Thread: Trying to configure VMWare Workstation 6.04

Default Trying to configure VMWare Workstation 6.04

I've installed the mentioned product into my system, but configuring gave me a real warning. Before I give this warning I'll show you what SuSE 11 has onboard:

The kernel:
    uname -a
    Linux linux-1vmb 2.6.25.5-1.1-default #1 SMP 2008-06-07 01:55:22 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The gcc compiler:
    gcc --version
    gcc (SUSE Linux) 4.3.1 20080507 (prerelease) [gcc-4_3-branch revision 135036]
    Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
    warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Then vmware-config.pl tries to compile a module the configurator claims that the kernel mentioned above has been compiled with a different gcc compiler version than that I've installed. It also says that if I compile vmware might crash badly, so I've cancelled the attempt and I've also uninstalled the vmware product. I think that a newer version of vmware deals with this issue.

I find it weird that an important part of the system, gcc, is a pre-release. I hope that this can be corrected by automatic updates or repositories.

Now I've given VirtualBox a try and it's also a very cool product. Kudos to Sun!

Beside this compatibility issue OpenSuSE 11 is a terrific version on which I'm very happy!

Kudos to OpenSuSE!

Default Re: Trying to configure VMWare Workstation 6.04

Btw: I forgot to tell that I've installed Linux in a plain way using stock repositories: OSS, Non-OSS and Updates. Therefore I find the compiler compatibility warning issued by vmware so weird!

Sorry, but I've just encountered another tread about this issue:
    VMware workstation on SuSE 11.0 - won't config - openSUSE Forums

So, you can close or even delete this one, since I now use that tread.

Tread closed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom2k View Post
    Now I've given VirtualBox a try and it's also a very cool product. Kudos to Sun
    well kudos for their wallet then perhaps. virtualbox is not developed by sun they just bought the company that did.

It is a great product though and besides NAT networking and usb-ipos-issues it is my favourite virtual machine manager. And it is free as well, they have a GPL version and futher it is gratis as opposed to vmware workstation (which does sync ipods by the way).

stefan
    "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they make a vacuum cleaner"
    Hardware: Dell Precision M65