VNC in OpenSUSE 11

Just upgraded from 10.3 to 11. Remote administration is activated (trhu Yast) and the firewal rules are adjusted. I can remote login with ssh but no go with VNC (on port 5901). What’s wrong?

Same here.

VNC worked fine in 10.3 but does not work in 11.0
VNC is still enabled and the firewall is open for VNC.
I get an 'Invalid Protocol" message. Nothing has changed on the Windows side. The only thing that has changed is from 10.3 to 11.0.

If I can not get VNC to work, I will have to go back to 10.3 has I have no monitor for the Linux computer.

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 00:16:04 GMT
isrdcas <isrdcas@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
> Same here.
>
> VNC worked fine in 10.3 but does not work in 11.0
> VNC is still enabled and the firewall is open for VNC.
> I get an 'Invalid Protocol" message. Nothing has changed on the
> Windows side. The only thing that has changed is from 10.3 to 11.0.
>
> If I can not get VNC to work, I will have to go back to 10.3 has I
> have no monitor for the Linux computer.
>
>
Hi
Is something else using the vnc port? I would recommend freenx if you
can install the client on the windows machine.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SLED 10.0 SP2 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.23-smp
up 9 days 20:46, 0 users, load average: 0.44, 0.53, 0.66
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 173.14.09

Maybe its only certain ways of running vnc that don’t work, but other ways do?

I just successfully accessed an 11.0 PC running x11vnc by the following (piping the vnc display over ssh which is reasoably secure):

PC-1 is an openSUSE-10.3 PC
PC-2 is an opensuse-11.0 PC

From 1st konsole on PC-1:
ssh -t -L 5900:localhost:5900 oldcpu@ip-address-of-pc-2 ‘x11vnc -localhost -nolookup -nopw -display :0’
… and then entered password for user “oldcpu” on PC-2:

From 2nd konsole on PC-1
vncviewer -encodings “tight copyrect hextile” localhost:0

And I successfully connected to PC-2, piping its vnc desktop display back to pc-1.

Using OpenSUSE 11 and VNC with Veno worked flawlessly for me after I opened the firewall port.

Ok, I found the problem : just need to remove “-SecurityTypes None” in /etc/xinetd.d/vnc in the section vnc1 and then restart xinetd (rcxinetd restart).

Since my computer was upgraded from 10.3, I’m not sure if this option comes from 10.3 or 11.

I’m sorry that I cannot help - just report the same: installed 11 out of the box, no VNC login. It’s funny though - it’s not that the VNC client (Chicken of the VNC, Mac OX X 10.5 - works perfectly with a Suse 10.0 server) does not connect - or that the connection would be refused.

The connection seems to open for a very short time and it’s closed again by the server.

Have no clue. And I’m so desperate that I’m going to go back to 10.2 for this machine (since 10.3 cannot be downloaded anymore?!?).

:confused:

Ah: and the line that was quoted above my entry was not in the specified file - so … it did not help (at least my installation) :frowning:

I’m having the same issue with Chicken of the VNC from Leopard to openSUSE 11. It does work flawlessly with UltraVNC from a Windows XP box. In the X11 logs after a connection attempt from CotVNC, there’s a mention of the version of the VNC server not supporting “screen blanking.” If I figure out what the issue is, I’ll post a fix.

Funny, I’ve been having exactly the same problems. I think it’s some kind of mismatch with display resolution arguments.

The default settings within xinetd use a bit depth of 16. When I changed that to 24, I managed to get a connection with UltraVNC as well as TightVNC.

Maybe someone else can verify ?

D

Well - at least something changed: now the Chicken is not disconnected instantly. But I still cannot really connect - because I see the b/w stripes for a very long time, the window title says “nobody’s x11 desktop” and I’m sitting there. After about a minute or so, the Chicken-window closes completely and is re-opened instantly; but no change.

I also tried to change the logon-user to my on account in the vnc-file /etc/xinet.d/vnc - file (right place?), and restarted the whole thing (a “nono” in Linux, I know…) - but all to no success.

J :confused:

Unfortunately, I’ve never used Chicken so I can’t help too much. I had a play around with the different settings in my Tight and Ultra VNC viewers until I got something visible with varying degrees of success.

The best I can suggest is that you try setting the server resolution and bit depth to different values and try matching them with your viewer. Maybe there’s a combination that works for you.

Annoyingly, I had no problem under 10.3 with the same default 16 bitdepth values. Maybe it’s a KDE4 thing rather than VNC per se ?

Good luck

D

Brilliant. That actually works. It seems to be an issue with the VNC server not communicating its color depth to CotVNC. So the easy way to fix it is to add a new profile in CotVNC with a color depth of “Thousands of colors.” Comes right up.

:):):slight_smile:

You’re right - playing around with the color depth is the clue! Thank you all very much!

