do not install on reiserfs

Hi,

just a pointer for those it ay concern. I would not advice installing opensuse 11 on reiserfs. I tried 3 times and it always freezes my system minutes after boot. Now that i reinstalled on ext3 I found there is already a bug for this confirming the issue, it has something to do with beagle freezing the system on reiserfs:

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=389656&GoAheadAndLogIn=1

i think it is odd that this bug only shows ‘factory’ though and that the severity is merely critical instead of ‘blocker’.

stefan

Thanks for the heads-up. I went with the default (Ext3).

stefan1975 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just a pointer for those it ay concern. I would not advice installing
> opensuse 11 on reiserfs. I tried 3 times and it always freezes my
> system minutes after boot. Now that i reinstalled on ext3 I found there
> is already a bug for this confirming the issue, it has something to do
> with beagle freezing the system on reiserfs:
>
> https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=389656&GoAheadAndLogIn=1
>
> i think it is odd that this bug only shows ‘factory’ though and that
> the severity is merely critical instead of ‘blocker’.
>
> stefan
>
>

Should of been blocker. ext3 is no panacea.
Sigh… (why do we WANT to be identical to Red Hat in EVERY way?)

You can always use JFS or XFS Cox :slight_smile:

And identical to pretty most of the distros out there. ext3 doesn’t belong to RH, anymore than Linux does.

And I would say that the future of reiserfs is more murky. At least there is work on ext4. I don’t think reiserfs4 will see the light of production use.

Incidentally, Free Hans!

err … no lock him up for life!

i do prefer reiser3 to ext3 though and therefor reverted from the new default ext3 to good old reiser, but it ate my system :frowning:

just changing the fstab after install to noatim/noacl will fix this so I guess I will reinstall once again.

stefan

Chrysantine wrote:
> You can always use JFS or XFS Cox :slight_smile:
>
>

JFS is broken (I don’t think it ever worked),
XFS is limited, but certainly an option if
you just want meta data journaling.

I hate all of this regression… but
I have patience.

Heh…and to think I can recall when reiserfs was the default on SuSE.

Cheer up guys; at least we’re not using HFS/NTFS like windows; or fat32 like OSX.
But really, we need a new filesystem. Ext3 has it’s short comings, Reiser is doomed, and XFS is horribly outdated (but at least not as badly as others!), and JFS isn’t supported.

My system, which behaved very well with everything since 10.0, freezes when I installed to Reiser for it’s technology. File systems are critical. I think openSuSE 11.0 should not have shipped with this obvious bug, but thanks for letting me know what the problem was!

superppl wrote:
> Cheer up guys; at least we’re not using HFS/NTFS like windows; or fat32
> like OSX.
> But really, we need a new filesystem. Ext3 has it’s short comings,
> Reiser is doomed, and XFS is horribly outdated (but at least not as
> badly as others!), and JFS isn’t supported.

Are you helping with new file systems?

You could help with ext4. There are also GFS and OCFS although those are clustering file systems and kind of overkill for a single node.

Yes we are, infact the #suse irc team is re-writing ZFS and calling it “OMGFS” - I predict version 0.1, dubbed “LOLCAT” will be ready round 2020. :rolleyes:

i second ZFS although it might not be the fastest kid on the block. I been playing with ext4 in fedora9 and it is an improvement over ext3, it is just as fast as ext3 with noatime,noacl,etc set.

ZFS on Linux: It’s alive - LinuxWorld

stefan

There’s a list of filesystems problems here, though maybe a bit dated…

IRON File Systems
IRON File Systems

sure - reiser4,
why is there so little reiser4-support in openSUSE ? :stuck_out_tongue:

there’s another nice filesystem in the works called “btrfs” by oracle which looks really promising :

oracle’s btrfs site
btrfs wiki

the servers seem a little overloaded right now so I can’t have a look at the bug-report (just registered)

is there a work-around already ?

I’d really like to install openSUSE as fast as possible but there are already 2 problems right now (encrypted /home & reiserfs) :rolleyes:

I hope they’re sorting this out quickly :o

yes here is a workaround that keeps OS from freezing, at least for me it works perfectly. My system has been up since I changed it and never froze again.

1. disable beagle and the firefox beagle-plugin (this is a smart thing to anyway I believe)

2. change the reiser mount options in /etc/fstab so it looks like this:

/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD400BB-75FWD-WCAJC3357806-part2 /    reiserfs   noatime,noacl        1 1

the important thing here is “noatime,noacl”

that worked for me,
stefan

who told you that XFS is horribly outdated? O_O

that’s the most uninformed thing i’ve ever heard here. XFS is constantly under development and is on par with the other linux file systems. Out of all file systems for linux, XFS is the one that delivers the highest throughput. It has the best ACL implementation too and is easy on memory. XFS has many advanced things like delayed allocation, dynamic inodes, circular buffers, etc and some of these are also being implemented in Ext4, which will also have journal checksumming… yayyyy does a little dance

As for ReiserFS, it’s a bad FS to begin with. Its tail packing slows down its performance. RFS, out of all file systems for linux, fragments the most. It has problems with hash collisions too and gives big headaches to Jeff Mahoney who still maintains it. Also RFS is not scalable so its future is very dark in this area.

kernelOfTruth wrote:
> Larry Finger;1822837 Wrote:
>> superppl wrote:
>>> Cheer up guys; at least we’re not using HFS/NTFS like windows; or
>> fat32
>>> like OSX.
>>> But really, we need a new filesystem. Ext3 has it’s short comings,
>>> Reiser is doomed, and XFS is horribly outdated (but at least not as
>>> badly as others!), and JFS isn’t supported.
>> Are you helping with new file systems?
>
> sure - reiser4,
> why is there so little reiser4-support in openSUSE ? :stuck_out_tongue:

If you go back and read the archives of Linux Kernel Mailing List, you
will find the Hans Reiser refused to accept any suggestions for code
improvements and kernel-style changes. As these were essential for
getting reiser4 accepted into the kernel, that never happened. All
this was before Hans’s legal troubles.

Larry