Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opensuse 11, Dell 1720, 8600m GT - disappointing

slyn4ice NNTP User

Angry Opensuse 11, Dell 1720, 8600m GT - disappointing

Hey yall,

I have been a die-hard fan of Suse since 9.2 but i think it might be about time to try something else.

Installation went pretty well except for one thing: when we reach the partition stage shrinking a NTFS partition is a pain in the butt. Here is what happened:

1. Have a 100gb hdd that hosts vista.
    2. I wanted to leave 70GB for vista (since i have a lot of software installed) and give 30GB to Suse.
    3. The partition manager automatically decided to shrink vista to 54GB which would have left the Vista partition with about 8GB free, which is frankly not enough.
    4. From this point on the only option is to go expert mode and tweak the partition table yourself.

What gives?? Why can't you have a simple option (for newbies, for convenience, etc.) of how much you want to shrink the partition and that's it??? Why is it forced?

Unhappiness doesn't stop there though. I tried to change the partition table. If you just tried to resize the vista partition once its done it doesn't automatically offset the starting points of the partitions following it (which would have been the suse partitions). The only way is to delete the proposed suse partitions, resize Vista, and redo the suse partitions... what are we in 19th century??

Nevermind that, though. So, installation after that was pretty flawless. I figured my Nvidia will work out of the box, i was hoping compiz-fusion would do too.
    Well, it turned out i have to manually install the Nvidia driver. Before installing it of course the graphics were pretty sluggish. Also, for the life of me I couldn't get the correct resolution on my screen (it always gave me 1600x1200 even thought the correct max resolution is 1920x1200).

So, I went ahead and installed the Nvidia drivers. Installation was fine. I enabled 3d effects. Everything went to hell. Graphics remained sluggish. Sometimes the desktop would lock up on me - mouse moves fine but no clicks register (actually i think they register since i could hear the sound effects but no change on the screen). Enabling or disabling more effects in the desktop effects section results in the above mentioned lockup.

So, since i have no time to play around to get my laptop to a working condition, i am finally going to try other distros that seem to work out of the box.

And i waited with such anticipation for suse 11 ...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Opensuse 11, Dell 1720, 8600m GT - disappointing

I hope you didn't install KDE4 which is experimental still -- what desktop did u install
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

slyn4ice NNTP User

The problem persist both with KDE4 and KDE3.5 - i installed both. Wasn't the kde4 packed with suse 11 supposed to be rather stable though?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slyn4ice View Post
    Wasn't the kde4 packed with suse 11 supposed to be rather stable though?
    Stable? No.

From what I have read, many openSUSE-11.0 kde-4 users are immediately updating to kde-4.1.

Blog Entries

What gives?? Why can't you have a simple option (for newbies, for convenience, etc.) of how much you want to shrink the partition and that's it??? Why is it forced?
    Its not forced. I modified my install/partitioning details in the installer.

Blog Entries

If you just tried to resize the vista partition once its done it doesn't automatically offset the starting points of the partitions following it (which would have been the suse partitions). And i waited with such anticipation for suse 11 ...
    Not 100% I understand what you are saying, but if I do, then I think you have a point, and has been a pain in SuSE (and not just openSUSE) for as long as I can remember. BUT there are other ways to do this, and not just the one you noted.

slyn4ice NNTP User

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Not 100% I understand what you are saying, but if I do, then I think you have a point, and has been a pain in SuSE (and not just openSUSE) for as long as I can remember. BUT there are other ways to do this, and not just the one you noted.
    I think you got it and yes, it has been a pain.

I tried out the ubuntu 8.04 and i am happy to report that everything works with a few clicks:
    1. Resolution is set correctly to 1920x1200, automatically.
    2. Enabling desktop effects required the (automatic) installation of nvidia drivers - it took 5 mins plus a restart and i had compiz running.
    3. Tweaking compiz-fusion required installation of compiz-setting-manager package.
    4. Installation of video/audio support for restricted formats was a breeze - 2 prompts right after i tried to play an avi file and i was done.
    5. Dell media direct buttons work

Somehow, with suse, it seems it could take me a good part of an evening to get to where i got with ubuntu in about 15 mins... thats for a laptop. I am still sticking with suse as a working environment in my lab.

So, to recap - dell lappie owners might want to give ubuntu a try (for convenience's sake)

just my two centavos

slyn4ice NNTP User

oh also:

7. Dell webcam works out of the box - just installed skype and webcam is alive and well! I have to say it took me a lot of work to get it going on suse 10.3

Same Deal here. I have been using Ubuntu for 2 years now. 7.10 was awesome in my Dell 1720. 8.04 Hary is not as good for me some how.System slowed down a great deal. Compiz is not working well with my videocard 8600 That is when I read SUSE is the Mercedez benz compared to Ubuntu which is corolla.

I was expecting a pleasant surprise when I saw the flawless Suse installer. Ubuntu should learn from that.

But from there it was slippery downhill. I am still figuring out Nvidia drivers and wireless. It did not share my Ubuntu Home partition very well.

Hope suse will be nicer to me soon !!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by subru77 View Post
    I am still figuring out Nvidia drivers and wireless. It did not share my Ubuntu Home partition very well.
    What you have encountered here is a significant philosophical difference between openSUSE and Ubuntu. The wireless and nVidia drivers are proprietary. Which means they (wireless manuf and nVidia) either will not reveal their souce code, or if they will reveal it, they have restrictions on it that are contrary to the Linux GPL.

Ubuntu will include proprietary drivers. openSUSE will NOT, as openSUSE is "open", which means no proprietary drivers. ....

There are 3rd party sites that provide instructions on how to do this, ... and openSUSE Linux volunteers on this forum and on IRC freenode #suse will cheerfully help you on this.

I recommend you start 2 new threads to get help on this. The first for your wireless. And the second for your nVidia driver.

Good luck, and welcome to openSUSE.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast