Thread: ATI HD5470 no go.

Default ATI HD5470 no go.

Specs - HP Pavillion Dv6-3138, core i3, 4Gb, ATI HD5470.

Hi all, I have just done a fresh install of openSUSE 11.4 and would like to get RadeonHD drivers working if possible. The default system also only starts with 'nomodeset' on boot up. I have tried several ways to install ATI drivers and have had no luck as yet.

Here's history Easy install of ATI proprietary driver in the console

On a quick note i also get no effect from brightness controls with openSUSE11.4 or Fedora14 however they work on ubuntu10>11.4 but there has being no luck on any of these OS with this ATI HD 5470.

Any idea's would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: ATI HD5470 no go.

Quote Originally Posted by the_enduser View Post
    Specs - HP Pavillion Dv6-3138, core i3, 4Gb, ATI HD5470.
    More information than this is needed. I took a look at the thread you referenced, and in fact your PC has two graphic devices, ... According to that thread it has

1. an Intel Arrandale Integrated Graphics Controller
    2. a Radeon HD5470

Linux is not all that mature when it comes to handling two DIFFERENT graphic devices and it is necessary you mention that 'up front' else you could get suggestions that are not as helpful as you likely desire. Note also, it is far better to include all the salient information in your new thread, as opposed to asking users go 'hunt' for the information in another thread that has support for other users.

Now reference your PC, you need to tell us more as to what you have done. When I read the thread you referenced you noted in that thread that your PC booted to ONLY a BLANKSCREEN with 'nomodeset' and WITHOUT 'nomodeset' it booted to a 'command line'.

In this thread you state the default system now starts ONLY with 'nomodeset'.

So between the old openSUSE thread and this new openSUSE thread, with the 'nomodeset' boot code your PC progressed from "BLANKSCREEN" to "starts". I confess I'm not smart enough to know what that means although you later talk about 'brightness' from which I infer you obtained a GUI (?) with 'nomodeset' at some known resolution with some unknown graphic driver. fglrx ? radeon ?

So question-1 : What video driver are you booting to X with ? (you can tell here by looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log file)

and

Question-2: Can you explain what you did to change the behaviour in 'nomodeset' on your PC between the two forum threads ?

In addition to provide the above requested clarifications/answers, here is some basic information for you, most of which was mentioned to you already by please_try_again in the thread you referenced.

When a PC with only AMD radeon graphic hardware boots with openSUSE-11.4 in the default/fresh install configuration, it will try to boot with the 'radeon' graphic driver. However there was a bug in openSUSE-11.4 that impacted some users with 'radeon' graphic drivers that the screen would freeze right after the kernel load. IF one instead booted a PC with AMD radeon hardware with the boot code 'nomodeset' then 'modesetting' will be disabled and the PC will instead try to boot with the 'radeonhd' graphic driver. However this driver does NOT support the HD5470, so X window will fail to start and one will possibly end up at a command line (which is what happened to you).

Your PC also has the Intel graphic hardware and that adds a complexity in terms of behaviour not behind widely known. Typically with the Intel graphic driver, if one boots with the boot code 'nomodeset' and no other edits to configuration files, it will boot to the "FBDEV" graphic driver (which is a very lower performance frame buffer graphic driver that is highly compatible with most PCs). Ergo in your case, if you manage to boot with the "nomodeset" boot code (without any proprietary driver installed and no configuration file edited) it is important that you advise if your PC booted with the "radeonhd" or "fbdev" driver. If just a black screen was encountered, you need to state WHERE in the boot process it failed, and provide information from the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file so we can understand better where it failed (assuming you get to run level 3).

However the PC should boot with both Intel and Radeon drivers with the 'x11failsafe' or 'Safe Settings' boot code, which should force the loading of the FBDEV graphic driver no matter what graphic video hardware is in use.

