PPPoE / Ethernet-card doesn't work

Hi there
I’ve just installed the german version of openSUSE 11.0 i686 to my Dell Latitude D600 Laptop. My knowledge of Linux is not very good and I know almost nothing about SUSE. My problem is that I can’t connect to my extern Modem over Ethernet. kinternet allways says something like “smppd may not be working” or “you may not be in the group “dialout”” and that i should check the Server-Configuration. I think i did nothing wrong in the configuration of the provider. DHCP, PPPoE and other things shoulld be configured right. Maybe the problem is that my “Broadcom 570x Gigabit integrated controler” is not configured in yast. It says that there is a unknown networkdevice wich is unconnected. That seems a bit strange to me because in some screen of tthe shell I definatly saw the whole name of the card and there was no failur.

Edit: I’m not sure if it helps but the adress of th card should be
MAC:00:0d:56:e7:53:81
If anybody knows, what my problem is and how to sole it i would be pleased.

• dabigjones,

did you configure DSL throught Yast, Network devices, DSL? After that, it should plain work.

Uwe

I do have the same problem. Itried this [How-To](kate: cannot connect to X serve)
I still get those errors through Kinternet though.

Yes I did configure it with the DSL menue but nothing worked. Maybe someone can tell me the how to start internet through shell so i can see a usefull error message.

On 06/23/2008 dabigjones wrote:
> Yes I did configure it with the DSL menue but nothing worked. Maybe
> someone can tell me the how to start internet through shell so i can
> see a usefull error message.

As root: ifup dsl0

Uwe

yeah it works. I’m not sure why but the login over the shell works. It seems a bit slow but i think i can handle this thanks uwe.

• dabigjones wrote, On 06/23/2008 04:56 PM:
    > yeah it works. I’m not sure why but the login over the shell works. It
    > seems a bit slow but i think i can handle this thanks uwe.
    >

And the network manager applet doesn’t show it? That’s odd, I recall it worked fine for me once it was configured through Yast.

Anyway, if you can deal with it, fine. Me, I think any dealing with direct DSL connections is a waste of time, given the price of simple DSL routers.

Uwe