Opensuse and WinServer2003 password

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how to stop OpenSuse 11 from asking for my Winserver2003 FileServer password every time I would like to access the Winserver2003 files.

I would like to just open the files directly and remember the user/password.

The user/pass are the same between the OpenSuse11 and the WinServer2003.

I used Swerdna’s guide on 10.3 to configure Samba.

Would it still ask for a user/pass if my FileServer was Debian Etch instead?

Thanks

Heeter

I’d say debian etch for a fileserver would be a smarter choize in all circumstances anyway compared to w2k3.

anyway I used samba shares too from KDE4. there are imho two ways to do this, one is through your filemanager. I added a samba share through the network tab in dolphin and then click add network folder. If you enter your credentials here and choose to save them in your kde wallet without password it should not trigger for a password again.

What i ususally do is mount the samba share manually on the CLI with credentials, which unfortunately will the be visible in the process list though

# mkdir /mount/point
# mount -t cifs //ipadressofserver/share /mount/point -o username={user},password={password}

or add the cifs mount to your /etc/fstab to mount it every boot

stefan

I don’t mind it being visible through the workstations, not in this particular setup I have here.

Thanks

I will try that right away.

I think that I might move to debian as well, later on in the summer.

Heeter

You can put your credentials in a hidden file like /home/hilary/crypt_cave/.creds
and in the file .creds put like this:

username=whatever
password=somethingorother

and make the file rw-------

and use a mount like this in fstab:

//192.168.44.100/sharename /home/hilary/destination cifs credentials=/home/myname/crypt_cave/.creds,_netdev,uid=hilary,gid=users 0 0

Then you never have to authenticate. But of course, the server needs to be on before you boot into openSUSE – or if the server comes on later, just connect with this console command:

sudo mount -a

Swerdna

More on cifs mount: Samba: HowTo Mount a CIFS Network Share [AKA Map Network Drive] in openSUSE

Hi Swerdna

Thanks a million!!!

That did it.

Heeter

Three cheers http://www.swerdna.net.au/forumpics/beer.gif