Unnecessary items being installed with every application?

Hello,

I decided to try OpenSuse 11 today and I have encountered a strange issue on two separate machines. I am using the gnome live cd 32-bit for OpenSuse 11 to install the operating system. I am using the updates, oss, and non-oss official opensuse 11 repositories.

The (possible) problem seems to be that every application automatically selects the following libraries to be installed with it despite them not being listed as dependencies. I have tried to install several programs separately, but they are all automatically marked for install when I select to install said application. Here are the packages that automatically get selected for install with each program:

(for example, these are automatically selected when I try to install the adobe flash plugin)
Alsa plugins
gcc-gij
gcc43-gij
java-1_5_0
libgcj43
libgcj43-jar
openoffice templates (the rest of the name cut off)
openoffice presentation (the rest of the name cut off)
openoffice thesaurus
yast fingerprint reader

I thought that these were simply updates, but doing a java -version reveals that Java is not even installed and neither is gcc and they do not appear under the upgrade tab in YAST’s software manager.

Sorry if this is a newbie question, I am an opensuse newbie. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Are any of the programs you tried to installed written with Java. Because if they are, that would explain why a bytecode interpreter wants to go on your system.

At some point you will likely end up with a Java program on their anyways since they are common, so personally I wouldn’t worry about that too much

I cleared the list between tests, the sample that I posted was just with the flash player plugin selected to be installed (the others were automatically added when I selected it), to my knowledge Adobe’s flash plugin does not use or require Java.