Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: No internet connection in 11.0-works fine in ubuntu and 10.3

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central Coast, Australia
    Posts
    19

    Default No internet connection in 11.0-works fine in ubuntu and 10.3

    Hi, I am having real trouble getting my wireless internet connection to work in Suse. I have just installed opensuse 11 coming from Ubuntu 8.04, and wireless was working fine in Ubuntu (detected the SSID of my wireless router, asked for WPA-PSK, then connected and was on the net with no troubles). However in Suse KDE4 it didn't seem to automatically detect my wireless access point. If I went to "add new connection" in knetworkmanager and put in SSID and WPA manually, it would then connect to router but not have internet access.

    As I had played around with some settings during install I thought maybe I had broken something, so did a fresh install last night with gnome (I thought gnomes network manager might give me more success) and left default configuration during install as is. This time in gnome it does detect my wireless access point, and connects (very slowly compared to Ubuntu), but then again no internet access. I can log into my router, and ping both my router and modem (forgot to try logging into modem though), but try and open a webpage in firefox and get nothing (doesnt even look like it's trying to connect to a page, just does nothing).

    I'm assuming there is a setting somewhere that is the problem, but it is very frustrating as it was so easy in Ubuntu to get it working, and even when I previously had opensuse 10.3 in the past there were no troubles like this. I've got no idea what to look for though, have played around with network settings in yast but no success. If anyone has any ideas that would be great.

    I am writing this from Vista (dual boot) atm and it tells me in device manager that I have an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection if that helps, but I don't think it's a hardware or driver problem as it connects to router but just cannot access net.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: No internet connection in 11.0-works fine in ubuntu and

    Hi there, it sounds like you are having a problem similar to what I ran into. What is going on is that there is a kernel/driver mismatch (the kernel version in OpenSUSE 11 doesn't support the default drivers that are installed at installation). So what you need to do is follow this tutorial I created in another post. This should fix your wireless problem:
    Solution for slow internet connection with intel 3945 - openSUSE Forums

    Hope this helps you out.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central Coast, Australia
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: No internet connection in 11.0-works fine in ubuntu and

    Thanks for that - I'll download the rpm mentioned by someone a bit further down your tutorial and boot back into suse to try it out.

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostwind View Post
    "...the kernel version in OpenSUSE 11 doesn't support the default drivers that are installed at installation..."
    Is it just me or is it crazy that the kernel version doesn't support the default installed drivers?? I mean I really respect the brilliance of the ppl behind opensuse and other linux distros, but this just doesn't make sense to me. Granted I'm a bit of a newb still so I'm sure there is more to that I don't understand so I'll leave it at that.

    I have to boot back into my currently internet-less suse to try this out so I'll head back here if i'm still stuck.

    Thanks again.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: No internet connection in 11.0-works fine in ubuntu and

    make sure it is for your kernel version.

    And Glad I could help

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central Coast, Australia
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: No internet connection in 11.0-works fine in ubuntu and

    Ghostwind -> I installed the latest wireless drivers as you suggested in your post, but still no go. I ended up compiling them as you did and it all went without a hitch. Now, my computer connects much faster to the wireless router than it did before which is great, but I still can't connect to the net.

    Once connected, logging into my router and adsl modem is still fine, just can't get to a web page. It doesn't even give me a "page load error" or "page not found" or anything, just sits there blank with "(untitled)" in the tab name, as though it didn't even try to find a web page. Package manager in yast can't update. Konqueror wouldn't load a page either.

    It's obviously not a problem with the wireless drivers. To me, it seems like there is a firewall or something blocking firefox/yast etc from accessing the net. I tried turning of both the suse firewall and apparmour (not sure what this one does), but still no luck.

    The only thing I can put it down to is that I have something wrong in my network settings.

    The following links are screenshots of my network settings and network card settings, in case anyone might know how to help from here...

