Why are the web forums so slow?

The old forums were rather snappy…the new ones take forever to load a page…this is on a fast connection with a cacheing proxy when every other website is popping up before I can hit enter. I realize that many people use the nntp interface but am I the only one seeing this on the web side? Man I miss the old forums.

It is quite slow for me to.

you’re not the only one to experience this. On my side, the forum has been slowing down for the past two days

I’m going to guess (note that I’m not completely sure about this), but the Forums may be slower for the next few days because of the 11.0 release and massive downloaded. I could be wrong because they may be on a different server, but that may slow down the entire server. Just a guess.

Slow, difficult to read, screens too “busy”, logins etc. fiddly, and we’ve nearly all had to change our usernames.

Personally, I’ve been less than impressed so far. Maybe it’s my age and resistance to change, but give me the old forums anyday. They felt much friendlier.

Most of my waiting for a page to load is “static.opensuse.org” at least thats what the lower left of firefox 3 says it’s waiting on…

If it’s this slow when it’s just sending files to the mirror sites whats it gonna be like when opensuse 11 is available to everyone? The forum is basically unusable for me right now as I load a page and go do something else…come back…see if it loaded a BLANK page where I have to hit refresh or actually worked…even this post is being done on a page with a white background because half the page content didn’t load.

Who’s idea was it exactly to go to a new forum right before a major release?

Try using the openSUSE skin (at the bottom of this page) rather than the default openSUSE-Forums skin. You may find this less cluttered and quicker to load. :wink:

Like I said, just an idea, but that was my guess.

That helped. Like learning to walk again.
Ron

I’m also assuming it’s because of the release

We’ll see :smiley:

Thanks, this made a huge difference. :slight_smile: But it’s not as shiny… :rolleyes:

yeah agree,maybe much higher traffic due to the fact we are hosting a good chunk of the community as before some of us would wander from one SuSE forum to another.
plus not happy with the format, but that may change, you know, maybe it’s a case of teaching this old dog a new trick

Because all new people would go asking the same questions in multiple different forums and it would fragment the userbase.

The forums are fine, stop whining.

It was a smart idea, all questions can be asked in one place, on the same site they download the files from and read the news from. Why go searching for some forums on google or yahoo when they are one click away.

Speed wise I’ve been having a bit of a problem, but I’m sure it will be fixed at some point.

Chrysantine wrote:

>
> famewolf;1820350 Wrote:
>> Who’s idea was it exactly to go to a new forum right before a major
>> release?
> Because all new people would go asking the same questions in multiple
> different forums and it would fragment the userbase.
>
> The forums are fine, stop whining.
>
>

Since several other people have indicated they are also having issues I’d
say no the forums are not fine and if you don’t like my posts feel free to
skip them or add me to your killfile. Be sure I’m returning the favor.

famewolf wrote:
> The old forums were rather snappy…the new ones take forever to load a
> page…this is on a fast connection with a cacheing proxy when every
> other website is popping up before I can hit enter. I realize that
> many people use the nntp interface but am I the only one seeing this on
> the web side? Man I miss the old forums.
>
>

as far as i can tell the entire forum is ALMOST totally unusable
(because of S L O W ) from europe at 08:30 central euro daylight time
on 19 June 2008

that is about midnight-thirty in NYC, where are these servers racked
anyway? this forum is part of the WORLD WIDE web, we don’t sleep when
NYC does…if you are gonna shut down every NYC night to do cron jobs:
thanks for nothing!

what is static.opensuse.org, why does it have to be involved in EVERY
action, and why is it so slow?

frustrated,
DenverD

Yes it slow for me too. Changing the skin to OpenSUSE helped, probably because it avoids loading some stuff. I don’t miss the sidebar, it gives more space for the forum content. And I’m also seeing that it’s blocking on static.opensuse.org. Here’s hoping that some extra resources will be devoted to speeding it up. Maybe the static.opensuse.org URLs are not cacheable or something like that?

I ought to start another thread about my biggest peeve, the 1 hour timeout. I can understand that Novell might want to keep the time short on their sites, but for a forum site, it really is annoying to have to login often, even if Firefox does fill in the fields for me from the password manager.

My guess is that they are redesigning the web pages or tightening security because some silly little Ubuntu kiddie messed with some of the pages this morning.

See here:

openSUSE say what? - Ubuntu Forums

…one of the drawbacks of “winning over” Windows users in my opinion, you get the trash along with the treasure!

As previously mentioned…changing the forum skin does help alot…mainly because it doesn’t access the static.opensuse.org stuff. If you are using polipo as your cacheing web proxy then disabling “poor man’s multiplexing” helps some of the “blank screens” I was getting…I just chose to load the forum in konqueror since it doesn’t use the proxy at all and do the rest of my surfing in firefox with the proxy. You can also access the account via nntp and it will be faster since it’s only throwing text around but you can’t get the equivalent of clicking “new posts” where you can see everything at a glance that has been updated since your last visit.

As for having to relogin hourly…it’s annoying but since I’ve saved the user/pass in firefox it’s a little faster.

I just tried changing the skin, and it certainly helps a lot. Thanks for the tip. However, I seem to have to change the skin every time I log in! How can I fix this?

The old forums also had a “lo-fi” option, which was great for printing/storing useful threads locally. Is this hidden somewhere, or has it gone forever?

Finally, re: the Ubuntu forum story…this is why I use SuSE!!!