Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compiz window focus problem on openSUSE 11

Default Compiz window focus problem on openSUSE 11

Dear all,

once more, I need your help.
    I have just installed openSUSE 11, it went well and worked fine. It even installed the nVidia drivers correctly (I see the logo at logon, can adjust settings, and so on).

I wanted to try Compiz, so I enabled it in KDE session manager and restarted. All the visual effects are working great, but I have a very annoying problem: essentially, when I click in a non-focused window, the window appears to get the focus. The window comes up, I can work in it, but as soon as I try to resize, close, or move it, then the focus moves back to the previous window. It tries to perform the action on the other window! It happens every time, for every window, when I try to perform an action using the window buttons or the border.
    In order to actually pass the focus to another window, and be able to move , resize or close it, I have to click several times on the window title, and this is really unacceptable.

I looked in several forums in the Internet and in Google and apparently noone is having this problem. This is quite surprising, as my system is pretty clean (new openSUSE 11 installation with nVidia video card), and I did nothing but enabling Compiz.

Can you help me, please? Is there someone having the same problem?

Thanks

maTTeo

Niclas Ekstedt NNTP User

Default Re: Compiz window focus problem on openSUSE 11

mtcerio,

From a terminal, launch 'compizconfig-settings-manager'
    and have a look at what plugins you have enabled.

You might wanna try to disable them all and enable them one by one to see
    which is the culprit.

I run with Gnome and have never seen the problem you descibe with any of the
    default plugins.

--

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas Ekstedt View Post
    mtcerio,

From a terminal, launch 'compizconfig-settings-manager'
    and have a look at what plugins you have enabled.

You might wanna try to disable them all and enable them one by one to see
    which is the culprit.

I run with Gnome and have never seen the problem you descibe with any of the
    default plugins.
    Niclas,

Thanks for the quick reply, good point. I tried, and it seems related with the "Window decorator" plugin. But I cannot disable it, because otherwise all the decorations disappear: no more title, border for resizing, buttons for magnify or close.

I checked in the advanced options of the plugin but there is nothing interesting, I think.

Any idea?

maTTeo

it seems related with the "Window decorator" plugin. But I cannot disable it, because otherwise all the decorations disappear: no more title, border for resizing, buttons for magnify or close.
    You are on a wrong piste:
    Windows decorator plugin is responsible to draw your windows' borders. So the result is very normal.

Are you running on kde 4? I have used compiz since a long time and have never seen this bug. Since I haven't really used suse 11.0 with kde 4, I think it's a kde 4 related bug.

Quote Originally Posted by sefk View Post
    You are on a wrong piste:
    Windows decorator plugin is responsible to draw your windows' borders. So the result is very normal.

Are you running on kde 4? I have used compiz since a long time and have never seen this bug. Since I haven't really used suse 11.0 with kde 4, I think it's a kde 4 related bug.
    sefk,

Yes, I am running KDE 4. It's the openSUSE 11.0 default, I did not change any setting/installation option.

maTTeo

Niclas Ekstedt NNTP User

mtcerio,

Well, could be related to KDE4 as well, one way to find out would be to
    reinstall and select either KDE3.5 or Gnome instead.

Anyhow, you could try changing the Window Decorator, if that's possible in
    KDE. In Gnome one can select between the default GTK and the optional
    Emerald Window Decorator.

--

Dear all,

I solved my problem by upgrading compiz to the latest version using the openSUSE X11GL repositories. From my point of view, I draw 2 conclusions now (which can be wrong, of course!):

1) It was not a KDE problem, since I did not change any component of KDE. Rather, the problem was related to Compiz

2) It is possibly a bug of the version of Compiz installed and supported by openSUSE 11.0.

Thank you very much for your support, I'm enjoying window effects!

maTTeo

I had the same. It's one of the default settings for compiz-fusion in KDE4.
    Forgot which one, either trail focus or fading windows, I use neither anyway.
    OpenSuSE Leap 42.3 / KDE 5.8 | Intel i7 3770 | 16GBRam | 120 + 80GB SSD's | Benq 27" | DVD | PhilipsToUcam 740 | HPpsc2355p | Logitech KB & mouse | 320 +160 + 80 + 80 GB USB HDD's | Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7360 | (V)DSL 12 MB/s | SuSE since 2001

Niclas Ekstedt NNTP User

mtcerio,

Glad to hear you solved it, thanks for the post back.
    Sometimes the Buildservice repos, not only bring the latest and greatest but
    actually fix stuff as well ;-)

--

illingn NNTP User

I have just the same problem running SuSe 11.0 64-bit. Fresh install (and re-installed!). I'm running Compiz 0.7.4-31-x64_64 which (as far as I can tell) is the latest version I can see within repo_oss. Should I be looking somewhere else?

At the moment, the only workaround I've found is by right-clicking then left-clicking the title bar to really get focus!

Any help would be really appreciated. I can't wait to show this off to my work colleagues, but they'll laugh at my right/left clicking antics!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast