View Poll Results: Upgrade to 11 now ?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (Upgrading right away)

42 76.36%
  • No (Customized, waiting for issues, etc)

13 23.64%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to 11 ?

Default Upgrade to 11 ?

With my 10.3 running so rock solid , and highly customized for the most part I really dont want to upgrade just yet. I'm interested in what other opensuse users have decided. (for some reason I cant add the poll ?)

1. Yes (Upgrading right away)
    2. No (customized, issues, etc,)1

Default Re: Upgrade to 11 ?

I'm waiting a few more days till I get my download limit reset, then I'm getting 11.0 and upgrading my machines. Since all my machines run 10.2, it's time for me to upgrade to 11.0 (I always skip a release, so i skipped 10.3)

Quote Originally Posted by idshark View Post
    With my 10.3 running so rock solid , and highly customized for the most part I really dont want to upgrade just yet. I'm interested in what other opensuse users have decided. (for some reason I cant add the poll ?)

Define "customized". I keep my /home folders on a separate partition so that when I have to reinstall, it never erases my user's preferences. Now, if you mean that you had manually compiled software on your system, that's another issue, but as long as your /home folder isn't erased in the reinstall, it shouldn't be an issue.

By the way, 11.0 is definitely worth an upgrade. A major thumbs up to the developers - this is the best version since SUSE Linux 9.1.
    I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. ... Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

customized to me is my custom kernel, some manual compiled apps, my gnome desktop with compiz personalized to my taste. encrypted drives all across the board including / . These are just but a few things off the top of my head why I'm hesitating a little. I mean I would love to do it but the time to get it all back the way my 10.3 is running ....

customized to me is my custom kernel, some manual compiled apps, my gnome desktop with compiz personalized to my taste. encrypted drives all across the board including / . These are just but a few things off the top of my head why I'm hesitating a little. I mean I would love to do it but the time to get it all back the way my 10.3 is running ....
    • You could bring the kernel with you; just get the bzImage, System.map, .config, and the source directory.
    • The manually compiled apps would need to be recompiled because of the new headers.
    • As long as /home was saved exactly as-is (or untouched by the reinstall), your gnome and compiz settings wouldn't change.
    • Not sure about the encryption; never done it.
    I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. ... Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

hmm ja for the most part , although I did this on a bet, a buddy of mine said it wouldnt work

encrypted root how to (opensuse.org)

and took some stuff from here:

encrypted root how to (gentoo.org)

so prolly in my case just redo all those steps, back up /home beforehand and then evtl then add myuser and copy everything over data/settings wise.

To ease the upgrade you could create a dual boot setup. I had this with the beta's up to now & in the beginning mainly worked running 10.3, but I haven't touched the 10.3 setup in more than a month.
    Have a lot of fun!

nightfighter NNTP User

Nein No

It's not more than a bad Beta in my eyes.... I tried it out the whole day and couldn't connect Internet over WLAN though modules for both of my adapter were loaded.
    Kontact crashes at startup. Many applications crash while opening a menu or trying a function.
    Settings can't be managed so deep like in KDE 3.5.9 or in 3.2.1 (sorry...). Software installation didn't work the way it schould do.
    Network configuration over Yast - in earlier days easy and simple - didn't succeeded.
    All together the badest compilation Suse ever released. My opinion.
    KDE 4 brings nothing REALLY new and usefull. Only optical games.
    More clicks to reach my target, the speed is horrible, the stability is not existent and the new menu..... no comment.
    Suse 5.3 - my first Suse - was easier to use and much more stable. The last really good Suse was 10.1. After this release the more "new" was buyed with bad things (sorry for my englisch).

I tried Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 3.5.9 the first time in may this year. Everything goes easy, all things work from start up. WLAN is only to enter Essid and password. Never found a Linux this way. Long time support for years. Sources with nearly all programms I need.
    My hope was Suse could be better in integration of KDE 4. Sorry. They didn't.
    The next few years my home is Kubuntu. Perhaps they have mor luck in usng KDE 4 some years later....
    Over and out.

So, rather than asking for help, you come to attack suse11?
    I find it the best release yet, a few quirks happened to me (most likely since the suse server was again almost overwhelmed), that are probably fixed by now.

@idshark, remember that 11.1 is coming in december, you can wait for that
    "If it ain't broke, find something wrong with it"

Quote Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
    I tried Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 3.5.9 the first time in may this year. Everything goes easy, all things work from start up. WLAN is only to enter Essid and password. Never found a Linux this way. Long time support for years. Sources with nearly all programms I need.
    My hope was Suse could be better in integration of KDE 4. Sorry. They didn't.
    The next few years my home is Kubuntu. Perhaps they have mor luck in usng KDE 4 some years later....
    Over and out.
    1) You're comparing Kubuntu with KDE 3.5.9 to openSUSE with KDE 4. openSUSE also offers 3.5.9 as an option.

2) As much as some people choose to bag on openSUSE for various reasons, it's not perfect or immune to criticism, I have never ever seen anyone imply that *buntu has a better integration of KDE. Seriously. Even the *buntu trolls back away from that argument, openSUSE is considered to have one of the best implementations of KDE. Period, and bar none.

3) You'll be back. I came to SuSE from Kubuntu myself.

Just my 3c...

Cheers,
    KV

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast