Thread: openSUSE 11 on VAIO Laptop

coredumper NNTP User

Default openSUSE 11 on VAIO Laptop

I have a Sony VAIO VGN-FZ190 laptop, I've installed openSUSE 11 last night !
    But there are two things that I could not fix, and if I wont be able to fix them I'll have to uninstall SuSE from my computer that I like !
    First problem, when I plug the headphone jack, it does not detect it ! in fact I can not use my headphone ! the quality of the sound is garbage as well, my sound card is SigmaTel by the way.
    Second problem, I can not change the brightness of my LCD ! It's always set to the highest brightness and it's annoying during the night. I've tried picctrl but it does not work.
    any suggestions ?

Blog Entries

Default Re: openSUSE 11 on VAIO Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by coredumper View Post
    I have a Sony VAIO VGN-FZ190 laptop ... First problem, when I plug the headphone jack, it does not detect it ! in fact I can not use my headphone ! the quality of the sound is garbage as well, my sound card is SigmaTel by the way.
    Reference your sound, I might be able to help, but I need more information...

Please, can you first work your way through the openSUSE audio troubleshooting guide:
    openSUSE AudioTroubleshooting

If that does not help, then please provide here:
    a. the output URL(s) provided by running the two troubleshooting guide diagnostic scripts: Scripts_to_run_to_obtain_detailed_information

b. the output of running in a terminal/xterm/konsole the following commands:
    rpm -qa | grep alsa
    rpm -qa | grep pulse
    rpm -q libasound2
    uname -a
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound

Marco Munderloh NNTP User

Default Re: openSUSE 11 on VAIO Laptop

coredumper wrote:
    > Second problem, I can not change the brightness of my LCD ! It's always
    > set to the highest brightness and it's annoying during the night. I've
    > tried picctrl but it does not work.
    > any suggestions ?