Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade from 10.3 to 11

Lightbulb Upgrade from 10.3 to 11

Hi All,
    I want to upgrade my system from 10.3 to 11. I have other software installed e.g. oracle and a lot of data files e.g. pictures/video which i don't want to loose. What is the right way to upgrade if possible?

Default Re: Upgrade from 10.3 to 11

stick the install media in, boot from it & select upgrade when asked

Andy
    To be is to do = Immanuel Kant
    To do is to be = Descartes.
    Do be do be do = Frank Sinatra

SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994

Unhappy Re: Upgrade from 10.3 to 11

Thanx. I thought the same way but I am worried about my existing data and softwares. Are you sure all the data would remain as is? In case of upgrade do i still need to do partitioning etc? Someone please guide me. I want to play safe coz its a lot of effort and I don't want anything to go wrong for which i'have to curse myself

If the info is that important, back it up to an external HDD or flash drive.

Thanx. The issue is that data volume is high ~30GB. I don't have external HD to back it up too. Is it safe to assume that upgrade will only upgrade the Linux Kernal and other packages and the data would remain intact?

Blog Entries

If it's critical data, no it's not safe to assume that.

In fact it's not safe to assume that the data are safe on a starry night in August if you don't have adequate regular backup protocols operating.

I think an investment in a portable usb hdd would be a wise move. You could use partimage to back up the root partition and tar to back up the data and then upgrade in comfort.

Good luck
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Let us know how your upgrade works out. The two upgrades I've attemped went poorly.

I would reccomend backups... heck just tar it up and SCP it somewhere else if you can!

Smile Re: Upgrade from 10.3 to 11

Thanks everyone for the response!! I guess the safe bet is to not to upgrade until I take a back up of the data I need. So I am gonna take some rest now, buy a storage media and back up data. Then only I'll attempt for an upgrade. Anyways, I'll keep you guys posted but it's gonna be atleast a week from now.

swetko NNTP User

is posible upgrade from 10.3 to 11 only from DVD or too from Live CD ?

Blog Entries

Not enough packages on the live CD -- should use the DVD
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast