Can I has back 10.3 console splash?

Admit it, you liked the old one better.

So, my brothers, let us all join forces to restore the coolness of yesteryear, watching text fly as our computers boot!

How to change that console splash… :rolleyes:

The Esc key still shows you the boot process, the new boot splash just doesn’t tell you that. There is a way to configure it so by default it shows the boot process, but it is escaping my mind at the monment, maybe someone else will know.

Actually, I’m speaking of the watermark on tty1.

Right now it’s just a bunch of evenly spaced, vertical & horizontally skewed dots.

Which, when one goes back to tty1 to do anything, is ugly as sin in comparison with the openSUSE 10.3 tty1 watermark.

9.6 The Graphical SUSE Screen

The graphical SUSE screen is displayed on the first console if the option vga=value is used as a kernel parameter. If you install using YaST, this option is automatically activated in accordance with the selected resolution and the graphics card. There are three ways to disable the SUSE screen, if desired:

Disabling the SUSE Screen When Necessary

Enter the command echo 0 >/proc/splash on the command line to disable the graphical screen. To activate it again, enter echo 1 >/proc/splash. 

Disabling the SUSE screen by default.

Add the kernel parameter splash=0 to your boot loader configuration. Section 9.0, The Boot Loader provides more information about this. However, if you prefer the text mode, which was the default in earlier versions, set vga=normal. 

Completely Disabling the SUSE Screen

Compile a new kernel and disable the option Use splash screen instead of boot logo in framebuffer support.

HINT: Disabling framebuffer support in the kernel automatically disables the splash screen as well. SUSE cannot provide any support for your system if you run it with a custom kernel.

11.0 Reference Guide

vendion schrieb:
> The Esc key still shows you the boot process, the new boot splash just
> doesn’t tell you that. There is a way to configure it so by default it
> shows the boot process, but it is escaping my mind at the monment, maybe
> someone else will know.

Change “splash=silent” to “splash=verbose” in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Tilman Schmidt t.schmidt@phoenixsoftware.de
Phoenix Software GmbH www.phoenixsoftware.de
Adolf-Hombitzer-Str. 12 Amtsgericht Bonn HRB 2934
53227 Bonn, Germany Geschäftsführer: W. Grießl