Internet doesn't work in integrated laptop

Hello,

I’m a bit noob in linux and I installed OpenSUSE 11.0 stable to laptop and when running first time internet doesn’t work. Laptop is now connected to the router with usb but it has also integrated wlan (and wlan used to be main connection).

I have tried to look for connection settings in yast and reconfigured something with no luck. What to try next?

Laptop is Acer Aspire 5520.

Help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

I am afraid I do not fully understand you.

Do you mean you have connection to your router (through USB) but can not get to the internet.

Or do you mean that your wlan card is not working.

Or both?

I don’t have any connection, router or whatsoever, i think, I don’t know exactly how to configure or check one. This laptop has also windows on doubleboot and there wlan and eth work like charm.

So the bottom line: I cannot get to the internet.

The bottom line is not that can not get to the internet. That is the end result you try to achieve. The bottom line is that you can not get your wlan working. For that sort of problems we have a forum called “Wireless”.
I strongly advise you to go there, because people with knowledge about wireless lan are looking there and not here. I also advise you to tell more in your new thread about your wifi card (make and type), and what you did to get it working, etc., because they are not clairvoyant and the simple statement “it does not work” is not enough info.

Sorry, I didn’t notice. My bad.

Sorry about that too. Actually I don’t even know the specs of that laptop (it’s not actually mine, I’m building the os for my fiancée). Wait a bit, I’ll check — okay, it’s Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter.

Could some administrator or moderator move this to that specific wireless area?

I found this one. Read throught it, it is also about Atheros and oldcpu mentiones some usefull links

11.0’s wireless support is very bad!! - openSUSE Forums

I’m afraid I didn’t understand much of that :frowning: and I can’t install any modules or wlan-drivers or anything without internet-connection. So what should I do with that laptop? meanwhile I have to use windows on it.

If you use a cable ethernet connection from your router to your laptop (preferably not USB), the Internet will appear without any need to install anything.

Acer tends to use non-standard wlan hardware; so your chance of getting it working is limited. Forget it and go cable.

rollex2 wrote:
> hcvv;1823005 Wrote:
>> I found this one. Read throught it, it is also about Atheros and oldcpu
>> mentiones some usefull links
>>
>> ‘11.0’s wireless support is very bad!! - openSUSE Forums’
>> (http://tinyurl.com/5gv5qp)
>
> I’m afraid I didn’t understand much of that :frowning: and I can’t install any
> modules or wlan-drivers or anything without internet-connection. So
> what should I do with that laptop? meanwhile I have to use windows on
> it.

First of all, tell us what hardware you have. You gave us nothing to
help you. You will be able to get that information by opening a
terminal and typing the command ‘lspci -v’. Alternatively, you can get
the information from the Windows device manager.

Larry