Thread: KDE4:Factory and KDE4:UNSTABLE

Question KDE4:Factory and KDE4:UNSTABLE

Hello there,

where is the difference between the Build Service projects KDE:KDE4:UNSTABLE and KDE:KDE4:Factory ?? I am somehow confused about that.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall (1868 - 1919)

Default Re: KDE4:Factory and KDE4:UNSTABLE

'Unstable' is built upon the parent version of openSUSE and 'Factory' is based on the ongoing (post 11.0) devel-version.
    <>---><^>

Quote Originally Posted by Cryovac View Post
    'Unstable' is built upon the parent version of openSUSE and 'Factory' is based on the ongoing (post 11.0) devel-version.
    meaning that the UNSTABLE version has the SUSE patches and still is as up to date as FACTORY? The only thing missing in 4.0.82 in Factory for me have been the suse improvements.

stefan
    "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they make a vacuum cleaner"
    Hardware: Dell Precision M65

KDE4 Unstable will generally be as up to date as the same KDE packages in 'Factory' but don't forget that 'Factory' is always compiled against the latest development system version of openSUSE, and 'Factory' may not include the same type of openSUSE specific branding and/or patches.
    <>---><^>

Quote Originally Posted by Cryovac View Post
    KDE4 Unstable will generally be as up to date as the same KDE packages in 'Factory' but don't forget that 'Factory' is always compiled against the latest development system version of openSUSE, and 'Factory' may not include the same type of openSUSE specific branding and/or patches.
    yes, so the UNSTABLE and FACTORY versions are more or less equally up to date whereas UNSTABLE "does" contain opensuse branding? then I could see nor reason to choose FACTORY over UNSTABLE?!

stefan
    "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they make a vacuum cleaner"

Well, if your repos are all set to Factory then you are basically running a rolling release system.
    <>---><^>

Ok, when I understood it right, and the project descriptions in the Build Service seems to say the same, then for end users - which want to use KDE 4.1 - it is better to use the Factoy project.

The YaST2 Communit Repos module has also the Factory project.

So I will move my packages to KDE4:Factory:Community an link them back to UNSTABLE, to not loss the general view.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall (1868 - 1919)

well for a change i tried UNSTABLE opposed to the FACTORY i used last time. I cannot say I notice any difference at all. both are 4.0.82 and in UNSTABLE there doesnt seem to be any suse patches or branding either.

stefan

Here is the thread on the mailing list which explains what the difference is: [opensuse-kde] Buildservice repository restructuring

Frankly I'm still confused by it as many others are. Long story short though Factory is the one you want if you want to install KDE 4.1 on Opensuse 11.0

Thank you Isaac, that mailing list entry is the thing, I was searching for.