be you also need to do the same copy trick with the /var/cache/zypper/raw folders, but I haven't played around with this yet.

So before you proceed : MAKE A BACKUP before mucking around!!

Let us know how you go!
    Wj
    Have a lot of fun!

countercraft NNTP User

hmmm.. I tried this, but YaST is still downloading again the rpms.

Quote Originally Posted by countercraft View Post
    Well, i got it! YaST and Zypper store the rpms on /var/cache/zypp/packages, but they aren't configurated to do this by default. It's necessary to edit each .repo on /etc/zypp/repos.d and change the keeppackages variable to 1.
    Or you can do:

Code:
    sudo zypper modifyrepo -k --all

pgradadia NNTP User

Quote Originally Posted by countercraft View Post
    Hi people, now I have another question
    How can I make YaST2 "see" the cache? Although the rpms are in /var/cache/zypp/packages, YaST2 insists in redownload them. For example, I've installed audacious on my PC, and I have its rpm in the cache. So I want to install audacious on my notebook. What I did was copy the /var/cache/zypp/packages folder replacing the /var/cache/zypp/packages folder on my note. So I opened up YaST2 and marked audacious for installation. But when YaST2 starts the installation, instead of just install the audacious' rpm that is on cache, it redownload it.

The repo configuration is the same on my PC and my note, and I checked the version of the packages, and they're the same.

Thanks in advance.

you can create addon from cache rpm using yast-addon-creator.
    add these addon into software repositery and then you can install it