Thread: problem with soundcards when moved to OpenSuse 11

ekral NNTP User

Default problem with soundcards when moved to OpenSuse 11

Hi,

I am not expert, but I have problem with my soundcards, it used to work with OpenSuse 10.3 but when I tried to add new soundcard with YaST2, there is no sound for both soundcards (internal and usb). But sometimes I get sound for both at Gnome sound config panel from usb sound card, even I have not added it at YaST2, its really strange.

Please do you know what have changed at audio since 10.3? Is there any solution, how can I check where is the problem?

Thanks

erik

Blog Entries

Default Re: problem with soundcards when moved to OpenSuse 11

Quote Originally Posted by ekral View Post
    I have problem with my soundcards, it used to work with OpenSuse 10.3 but when I tried to add new soundcard with YaST2, there is no sound for both soundcards (internal and usb). But sometimes I get sound for both at Gnome sound config panel from usb sound card, even I have not added it at YaST2, its really strange.

Please do you know what have changed at audio since 10.3?
    Sorry to read about your sound problem with 11.0. It might be possible to help you, but you must provide more specific information. ... and yes, there was a lot changed with openSUSE-11.0, with the addition of a new audio layer, known as "pulse audio".

Please, can you try working your way through the audio troubleshooting guide for openSUSE:
    SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE

and if that doesn't work, please post here the output of the following:
    a. the URL(s) created by running the two diagnostic scripts from the audio troubleshooting guide:
    Scripts_to_run_to_obtain_detailed_information

b. the output of:
    rpm -qa | grep alsa
    rpm -qa | grep pulse
    rpm -q libasound2
    uname -a
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound

... note, sometimes with Linux (like anything in life) its easier to tackle things one thing at a time. So you could try getting your mother board sound working first, and ONLY after that is running happily, try to get the USB sound device functioning.