Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wacom Bamboo

Exclamation Wacom Bamboo

Good day people,

I have a problem with my new Wacom Bamboo graphic tablet. It doesn't work.
    So far I tried:
    1) Installing wacom module through Yast but it didn't do much.
    2) Compiling wacom module from source I got at Linux Wacom Project. Didn't work either as the 'make' command results in numerous errors and the configure script doesn't include wacom kernel module into config even though I use --enable-wacom switch :/

If any one of you did get it to work, would you please tell me how? Pretty please?

[I use OpenSuSE 10.3 64 version on dualcore AMD 64 laptop.]

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wacom Bamboo

There is a blog here where a user managed to get a different model wacom to work:
    Moosy blog - Wacom Volito tablet in OpenSUSE

I've never tried to configure a graphic tablet myself. But my wife purchased a DLA-401 Digital Note Recorder (a different model graphic tablet) and she has challenged me to get that running under Linux. < with evil grin on her part > ...

To clarify, my wife is a big WinXP fan, and the DLA-401 comes with WinXP support. But no mention of Linux. Of course she paid no heed to Linux compatibility when she purchased it. Sometimes I think she does this sort of purchase (without some Linux compatibility research before hand) as a challenge to me, to see if I can get new hardware working with Linux.

I'm not confident I am up to that challenge, especially since a large portion of the support for that device happens to be in the Thai language.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    There is a blog here where a user managed to get a different model wacom to work:
    Moosy blog - Wacom Volito tablet in OpenSUSE
    There is also a linux wacom project page, with links to howtos and stuff:
    The Linux Wacom Project

Blog Entries

There is also a linux wacom project page, with links to howtos and stuff:
    The Linux Wacom Project
    One more link ... this openSUSE page also has information for stand alone tablets, and is not dedicated to just Tablet PCs.
    TabletPCs - openSUSE

Blog Entries

One more link ... this openSUSE page also has information for stand alone tablets, and is not dedicated to just Tablet PCs.
    TabletPCs - openSUSE
    When viewing the above page, don't over look the build service repository with updated applications for tablet PCs. For openSUSE-10.3 its here:
    Index of /repositories/home:/dkukawka/openSUSE_10.3

Thank you for the reply (all four of them ) But unfortunatly I have already tried all of the above And none worked. The prebuilt module for SuSE is version 7, however to my dismay my particular hardware is only supported by version 8 and up, and that one is very new...
    As for the website and howto there - I tried that too, but the module just wouldn't build for some reason, even with all the dependancies in place.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by it-s View Post
    The prebuilt module for SuSE is version 7, however to my dismay my particular hardware is only supported by version 8 and up, and that one is very new...
    As for the website and howto there - I tried that too, but the module just wouldn't build for some reason, even with all the dependancies in place.
    OK, ... well, ... good on ya for doing all that research! Sorry to read it wasn't successful.

You could submit a request to the build service to have the wacom driver redone for the bamboo (assuming bamboo support is in the driver). I have not submitted a request to the build service myself, so I can't really help there.

Or alternatively, try contact user dkukawka and very very politely, ask if he has some suggestions on how to build the package?
    User: Dkukawka home page - openSUSE
    I note it is his repository (repos) that has the latest tablet rpm packages, and he did do his thesis in tablets. And on his web site, he does state: "If you need some help to get you Tablet PC running feel free to ask me. " ....

I suspect I will be contacting him about getting my wife's table to work, ... BUT not before I research her tablet a bit more, and try some things on my own first.

Talking Re: Wacom Bamboo

Thanks for all your help people. I've upgrated to 11.0 and all is working now out of the box

Blog Entries

Thanks for all your help people. I've upgrated to 11.0 and all is working now out of the box
    Excellent! and Congratulations! I note enhancement #302889 was for increased Table Support in SAX2, and I'm wondering if this was the enhancement that did it for you, when you upgraded to 11.0
    Feature_No:_302889.29: add_more_Tablet_PCs_to_SaX2_Tablet_Section

Looks like I will have to update my wife's PC's openSUSE-10.3 boot partition, to 11.0 to test her tablet. I probably should do that, before I am pushed into contacting user dkukawka, else I will likely be wasting his time. On the bright side, I obtained a LOT more confidence in 11.0 last night, when I nailed down the problem that had been plaguing me in 11.0 (from beta2 to RC1 to GM) as a hardware (intermittent hard drive) problem. I'm happily running 11.0 in my test PC (with a different older, and very small, hard drive) and I may start upgrading the rest of the PCs in our house to 11.0 over the course of the next few months. [and buy a new larger hard drive ]

Mine used to work in 11B1 but doesn't any longer. Would you mind emainling a copy of your fstab and xorg.conf files to amau@sympatico.ca so I don't tear my hair out trying to get this thing working again.

Allan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast