Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot graphically mount media and drives (they're missing)

Default Cannot graphically mount media and drives (they're missing)

I have tried both OpenSUSE 11 kde4 and Gnome, yet both of them, the file managers do not even show the option to mount any of the 5 or so partitions I have on the system.

Short of making a desktop shortcut that commands for e.g. "sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/Windows/" There's no real way to mount them.

When I plug in a usb or so, it (vfat) will ask me what I want to do, but when I turn on my esata-expresscard external drive, there is no option to mount that like there should be.

Is anyone having this same problem or recommends a fix?

Thank you

Default Re: Cannot graphically mount media and drives (they're missi

Not sure what you mean. With a normal install, OpenSUSE mounts all available partitions, including Windows, and you don't have to mount them manually. Did you do an expert partition and fail to mount the partitions in the course of that?

John

please, with all drives plugged in, post your fstab and the result output of fdisk -l

Hi,

I have an quite similar or the same problem. When I plug in my USB-HDD (and turn power on) Suse recognizes it and asks me, what I want to do. But if I choose something like opening the drive it says:

Code:
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc7, missing codepage or helper program, or other error In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so
    The partitions on the drives are NTFS-formated.

Arrow Re: Cannot graphically mount media and drives (they're missi

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    .... Did you do an expert partition and fail to mount the partitions in the course of that?

John
    Yes, I did an expert install both times and now I am in belief that that was the problem.

Here is my fstab:
    Code:
    brian@Inspiron:~> cat /etc/fstab
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD1600BEVS-_WD-WXE307H32559-part7 /        ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 1
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD1600BEVS-_WD-WXE307H32559-part9 swap        swap       defaults              0 0
    proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              00
    sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                00
    debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                00
    usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                00
    devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       00
    here is my fdisk -l
    Code:
    brian@Inspiron:~> sudo /sbin/fdisk -l
    root's password:

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x7a695750

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1   *           1        9896    79488000    7  HPFS/NTFS < Windows Vista
    /dev/sda2            9897       19457    76798732+   5  Extended
    /dev/sda5            9897       13812    31455238+  83  Linux < Ubuntu Hardy
    /dev/sda6           13813       16511    21679686   83  Linux < OpenSUSE 11 Gnome
    /dev/sda7           16512       19188    21501952   83  Linux < OpenSUSE 11 KDE4 (running)
    /dev/sda8           19189       19196       64228+  83  Linux < Grub boot partition
    /dev/sda9           19197       19457     2096451   82  Linux swap / Solaris
    It isn't that my partitions aren't automounted, it's that I can't go to dolphin, nautilus, thunar, pcmanfm, Desktop>shortcut>device, etc to be able to mount a partition. They seem to be missing unless I go to the command line and mount them individually.

I have been very used to Ubuntu that has this feature of auto-detected partitions(and via GUI apps), does OpenSUSE not have that?

Also, I plug in an external hard drive through eSATA that holds my music. eSATA makes it appear as though it is an internal drive. However, it also does not appear anywhere unless I mount it through command line.

However, when I insert a usb drive, it pops up with a window asking me what I want to do (ie mount it)

Edit
    : When I go to sysinfo:/ in Konqueror, it shows the drives, but when I click on them nothing happens and when I right-click on them, there is no option to mount them.

Thank you

@ CheesyBeef
    Which filesystem are you using? Is it ntfs? I've had the same problem in Fedora 9 with ntfs-drives.
    System:
    PC: Dell Inspirion 9400 Notebook
    GPU: Nvidia Geforce Go 7800
    CPU: Intel Centrino Duo 2* 1833 MHz

Try YasT->System->Partitioner and select a partition to edit. If no mount point is specified, e.g. on mine, Windows is /windows/C, specify one. If mount points are specified, then I cannot help you further.

Try YasT->System->Partitioner and select a partition to edit. If no mount point is specified, e.g. on mine, Windows is /windows/C, specify one. If mount points are specified, then I cannot help you further.

Good tip. Just make sure that the mount point exists .e.g /windows/C before you set the mount point.

As I see in the Partitioner, my external drives are not mounted( have no mountpoint), but I can see them in Konqueror. It's a newbe question, but how do I mount them? I never mounted Drives manually.

regarts

Victor
    System:
    PC: Dell Inspirion 9400 Notebook
    GPU: Nvidia Geforce Go 7800
    CPU: Intel Centrino Duo 2* 1833 MHz

mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/blah_blah /mnt/yourmountpoint

or sometimes if ntfs was not shutdown neatly

mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/blah_blah /mnt/yourmountpoint -o force

be careful with force option..

for other options consult the man page