I believe the general solutions (if one's PC has ONLY Radeon HD5470) is to :
    • boot to run level 3 (likely with 'x11failsafe' boot code) and edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf file , to uncomment the 'radeon' driver entry so that the line is
      Code:
        Driver "radeon"
      with no '#' in front. Then reboot and this time in booting use the boot code 'nomodeset'. That should get one by the openSUSE-11.4 radeon hardware bug (immediately after kernel load), and then it will load the radeon video graphic driver; or
    • install the proprietary AMD Catalyst-11.4 video driver (known as fglrx) and boot to that driver. It may be necessary with this driver with HD5470 to disable KMS (this can be done by navigate to yast > System > /etc/sysconfig Editor > System > Kernel > NO_KMS_IN_INITRD and change it to "yes". This takes a minute or two to save once changed is submitted). Booting may also be necessary to use the 'nomodeset' boot code, but its likely that simply changing that /etc/sysconfig setting will suffice

Having an Intel Arrandale Integrated Graphics Controller on the same PC complicates this thou. Still, a feature of the AMD Catalyst-11.4 driver is to handle 2 graphic devices (both AMD and Intel) per this Phoronix article: [Phoronix] AMD Puts Out Catalyst 11.4 With X Server 1.10 Support where it states:
    PowerXpress is AMD's technology is part of ATI Hybrid Graphics and allows seamless switching between integrated graphics and discrete graphics for notebooks. It's designed to increase battery life for notebooks while still delivering maximum graphics performance when on AC power. This technology has been offered by AMD since 2008, but is finally coming to Linux.

With Catalyst 11.4, there's finally AMD PowerXpress support under Linux.
    there is further detail in this Phoronix article: [Phoronix] Here's The Special AMD Present For Ubuntu Users where it states:
    As AMD has seeded Canonical with driver pre-releases rather than only back-porting the kernel/xorg-server changes to the current release stream, past Catalyst-for-Ubuntu drops in the past have yielded some surprises for users. Some of the releases picked up early have yielded notable bug-fixes and/or new features.

Is there any features to be found in this early Catalyst 11.4 driver update? Yes, there is. The libGL and libglx libraries have been renamed to fglrx-libGL and fglrx-libglx. Why? Dynamic switching support. In looking at the package that was provided to Canonical, there is support for switchable graphics! For notebooks with AMD and Intel graphics!

For those with notebooks that have a dedicated AMD GPU and Intel IGP, this can allow you to switch between graphics processors. Though due to current limitations of the X.Org Server, the X Server must be restarted when switching. At that point, the libGL library will also be redirected to the appropriate OpenGL library so that there is correct OpenGL rendering support. This is Linux support for AMD's PowerXpress feature. I'll talk more about this feature finally implemented under Linux shortly.
    which also explains why Ubuntu handles this a bit better, as they were given an advanced version of the driver to test with, likely before SuSE-GmbH obtained the code.

You need to disable one of the hybrid on the BIOS. My guess would be to disable the intel chipset and only then install the fglrx (Catalyst) driver. I don't know that combo, but from the nvidia/intel hybrids that's how it's done.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ketheriel View Post
    You need to disable one of the hybrid on the BIOS. My guess would be to disable the intel chipset and only then install the fglrx (Catalyst) driver. I don't know that combo, but from the nvidia/intel hybrids that's how it's done.
    Further to this, the settings may read different, dependant on the laptop and how they have implemented the BIOS. For some laptops:
    For intel, set graphics controller to "Switchable" in BIOS
    For ATI, set graphics controller to "Discrete" in BIOS
    ... but this will vary from laptop to laptop model/manufacturer.

Blog Entries

I should also add that there is something called "vga_swicheroo" that purportedly allow one to switch between hybrid graphic devices (as part of a reboot), with some information on this here from a Phoronix article: [Phoronix] First Came VGA Switcheroo, Now Comes ASUS Switcheroo ... but I note this is beyond my skill levels to help.

I would also be remiss if I did not point out this openSUSE forum thread where related issues were discussed:
    Switchable graphics - how do I disable one of the video drivers?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I should also add that there is something called "vga_swicheroo" that purportedly allow one to switch between hybrid graphic devices (as part of a reboot), with some information on this here from a Phoronix article: [Phoronix] First Came VGA Switcheroo, Now Comes ASUS Switcheroo ... but I note this is beyond my skill levels to help.

I would also be remiss if I did not point out this openSUSE forum thread where related issues were discussed:
    Switchable graphics - how do I disable one of the video drivers?
    In case anyone is trying to setup vga_switcheroo, I was also remiss in not pointing out this openSUSE thread: I have a problem with switchable graphics laptop ..... In truth, we need someone who has this hardware to write an openSUSE guide.

Blog Entries

wrong thread