Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kernel-RT

metasymbol NNTP User

Unhappy Kernel-RT

Hi there,

Someone an idea whats up with that kernel-rt ?

I want to use it for realtime applications (JACK driven audio processing etc)

-but I can't find any corresponding km's for nvidia and other modules
    -or a kernel-rt-source to make nvidia working "the hard way" or to rebuild this kernel-rt for a better rtc-tick.

Is there any hidden repository with all this little things?

thx

Default Re: Kernel-RT

Quote Originally Posted by metasymbol View Post
    Hi there,

Someone an idea whats up with that kernel-rt ?

I want to use it for realtime applications (JACK driven audio processing etc)

-but I can't find any corresponding km's for nvidia and other modules
    -or a kernel-rt-source to make nvidia working "the hard way" or to rebuild this kernel-rt for a better rtc-tick.

Is there any hidden repository with all this little things?

thx
    kernel-rt runs the system faster than the default kernel.

Look here for source: Index of /repositories/Kernel: -- usually; or search Webpin

Drivers can be found @ Index of /repositories/drivers: -- usually.

You may need to check back to those sites what with 11.0 just being released, but they will come.

Just make sure sources & modules match the running kernel with "uname -a".

You may want to check out: http://en.opensuse.org/YaST_package_...suser-j.engelh. Jengelh is on the leading edge with his kernels.

Good luck
    Desktop Asus X-99 Viper. uefi & secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1; Laptop: ASUS GL752VW Optimus, uefi+Secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1 & T-weed and IMac

metasymbol NNTP User

Hi snakedriver, thank you for that helpful hints,

Quote Originally Posted by snakedriver View Post
    or search Webpin

You may want to check out: Additional YaST Package Repositories - openSUSE. Jengelh is on the leading edge with his kernels.
    The webpin-search leads me to Jans repository I know him and his kernels - and I'm sure he will have a 11.0 repo the next time. And his "recent" repo may also work for 11.

But this is not my intention; I wonder why openSUSE officially offers no kernel-rt-source /nvidia-rt-km's.

So I must use third-party repositories for to have full hardware support for my computer -this is an important point for me, because it means -use of third party-repo, is excluded in the 90 days boxed support.

metasymbol NNTP User

PS: I already made a bug report about this:

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=397970

Quote Originally Posted by metasymbol View Post
    Hi snakedriver, thank you for that helpful hints,

The webpin-search leads me to Jans repository I know him and his kernels - and I'm sure he will have a 11.0 repo the next time. And his "recent" repo may also work for 11.

But this is not my intention; I wonder why openSUSE officially offers no kernel-rt-source /nvidia-rt-km's.

So I must use third-party repositories for to have full hardware support for my computer -this is an important point for me, because it means -use of third party-repo, is excluded in the 90 days boxed support.
    After looking at Yast, I believe the kernel-source & kernel-syms will work very well -- don't know about the modules though.

I suggest you "try" it out with a kernel install (not update) on the existing install -- yep, you can boot 2 (or more kernels). Here is a howto I did for a jengelh kernel some time back: Update To Jengelh's Kernel-2.6.17-7 Howto - Page 2 - openSUSE Forums. Pay attention to the parts about vmlinuz.previous & initrd.previous to boot the original kernel.
    Save your existing menu.lst to a backup folder.
    PS: I would do it using the command line ' rpm -ihv /path/kernel-rt.etc"

Give it a try. If it doesn't work then you can uninstall it.; rename vmlinuz & initrd & put back you original menu.lst

I guess I wasn't thinking it through in my previous reply, sorry
    Last edited by snakedriver; 20-Jun-2008 at 19:11.
    Desktop Asus X-99 Viper. uefi & secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1; Laptop: ASUS GL752VW Optimus, uefi+Secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1 & T-weed and IMac

dousley NNTP User

It would be nice if there were an officially compiled RT kernel for 11.1 that had a tick of 1000 so a guy could use Rosegarden or other midi stuff. Some of us are trying to record something here!

forisjl NNTP User

All the realtime kernel work seems to have been removed from the 11.1 distribution and the current openSUSE factory (at least for now). Does anyone know why that is ? And is there someplace better to discuss kernel issues like this ?

dousley NNTP User

Well, well. It does appear that some rt kernels have appeared at Index of /repositories/Kernel, as snakedriver mentioned in his post above. Now, if I could just figure out which kernel has a resolution of 1000 so I could use some midi. By the way, I'm using the rt kernel from jenglh repo for 11.0. Works good. Metasymbol and the boys at jacklab do good work. Now, about that 11.1 rt kernel.........

-G- NNTP User

dousley wrote:
    > Well, well. It does appear that some rt kernels have appeared at Index
    > of /repositories/Kernel, as snakedriver mentioned in his post above.
    > Now, if I could just figure out which kernel has a resolution of 1000 so
    > I could use some midi. By the way, I'm using the rt kernel from jenglh
    > repo for 11.0. Works good. Metasymbol and the boys at jacklab do good
    > work. Now, about that 11.1 rt kernel.........

What is the package "kernel-trace"? It says The Realitime Linux Kernel...

I tried the jenglh some time ago. It would run, but I could not install the
    nvidia video driver, :-/

So same question again, if the "trace" is the rt one, would the nvidia be
    installable?

-G-

dousley NNTP User

Actually, the kernels in there are a different version from the official ones in 11.1. They might break your system. I was simply advocating putting a multimedia, realtime kernel with a resolution of 1000 in the 11.1 main repository. I'm just a puzzled penguin like you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast