Thread: openSuSe 11 Raid0 installation problem

drfleske NNTP User

Default openSuSe 11 Raid0 installation problem

Hello!

I'm trying to install openSuSe 11 on my system and got a problem. When it comes to disk partitioning my raid0 array isn't recognized,the disks are shown as separate drives...
    I think it's my raid0 configuration ( I have 2x250GB Intel ICH9R RAID0 setup with XP and Vista installed on it, and I have left free space for openSuSe to install).

Has anyone done it to install openSuSe on ICH9R software Raid0?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: openSuSe 11 Raid0 installation problem

Is xp and vista also on raid0?

drfleske NNTP User

yes, everything is installed on raid. I want now to install openSuSe on the raid array too.

Software raid setups like this are generally not supported unless the chipset manufacturer has released a driver that you can load into the kernel somehow. You would be much better off with a true hardware raid controller.

drfleske NNTP User

Quote Originally Posted by guyonearth View Post
    Software raid setups like this are generally not supported unless the chipset manufacturer has released a driver that you can load into the kernel somehow. You would be much better off with a true hardware raid controller.
    I know that but I don't have a hardware raid controller or another HDD, so I'm looking for a howto to install suse on the existing raid array

I would suggest checking on Intel's site to see if they have a linux driver or howto, but if not, what you want to do isn't practical.

I would suggest checking on Intel's site to see if they have a linux driver or howto, but if not, what you want to do isn't practical.