Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No sound with SUSE 11

ledgeexplo NNTP User

Exclamation No sound with SUSE 11

Hello all. I am pretty new to Linux so I am not sure what to do. Just installed SUSE 11 as a duel boot with Windows. I have a Japanese computer because I live in Japan and started usin Linux because I wanted my computer in English. It is an "all in one" machine. It is a Valuestar VW900/D. I believe the chipset is as follows:

It uses the Intel 82915GV / 82801FB chipset.
    The sound chip is the ADI-company's AD1981B.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: No sound with SUSE 11

Quote Originally Posted by ledgeexplo View Post
    It is an "all in one" machine. It is a Valuestar VW900/D. I believe the chipset is as follows:

It uses the Intel 82915GV / 82801FB chipset.
    The sound chip is the ADI-company's AD1981B.
    Can you work your way through the openSUSE audio troubleshooting guide:
    SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE
    Be certain to install alsa-firmware, rebooting afterward to test.

Also, some 11.0 users are having problem with pulse-audio. You could try removing that (with an intention of restoring it back later, so take notes as to what you remove).

Could you also provide the output of:
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound
    and I'll provide you an exact entry (such as model=laptop) applicable to an AD1981B to add to your /etc/modprobe.d/sound file that might help.

GeneralKael NNTP User

One thing that you might need to do is go into YAST and make sure that the volume is set correctly on your sound card. All of my channel volumes were set at the lowest setting.

-Scott

ledgeexplo NNTP User

Hello,

I have tried to install alsa and it didn't fix the problem. I also followed the help section with no prevail. Any more suggestions?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ledgeexplo View Post
    Hello,

I have tried to install alsa and it didn't fix the problem. I also followed the help section with no prevail. Any more suggestions?
    In addition to answering my question from this post (which you have not done yet), where I asked for output of: cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound
    No sound with SUSE 11 - openSUSE Forums

Please also paste the output of:
    rpm -qa | grep pulse
    rpm -qa | grep alsa
    rpm -q libasound2

And also, when your PC is connected to the internet, copy and paste these two diagnostic scripts into an xterm/konsole and paste here the output URL that they will provide you:
    Code:
    wget -O alsa-info.sh http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh
    when this next script prompts you for a password please enter the root password and also type "NO" for every question that you do not understand.
    Code:
    su -c 'wget -O tsalsa wget http://home.cfl.rr.com/infofiles/tsalsa && bash tsalsa'
    both of the above scripts will give you a URL. Please paste that here.

Only after obtaining the above information can I make a recommendation.

cdpoe NNTP User

i am experiencing the same problem after going through the install alsa instructions, and the SDB Audtio Troubleshooting tutorial. i have no sound. i am trying to setup the Audigy 2ZS as my primary sound card. here is my info:

options snd slots=snd-hda-intel,snd-emu10k1
    # jqQS.9jPiZAnlR97:SB Audigy 2 ZS (SB0350)
    alias snd-card-1 snd-emu10k1
    # mDsH.vLXC8EvZgR7:MCP55 High Definition Audio
    alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel

cdpoe@linux-mnbo:~> rpm -qa | grep pulse
    cdpoe@linux-mnbo:~> rpm -qa | grep alsa
    alsa-utils-1.0.16-35.1
    alsa-1.0.16-39.1
    alsa-driver-kmp-pae-1.0.16.20080713_2.6.25.5_1.1-1.1
    alsa-plugins-1.0.16-57.1
    alsa-firmware-1.0.16-24.1
    alsa-oss-1.0.15-48.1
    cdpoe@linux-mnbo:~> rpm -q libasound2
    libasound2-1.0.16-39.1

general pastebin - cdpoe - post number 1069827
    tsalsa.txt - nopaste.com (beta)

thank you for your assistance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cdpoe View Post
    i am experiencing the same problem after going through the install alsa instructions, and the SDB Audtio Troubleshooting tutorial. i have no sound. i am trying to setup the Audigy 2ZS as my primary sound card.
    tsalsa.txt - nopaste.com (beta)
    You have two audio cards I see. Anyway, from tsalsa.txt, as a minimum, its very clear you have a mixer configuration problem and you did not setup your mixer correctly for your 2nd (Audigy) card.
    Code:
    Amixer contents for card 1 [Audigy2] _____________________________________        
    amixer set 'Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack',0 off
    That jack should be ON.

Please look here at Chrysantine's guide:
    [Solution] Creative Audigy 1/2 + 11.0 + KDE/GNOME + ALSA - openSUSE Forums

cdpoe NNTP User

Thank you! The guide was perfect! The switches tab in the kmix was what I missed. I clicked that to 'on' and all is well... thanks again!

ChrisStutts NNTP User

VIA Kt266 motherboard, Athlon 2400. Upgraded to (not installed fresh) suse 11 from 10.3, lost most audio, lost ability to play multimedia outside gmplayer (kaffeine doesn't display). gmplayer can play audio if a previously running gmplayer is already running, but 2nd gmplayer can't do video. KDE seems able to generate beeps though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisStutts View Post
    VIA Kt266 motherboard, Athlon 2400. Upgraded to (not installed fresh) suse 11 from 10.3, lost most audio, lost ability to play multimedia outside gmplayer (kaffeine doesn't display). gmplayer can play audio if a previously running gmplayer is already running, but 2nd gmplayer can't do video. KDE seems able to generate beeps though.
    This reads like one (or possibly both) of two possiblies:
    a. repository problem, where you may have mixed Videolan packaged rpms with Packman packaged rpms, and
    b. problem with "desktop effects" impact on video

Reference item-a, I recommend you setup your repositories with ONLY OSS, Non-OSS, Update, and Packman. Only those 4. No others. You can add others if and as required for specific applications and then remove (the other repos) when not required. Guidance for setting up those 4 repos for openSUSE-11.0 is here:
    Repositories/11.0 - openSUSE-Community
    if you have videlan repos added, I recommend you remove it. And then after removing it, change your videolan installed players (and also libffmpeg0) for the packman versions.

Reference item-b, if you are using 'special desktop effects' (3D, the "cube" and such) then you may have to change the output video mode of your player from "auto" or "xv" (xvideo) to "x11" (as a work around).

Good luck, and WELCOME to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast