I have a USR 56K fax/modem PCI card in my computer. This is one of the "old-fashioned" cards with the built-in controller (ie not a winmodem). This modem was working in a previous installation of openSUSE 10.3 x86_64 which I have wiped and done a fresh install of openSUSE 11.0 x86_64. The modem continues to work in a separate partition using Windows XP so there isn't any hardware issue. In openSUSE 11.0 the modem is listed in YaST as /dev/ttyS1. Here is the relevant output from lspci -v:

05:01.0 Serial controller: 3Com Corp, Modem Division 56K FaxModem Model 5610 (rev 01) (prog-if 02 [16550])
Subsystem: 3Com Corp, Modem Division Device 00d3
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 19
I/O ports at 9000 [size=8]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
Kernel driver in use: serial

The problem in openSUSE 11.0 is that there is no response from /dev/ttyS1 either using kppp or minicom. It isn't a permission issue either as I have also tried using minicom and kppp as root and just for fun trying for a response on /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS2.

I have configured the firewall to treat the modem the same way as my ethernet connection (External Zone), but even if I turn the firewall off it does not respond.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else might be worth trying?