    Network Settings:
    http://jaminday.googlepages.com/Netw...balOptions.png
    http://jaminday.googlepages.com/Netw...s-Overview.png
    http://jaminday.googlepages.com/Netw...s-Hostname.png
    http://jaminday.googlepages.com/Netw...gs-Routing.png

    Network Card Setup
    http://jaminday.googlepages.com/Netw...up-General.png
    http://jaminday.googlepages.com/Netw...up-Address.png
    http://jaminday.googlepages.com/Netw...p-Hardware.png
    http://jaminday.googlepages.com/Wire...figuration.png

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: No internet connection in 11.0-works fine in ubuntu and

    Hello again,

    I noticed a couple things with your settings. First, in your network settings, did you change your dhcp settings to DHCP+AUTOIP? Also, in your network card setup, under dynamic address, you have DHCP+ZeroConf. was this somthing you changed as well? The standard configuration for both should be just DHCP.

    Also, have you tried to connect to another AP? it may very well be your router causing the problem.

    -c

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central Coast, Australia
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: No internet connection in 11.0-works fine in ubuntu and

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostwind View Post
    Hello again,

    I noticed a couple things with your settings. First, in your network settings, did you change your dhcp settings to DHCP+AUTOIP? Also, in your network card setup, under dynamic address, you have DHCP+ZeroConf. was this somthing you changed as well? The standard configuration for both should be just DHCP.

    Also, have you tried to connect to another AP? it may very well be your router causing the problem.

    -c
    Yes, I believe I did change those settings in an attempt to get things working, but as far as I know it was not working before I changed them either.

    Anyway, like you mentioned I tried going back to an old wireless router I was using up until a couple weeks ago, and all of a sudden it worked! I'm not sure why the newer router was causing problems, as it worked fine in Vista and Ubuntu, but the older one connected straight away and I was on the net with no troubles.

    I don't know that much about configuring routers but I have decided just to stick with the old one again. The reason I changed was that it kept dropping the internet connection quite frequently, but so far I haven't had that problem with suse so hopefully it won't be an issue.

    Thanks again for all your help!

  8. #8
    Robert Smits NNTP User

    Default Re: No internet connection in 11.0-works fine in ubuntu and 10.3

    nimajiman wrote:

    >
    > Hi, I am having real trouble getting my wireless internet connection to
    > work in Suse. I have just installed opensuse 11 coming from Ubuntu
    > 8.04, and wireless was working fine in Ubuntu (detected the SSID of my
    > wireless router, asked for WPA-PSK, then connected and was on the net
    > with no troubles). However in Suse KDE4 it didn't seem to automatically
    > detect my wireless access point. If I went to "add new connection" in
    > knetworkmanager and put in SSID and WPA manually, it would then connect
    > to router but not have internet access.
    >
    > As I had played around with some settings during install I thought
    > maybe I had broken something, so did a fresh install last night with
    > gnome (I thought gnomes network manager might give me more success) and
    > left default configuration during install as is. This time in gnome it
    > does detect my wireless access point, and connects (very slowly
    > compared to Ubuntu), but then again no internet access. I can log into
    > my router, and ping both my router and modem (forgot to try logging
    > into modem though), but try and open a webpage in firefox and get
    > nothing (doesnt even look like it's trying to connect to a page, just
    > does nothing).
    >
    > I'm assuming there is a setting somewhere that is the problem, but it
    > is very frustrating as it was so easy in Ubuntu to get it working, and
    > even when I previously had opensuse 10.3 in the past there were no
    > troubles like this. I've got no idea what to look for though, have
    > played around with network settings in yast but no success. If anyone
    > has any ideas that would be great.
    >
    > I am writing this from Vista (dual boot) atm and it tells me in device
    > manager that I have an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection if
    > that helps, but I don't think it's a hardware or driver problem as it
    > connects to router but just cannot access net.
    >
    >

    Add the compat-wireless drivers from
    http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download

    Reboot.

    Bob
    --
    bob@rsmits.ca (Robert Smits, Ladysmith BC)

    "I'm not one of those who think Bill Gates is the devil. I simply suspect
    that if Microsoft ever met up with the devil, it wouldn't need an
    interpreter." - Nicholas Petreley


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: No internet connection in 11.0-works fine in ubuntu and

    I believe he has already done that

    -c

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •