Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Impressions after Installation of openSUSE 11.0

bloomuen NNTP User

Unhappy First Impressions after Installation of openSUSE 11.0

I'm using Linux as my main OS for several years now and (open)SuSE every now and then since the 7.0 release. Though I see that people with critical annotations get shouted down by "real" enthusiasts oftentimes (see soapbox section pp.) I have the impression that 11.0 is much more premature than earlier major releases and guess it's o.k. to say so.

During the installation (on sdb) a ntfs partition with Win XP (sda1) was recognized as a partition with an "unknown filesystem" so - consistently - there isn't any entry in GRUBs menu.lst for Win XP An empty fat32 partition (dedicated for common data storage) gets listed as "Other Linux" (never experienced something like this before with any distribution I installed or tried as I live-version).

With kde4 (not really stable yet, I know) I get messages every 2 or 3 seconds that knotify had crashed (different explanations each (!) time). Right now there are about 20 message windows open. With kde3 (pretty stabe yet, I know) I get these messages every 20 seconds - wow! Maybe due to the frequent error messages display freezes again and again. Desktop effects don't work at all. Trying to activate them really often leads to black screens. Pretty poor.

My system (desktop) is about 1 1/2 years old (nVidia graphics card 8600 gs, 2 GB RAM) and therefore pretty easy to handle for almost any contemporary Linux distribution (exept openSuSE 11) - bummer!

Default Re: First Impressions after Installation of openSUSE 11.0

Funny - I installed 11.0 on two machines yesterday, a QC Xeon + AMD 64 4800+, both of them installed cleanly, without any issues and the only things I had to do was 1-click nVidia drivers, 1-click MP3 support and have a stab at the X-FI drivers (but that's Creatives fault and not SuSE) and I was rolling butter smooth on both machines.

I think it's OK to say this has been the best SuSE in the recent years.

bloomuen NNTP User

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysantine View Post
    I think it's OK to say this has been the best SuSE in the recent years.
    That needn't be contracitory!

I haven't had any issues with openSUSE 11 either, kde 3.5.9 works perfectly when I tried it, I have some problems with gnome and pulseaudio but then again all the distros with pulseaudio I try give me problems.

Otherwise its been very stable for me aside the fact that kde 4 has many bugs still, but thats it.
    openSUSE 11.0 Kde 3.5.9 Linux kernel 2.6.26.1

My Blog: http://snake1990.wordpress.com

Hello,

i want to post some of my first impressions:
    The new installer is amazing and was working for me as it should

then some problems arrived. i decided kd4 as desktop because i want to see how it works. The first impression was that all fonts were fuzzy. I played around and found out that the antialiasing effect of kde4 caused this. After I set the hinting style to "complete" all fonts were good and readable.

The next step was to install the nvidia driver from the nvidia repositories. it worked well so far except for that I now had only 60 Hz refresh rate (have a CRT monitor). Then I found out that the "Modline" in xorg.conf was missing. I added the one I used in 10.3 (with the same monitor) and got back 100 Hz

For now I am happy with kde4. ok sometimes it seems not to be as stable as kde3 but for my purposes it is still usable and I like the desktop effects and it's easy configuration

Unhappy Re: First Impressions after Installation of openSUSE 11.0

Sadly disappointing

I never had any problems with 10.3.

So far:

1. Permanent error (with ALL versions of KDE4) on each login, nobody seems to know why either.

2. Network manager icon changes to that green globe thing on logout/logbackin.

3. Plasma crashes when I plug in my USB (reiser encrypted) drive.

4. Dolphin has no "media" shortcut anymore, it's NOT the same simply making a link to /media.

5. "popping" sound from my speakers, mostly when running on battery.

6. No laptop keys work, ie no mute/volume etc'.

7. The tray icons get corrupted sometimes.

But on the upside:

1. I can now use "fwcutter" and the associated driver files for my Broadcom 4312, and it starts perfectly on each boot.

2. Dolphin finally has a "delete" function, and the "terminal" thing is handy.

openSUSE 11, all updates (as of today), KDE4, HP dv6645 laptop, 2 gigs, AMD Turion, Nvidia 8400gs m (using the repo drivers as installed automatically by the update tool).

besides every update is improving kde 4 on 11, I was unable to eject my dvd using the recently plugged devices widget and now today I can, updates r coming in very quickly
    openSUSE 11.0 Kde 3.5.9 Linux kernel 2.6.26.1

My Blog: http://snake1990.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by wehrmacht View Post
    Sadly disappointing
    Looks like every single problem on the list is due to KDE4 - please switch to KDE3.5 and let's see how that 11.0 treats you

i get the knotify problem too! although not as often as you, quite why i don't know, as, like you said, the error messages are different each time. maybe a bug? but i can't really report it since i don't know what causes it...

Thumbs up Re: First Impressions after Installation of openSUSE 11.0

I have played with OpenSuSe 11 64 bit since b3 using the Live Gnome CD. Today I installed the DVD as a clean install, using the Gnome desktop.
    The only thing I do to "cheat" a little in enabling browser plugins is to download Firefox and unzip it to my home folder, then paste in all the plug ins I need, Java, Flash, mplayer. Through all the beta's and release candidates I just could not get the Java plugins to work, all other plugins were fine, but Java was no go.
    Firefox runs fine, there's no discernible loss of performance / speed or anything so it makes no difference to me. Oh yes, to improve the fonts in Firefox I copy the firefox-openSUSE.js file out of the default firefox installation folder to my own in /home/peterm/firefox/defaults/pref
    I use the 64 bit version because my vmware machines are much faster on a 64 bit system than on a 32 bit system. I use vm's extensively for testing and study and often have a team of 4 servers and a desktop running.
    Everything works, I am impressed. Great work guys and gals.
    Regards Peter.
    Desktop - OpenSuse 11.4 64 bit. LapTop - OpenSUSE 11.4, triple booting with Win7 and Splashtop OS
    Linux is cool! Everything else is a VM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast