Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpenSUSE 11 and Cisco VPNClient

Default OpenSUSE 11 and Cisco VPNClient

I just moved back to OpenSUSE and I am having one problem at this point and that is getting the vpnclient to work. I am able to connect using vpnc but it doesn't appear to disable local lan access as the cisco client does so I am limited on accessing my companies resources unless I know the IP address.

I have followed the steps required when I was using 10.3 but I am unable to get it to work on this version.

Has anyone gotten this to work on 11 and can you post a how-to? I'd appreciate it.

Default Re: OpenSUSE 11 and Cisco VPNClient

Has anyone gotten this to work on 2.6.25.5-1.1-pae? I assume there is a new .diff somewhere? I really need to get this working. Vpnc is less than ideal at this point.

I'm able to work around the name resolution issue but it is kind of annoying.

I would really appreciate the help.

Well, it looks like I've got it working now. For anyone else who runs into this, here is what I ended up doing.

I had to download a newer version of vpnclient which I found here.

[www.tuxx-home.at] - Website of Alexander Griesser | New Cisco VPN Client 4.8.01.0640-k9 compiles on 2.6.22 out of the box!

I had vpnclient-linux-x86_64-4.8.00.0490-k9.tar.gz and the new version was vpnclient-linux-x86_64-4.8.01.0640-k9.tar.gz.

After downloading the new version I had to apply the 2.4 patch from

http://projects.tuxx-home.at/ciscovp....24-final.diff

Ares:/opt/vpnclient # patch < ./vpnclient-linux-2.6.24-final.diff
    patching file GenDefs.h
    patching file interceptor.c
    Ares:/opt/vpnclient #

This was by far the cleanest output I've gotten. After this the install went perfectly.

cologsx NNTP User

I did exactly what you did but I'm still unable to install.

uname -r
    2.6.25.5-1.1-default

Making module
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/vpnclient modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1-obj/x86_64/default'
    make -C /usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1 O=/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1-obj/x86_64/default/. modules
    /usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1/scripts/Makefile.build:46: *** CFLAGS was changed in "/tmp/vpnclient/Makefile". Fix it to use EXTRA_CFLAGS. Stop.
    make[3]: *** [_module_/tmp/vpnclient] Error 2
    make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1-obj/x86_64/default'
    make: *** [default] Error 2
    Failed to make module "cisco_ipsec.ko".

Any thoughts?

I use kvpnc to connect to my work. Highly customisable for a range of connections. Works great. Available from main repo's in YaST (10.3) or direct from kvpnc homepage.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

You can try editing /tmp/vpnclient/Makefile and replacing CFLAGS entry with EXTRA_CFLAGS to see if that gets you anywhere. With the version of vpnclient you are installing there should be little patching done and an easier install. Are you sure you have all the prereq's installed?

cologsx NNTP User

Quote Originally Posted by rugger_2 View Post
    You can try editing /tmp/vpnclient/Makefile and replacing CFLAGS entry with EXTRA_CFLAGS to see if that gets you anywhere. With the version of vpnclient you are installing there should be little patching done and an easier install. Are you sure you have all the prereq's installed?
    Tried replacing CFLAGS with EXTRA_CFLAGS and here is the result:

Making module
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/build SUBDIRS=/home/sbell/vpnclient modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1-obj/x86_64/default'
    make -C /usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1 O=/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1-obj/x86_64/default/. modules
    CC [M] /home/sbell/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.o
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c: In function CniInjectReceive:
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:341: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:342: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c: In function CniInjectSend:
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:481: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:482: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:491: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:491: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
    CC [M] /home/sbell/vpnclient/frag.o
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/frag.c: In function queue_fragment:
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/frag.c:50: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/frag.c:50: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/frag.c:52: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/frag.c:52: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/frag.c:70: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/frag.c:70: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/frag.c:73: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/frag.c:73: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/frag.c: In function have_all_fragments:
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/frag.c:126: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/frag.c:126: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/frag.c:134: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/frag.c:134: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/frag.c:141: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/frag.c:141: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/frag.c:142: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/frag.c:146: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/frag.c:146: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/frag.c: In function need_reorder_frag:
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/frag.c:198: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
    CC [M] /home/sbell/vpnclient/IPSecDrvOS_linux.o
    CC [M] /home/sbell/vpnclient/interceptor.o
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/interceptor.c: In function recv_ip_packet_handler:
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/interceptor.c:655: warning: assignment makes integer from pointer without a cast
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/interceptor.c:676: warning: passing argument 2 of CniNewFragment makes pointer from integer without a cast
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/interceptor.c: In function do_cni_send:
    /home/sbell/vpnclient/interceptor.c:794: error: invalid operands to binary - (have sk_buff_data_t and unsigned char*)
    make[4]: *** [/home/sbell/vpnclient/interceptor.o] Error 1
    make[3]: *** [_module_/home/sbell/vpnclient] Error 2
    make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1-obj/x86_64/default'
    make: *** [default] Error 2
    Failed to make module "cisco_ipsec.ko".

cologsx NNTP User

~ # rpm -qa *glibc* *kernel* *gcc*
    libgcc43-4.3.1_20080507-6.1
    glibc-devel-2.8-14.1
    glibc-locale-32bit-2.8-14.1
    glibc-locale-2.8-14.1
    libgcc43-32bit-4.3.1_20080507-6.1
    linux-kernel-headers-2.6.25-8.1
    gcc-4.3-39.1
    glibc-2.8-14.1
    glibc-32bit-2.8-14.1
    kernel-default-2.6.25.5-1.1
    kernel-source-2.6.25.5-1.1
    gcc43-4.3.1_20080507-6.1

Am I missing any other prereq's?

cyberslug NNTP User

I am having the same VPN compile issues, i got around the extra_cflags thing by setting KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC. I will try this in conjunction with the diff and build above tonight, see if it works.

cyberslug wrote:
    > I am having the same VPN compile issues, i got around the extra_cflags
    > thing by setting KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC. I will try this in conjunction with
    > the diff and build above tonight, see if it works.
    >
    >

This may not work for all of you... but I use vpnc instead of
    the Cisco client (because Cisco really has NO interest in
    making their client work right). It all depends of course
    upon your config, but if you can use vpnc, you'll find that
    it's a whole lot more stable then Cisco's less-than-supported
    VPN client.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast