Trying to configure VMWare Workstation 6.04

I’ve installed the mentioned product into my system, but configuring gave me a real warning. Before I give this warning I’ll show you what SuSE 11 has onboard:

The kernel:
uname -a
Linux linux-1vmb 2.6.25.5-1.1-default #1 SMP 2008-06-07 01:55:22 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The gcc compiler:
gcc --version
gcc (SUSE Linux) 4.3.1 20080507 (prerelease) [gcc-4_3-branch revision 135036]
Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Then vmware-config.pl tries to compile a module the configurator claims that the kernel mentioned above has been compiled with a different gcc compiler version than that I’ve installed. It also says that if I compile vmware might crash badly, so I’ve cancelled the attempt and I’ve also uninstalled the vmware product. I think that a newer version of vmware deals with this issue.

I find it weird that an important part of the system, gcc, is a pre-release. I hope that this can be corrected by automatic updates or repositories.

Now I’ve given VirtualBox a try and it’s also a very cool product. Kudos to Sun!

Beside this compatibility issue OpenSuSE 11 is a terrific version on which I’m very happy!

Kudos to OpenSuSE!

Btw: I forgot to tell that I’ve installed Linux in a plain way using stock repositories: OSS, Non-OSS and Updates. Therefore I find the compiler compatibility warning issued by vmware so weird!

Sorry, but I’ve just encountered another tread about this issue:
VMware workstation on SuSE 11.0 - won’t config - openSUSE Forums

So, you can close or even delete this one, since I now use that tread.

Tread closed!

well kudos for their wallet then perhaps. virtualbox is not developed by sun they just bought the company that did.

It is a great product though and besides NAT networking and usb-ipos-issues it is my favourite virtual machine manager. And it is free as well, they have a GPL version and futher it is gratis as opposed to vmware workstation (which does sync ipods by the way).

stefan