Although - there’s one small thing left: even if I go down to 8 bit color depth the transmission is … SLOW! Well I’ve installed Gnome (to give it a try) - the 64 bit version on a 3 Ghz QuadCore … and the VNC display is a LOT slower than my good old 1.something GHz Pentium 4 - hanging in the exact same 100MBit switch together …

Still - I can go to sleep finally :slight_smile:

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 22:26:03 GMT
jrepe <jrepe@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
> :):):slight_smile:
>
> You’re right - playing around with the color depth is the clue! Thank
> you all very much!
>
> Although - there’s one small thing left: even if I go down to 8 bit
> color depth the transmission is … SLOW! Well I’ve installed Gnome
> (to give it a try) - the 64 bit version on a 3 Ghz QuadCore … and
> the VNC display is a LOT slower than my good old 1.something GHz
> Pentium 4 - hanging in the exact same 100MBit switch together …
>
> Still - I can go to sleep finally :slight_smile:
>
>
Hi
I gave up on VNC and now use nx server,node and client from nomachine.
The pre-compiled rpms work fine in 11.0.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SLED 10.0 SP2 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.23-smp
up 13 days 18:56, 0 users, load average: 0.70, 0.39, 0.24
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 173.14.09

Simply changing the color depth did not do the trick for me, trying to use CotVNC to connect to a server on Suse 11.0. I don’t think that it’s a KDE 4 issue, either. Logging in to KDE 3 and trying the same connection fails with the same error.

The other suggestion of “SecurityTypes” got me a little further. CotVNC connected, showed me a KDE log in screen, then immediately gave an error saying the remote machine closed the connection.

–chriscrutch

and here some add tests:

new Installation AMD 64bit, Radeon X300, KDE4,

UltraVNC Connection on port 5901 gives a ‘byte-fail’ shredded Login-Screen - every action (Mouse-Click or Keyboard) and the VNC-Window collabs.

Change 24 to 16bit xorg.conf - no change

The Java/Html Screen on Port 5801 works with ‘normal’ speed and CPU usage (Mouse-move over Main-Menu) gives 2-4%us Cpu(s)

the ‘old fashion’ xorg.conf (no longer in sax?)
by ‘hand’ will generate high CPU-usage -

• so the browser solution works for me at first

SOLUTION FOUND (at least in my configuration: SUSE 11, connection from OS X 10.5): Download JollyFastVNC for the Mac (JollysFastVNC), set color depth to 32 (!) in both - the settings of JollyFasVNC and the /etx/xinet.d/vnc … and it runs like no VNC connection I’ve seen before. Great! And JollyFastVNC also works perfect with some other VNC servers I use regularly.

Juhu! :slight_smile:

Re:VNC in SuSE 11:
I had a vnc server running well in 10.3. I started up the vnc service once using YaST and then it continued to run well each time the PC was booted; obviously a runtime initiation, probably level 3. With SuSE 11 I have not found any method of starting vnc from YaST, just a button to enable remote access. If I then run vncserver as user, it initiates and creates a log file home/user/.vnc/mypc:2.log which reads:

26/06/2008 19:54:52 Xvnc version X.org/xf4vnc custom version
26/06/2008 19:54:52 Copyright (C) 2001-2004 Alan Hourihane.
26/06/2008 19:54:52 Copyright (C) 2000-2004 Constantin Kaplinsky
26/06/2008 19:54:52 Copyright (C) 1999 AT&T Laboratories Cambridge
26/06/2008 19:54:52 All Rights Reserved.
26/06/2008 19:54:52 See TightVNC: VNC-Based Free Remote Control Solution for information on TightVNC
26/06/2008 19:54:52 See http://xf4vnc.sf.net for xf4vnc-specific information
26/06/2008 19:54:52 Desktop name ‘X’ (myPC:2)
26/06/2008 19:54:52 Protocol versions supported: 3.7, 3.3
26/06/2008 19:54:52 RGB format 5 6 5
26/06/2008 19:54:52 Listening for VNC connections on TCP port 5902
26/06/2008 19:54:52 Listening for HTTP connections on TCP port 5802
26/06/2008 19:54:52 URL http://mypc:5802
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/local, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/CID, removing from list!
xrdb: No such file or directory
xrdb: can’t open file ‘/home/user/.Xresources’

end of log file

I can then use Firefox from a laptop on my lan and log on to the server using a password set by vncpasswd. The MS Windows tightvnc viewer crashes. When I have connected via Firefox I have a virtual terminal with an xterm and I can initiate programs such as kcalc. Obviously I have a type of vnc running but weird and not like SuSE 10.3. With 10.3 and Firefox I found the standard login screen and had no problem initiating and running a session. Any ideas as to what gives?

That solution sort of works for me, but the colors are way off. It’s quick, though. Man.

–chriscrutch

I am new to Linux but found that I had to go into the network services and disable Xinetd and then open the VNC Icon and re-enable VNC. There are a few different VNC server settings in the Xinetd by default and perhaps they are causing a conflict with each other? I am still learning, but the above was a work-around that provided the VNC access that I had in openSuSE 10.3 before I upgraded to 11.0

Bill