Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying OpenSUSE?

Question Buying OpenSUSE?

Can someone explain to me (or refer me to more information) what do you get if you buy OpenSUSE? I am mainly interested in "support" but it is not well described and explained on OpenSuse/Novell site. What do you get for your money?

• Do you get support for install on more than one computer or not if you buy one box (it is open source?)?
    • Do you get support for any number of devices (15+)?
    • Does Novell provide support for hardware that is semi-supported under Linux (it can be made to work under OpenSUSE but there is no direct support for it through installer/setup and/or installed packages)?
    • What is the level of support you get? Can you get developer assigned working on your case?

Thanks,
    Natasha

Default Re: Buying OpenSUSE?

You get the full user manual printed, and also there's more software included on the discs since it's a dual-layer disc. If you're looking for a (very) long term support, you should buy SLED or SLES, depending on your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by microchip8 View Post
    You get the full user manual printed, and also there's more software included on the discs since it's a dual-layer disc. If you're looking for a (very) long term support, you should buy SLED or SLES, depending on your needs.
    I am perfectly fine with short term (90 days) support since main thing for me is successful installation (and setup) on 7 different computer with different devices attached to them.

What I am looking for is help with things like:
    • None working sound card C-Media 8338
    • PDFs incorrectly printed on HP LaserJet 6MP (bottom is not printed)
    • DVD drive not recognized after booting installation DVD.
    • Tablet Genius MousePen 8x6 not supported hardware

Most of those things in the past I managed to work under different OpenSUSE versions but it was a pain (and time consuming), and I would be willing to pay if someone is willing to fix these things for me (once and for all) . I don't want to be chasing kernel patches, driver patches, xorg.config patches, etc... I would like to install OS and that it just works!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by natasaOpenSuse View Post
    [*]None working sound card C-Media 8338
    This is supported:
    Matrix:Module-cmipci - AlsaProject
    If it didn't work for you, its because you had it configured wrong .. also, ... I've always researched my hardware before purchasing any sound card (or motherboard with built in sound) to ensure it is easily configured for sound.

[*]DVD drive not recognized after booting installation DVD.
    I've never had a DVD not recognized. Mind you I have always researched extensively before purchasing "any old" DVD drive, to ensure mine is supported easily.

[*]Tablet Genius MousePen 8x6 not supported hardware
    Tablets are not supported as well as other hardare, but still, I suspect this is supportable. Now if only my wife had taken the time to either (a) ask me, or (b) research before she purchased her tablet, and she might have a functioning one under Linux. Mind you given she is a major windows lover, I don't think she cares about Linux compatibility.

I would like to install OS and that it just works!
    Don't we all. But you know, you show me a Mac user who does not first check the box to see if it lists Mac compatibility, or if not on the box, then first very very very extensively check the internet for compatibility, ... and if you can show me a Mac user who does not first check that, I will ALSO show you a very unhappy Mac user.

I have hardware (not my wife) that "just works" under Linux. But I took the time and effort in advance to ensure the hardware I purchased "just works". If you want the same, then you have to do the same sort of research.

I'm thinking your post should be moved to soap box.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    This is supported:
    Matrix:Module-cmipci - AlsaProject
    If it didn't work for you, its because you had it configured wrong
    I know, but it doesn't work, and I don't see that I was able to do something wrong to prevent it from working (OpenSUSE 11rc1/10.3).

I've never had a DVD not recognized.
    Problem was in kernel & motherboard, not DVD. When supplied during boot parameter to use generic IDE it worked "fine", but slow.

Tablets are not supported as well as other hardare, but still, I suspect this is supportable. Now if only my wife had taken the time to either (a) ask me, or (b) research before she purchased her tablet, and she might have a functioning one under Linux. Mind you given she is a major windows lover, I don't think she cares about Linux compatibility.
    I didn't know was it supported under OpenSUSE, but knew somebody had it working under Linux, and price difference between this model and the one supported by OpenSUSE is at least $100+ (I would rather give these money to OpenSUSE folks )

I have hardware (not my wife) that "just works" under Linux. But I took the time and effort in advance to ensure the hardware I purchased "just works". If you want the same, then you have to do the same sort of research.
    Well, I did the same in the past (like in the case of sound card), but as you may see it doesn't work (even though I got binary driver for it on CD). Same thing happened with wireless card for notebook that was supposed to use supported Atheros chip (I paid 50% more for it than competition). What a waste of money!

I'm thinking your post should be moved to soap box.
    I still didn't get answer what do you get with Novell's support and my initial question.

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 19:26 +0000, natasaOpenSuse wrote:
    > oldcpu;1820795 Wrote:
    > > This is supported:
    > > 'Matrix:Module-cmipci - AlsaProject'
    > > (http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...:Module-cmipci)
    > > If it didn't work for you, its because you had it configured wrong

>
    > I know, but it doesn't work, and I don't see that I was able to do
    > something wrong to prevent it from working (OpenSUSE 11rc1/10.3).
    >
    > oldcpu;1820795 Wrote:
    > >
    > > I've never had a DVD not recognized.

>
    > Problem was in kernel & motherboard, not DVD. When supplied during boot
    > parameter to use generic IDE it worked "fine", but slow.

That merely uses old style PIO mode to access the DVD through
    the ide-generic driver. You don't want this ideally. Is it a
    SATA DVD? Do you know what ide/data controller chipset you have?

Quote Originally Posted by cjcox View Post
    On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 19:26 +0000,
    That merely uses old style PIO mode to access the DVD through
    the ide-generic driver. You don't want this ideally. Is it a
    SATA DVD? Do you know what ide/data controller chipset you have?
    Its my parents' computer and I don't have it right now here. This was problem with 10.1. Initially 10.1 was using kernel that was several versions behind current (where this issue was fixed). Is it still issue I don't know.

I appreciate help but we are getting off the subject.

Question was about Novell's support of OpenSUSE. Anyone has info about it?

So, to rephrase my question, "What kind of support do I get from Novell for my $$$ if I purchase OpenSUSE boxed version?"

Do I
    A) Pay $60 and get support that I need?
    B) Pay $600 (10x$60) and get support that I need?
    C) Pay $60 or $600 and get same support (minus lost time and money) as if I paid $0?

Hope this clarifies subject and question?

Thanks,
    Natasha

natasaOpenSuse wrote:

>
    > So, to rephrase my question, "What kind of support do I get from Novell
    > for my $$$ if I purchase OpenSUSE boxed version?"

Is this answer to your question Natasha?

http://support.novell.com/products/o...onditions.html

--
    Regards, Rajko
    http://en.opensuse.org/Portal needs helpful hands.

Quote Originally Posted by rajko_m View Post
    Is this answer to your question Natasha?

NOVELL: openSUSE: Support Requirements
    Thanks (Hvala ) Rajko,

That is exactly what I was looking for! Link from that page is actually more precise

NOVELL: openSUSE: Support Service Catalog

Unfortunately, it seems that the case is B+C+D.

Looking at this calculation, MS Windows looks cheap.

I would wonder why OpenSuse (Novell?) didn't come with another option like bounties for certain issues that would help financially effort to solve certain issues for more users (something like webmin team used to do).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast