Windows - Linux Network - problems accessing files

Hello
my second problem…
I have with the aid of a very good how-to been able to set up a Linux-Windows Network.
I can see the Windows folder (Shared Docs) in Suse and from the Windows machine I can see the Samba server. When I dbl-click from the Linux machine on SharedDocs, I’m being told the folder does not exist.
And if I try to access the samba server from the Windows machine I need a password. But neither the root or my user login work.
What do I do?
Please make your answers foolproof, as I’m still a noob with Linux and I definately have no idea about setting up networks.
Thanks
g

Hi

First turn off the Suse firewall and any third-party firewall on the windows machine until you get this sorted. Makes the problem less complicated.

I can see the Windows folder (Shared Docs) in Suse and from the Windows machine I can see the Samba server. When I dbl-click from the Linux machine on SharedDocs, I’m being told the folder does not exist.

Check the workgroup name in windows and Suse are the same. In Suse the workgroup name is in the file /etc/samba/smb.conf and you can look into that with your file browser. When they are the same, if the problem persists then post here the contents of the file smb.conf at /etc/samba/smb.conf.

And if I try to access the samba server from the Windows machine I need a password. But neither the root or my user login work.
What do I do?

You must add a user to the Samba user database, suppose your username is “billy”. Open a console and type this and then follow the bouncing ball:

sudo smbpasswd -a billy

Then supply those credentials from windows.

adding the user to the samba database worked. Windows can now access my files. I turned off the Windows firewall but still get the message, that the folder (shareddocs on Windows) does not exist.
Am I missing something?:confused:

swerdna:it was your excellent howto that I followed for setting up the LAN - Thank you very much :slight_smile:

Thanks for the compliment

Turn off the Suse firewall too for the time being (but I don’t think firewalls are the problem here; I just say that to make sure we get less confusion).

Check that SharedDocs sharing settings in windows (if it’s xp) is set to “allow network users to alter my files” or like that (can’t remember), but I don’t think that’s the problem. BTW is that the folder “Shared Documents”?

Hmmm… Maybe it’s a vista thing? are you using vista and if so: what version of Suse are you using plus what are the vista sharing settings?

I’m using Windows XP & Suse 10.3 64bit.
The folder properties on SharedDocs (yes, Shared Documents - but I think I renamed it ages ago) are set to “allow network users to alter my files”. And I did this to the folders inside SharedDocs, but still nothing.

2 thoughts:
1: Can you please post the contents of smb.conf located at /etc/samba/smb.conf.

2: And just confirm that you checked the workgroup names are the same for xp and Suse?

Yes, the workgroup names are both the same (MSHOME).
Here’s the config:

smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented

version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SUSE if the

samba-doc package is installed.

Date: 2008-05-28

[global]
workgroup = MSHOME
netbios name = cellar
name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
printing = cups
printcap name = cups
printcap cache time = 750
cups options = raw
map to guest = Bad User
include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
logon path = \%L\profiles.msprofile
logon home = \%L%U.9xprofile
logon drive = P:
usershare allow guests = Yes
[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = %S, %D%w%S
browseable = No
read only = No
inherit acls = Yes
[profiles]
comment = Network Profiles Service
path = %H
read only = No
store dos attributes = Yes
create mask = 0600
directory mask = 0700

[users]
comment = All users
path = /home
read only = No
inherit acls = Yes
veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/
[groups]
comment = All groups
path = /home/groups
read only = No
inherit acls = Yes
[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/tmp
printable = Yes
create mask = 0600
browseable = No
[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
write list = @ntadmin root
force group = ntadmin
create mask = 0664
directory mask = 0775

Thanks for the help.

I can’t see any clear reason why that doesn’t work.

Try this: make a new folder in windows, e.g. just nmake “share” as a folder on the desktop. R-click and share it. Then see after a reboot of windows whether you can get to that share over the network from Suse.

That’s just to see whether there’s anything special or corrupt or whatever about the “Shared Docs” folder, or whether your problem is general to all shared folders on XP.

No success - I’m still being told that the folder does not exist. It is possible though, to copy files from Suse to XP from XP.

My god. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my Vista machine couldnt log on to my Samba server. Thanks for the post.

Got it working – great! But just out of interest, what was wrong that you altered?

Yes. You said “adding the user to the samba database worked. Windows can now access my files” so in the wondows box R-click and copy/paste a file across. There’s a “hidden” share that projects your entire Suse home directory to the network. In windows you address it like this: For example with username “harry” you would enter into the windows network browser this address:

//cellar/harry

or you can use the IP address something like:

//10.0.0.23/harry

That gets you access to all of harry’s files, the whole shebang

Well I was able to see and access my windows box from opensuse. No problems there.

From my Vista box I could see my linux box but when I would try to open a folder it would need a user name and password just like with my 10.3 install. But this time with a fresh OpenSUSE 11 install it would not allow me to log in. I tried root, my home account, and even windows users.

I don’t recall having to add a samba user using “smbpasswd -a <user>” with 10.3. But I did it this time and it worked great. Thank you.
Rob

That 10.3 share probably contained within it’s definition paragraph in smb.conf the line:

guest ok = yes

Call me thick, but I’m not sure what you mean. Windows box? Do you mean copying a file (any file?) from XP to Suse or is there something in Suse I should be aware of?
I’m trying to access XP on Suse via Konqueror-Network Folders-SMB Shares etc.

I’ve confused the situation completely by reading your comment:

It is possible though, to copy files from Suse to XP from XP

wrongly like this

Is is possible though, to copy files from Suse to XP from XP?

So forget my post number #12.

Back to the problem: I can’t see any reason why you can’t get to the shares that you created on the Windows box; i.e. I can’t see why you are “still being told that the folder does not exist”.

Before I give up I suggest that you try this: Replace this in the file smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = MSHOME
netbios name = cellar
printing = cups
printcap name = cups
cups options = raw
map to guest = Bad User
include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
logon path = \%L\profiles.msprofile
logon home = \%L%U.9xprofile
logon drive = P:

With this:

[global]
workgroup = MSHOME
netbios name = cellar
server string = “”
printing = cups
printcap name = cups
cups options = raw
use client driver = yes
map to guest = Bad User
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 65
usershare max shares = 100
usershare owner only = False

And then do this little dance:
restart Suse and wait for it to settle to fully on
restart windows and wait for it to settle to fully on
restart Suse and wait for it to settle to fully on
restart windows and wait for it to settle to fully on

Check that the Samba daemons are running by these two commands in a console:

sudo /usr/sbin/rcnmb status
sudo /usr/sbin/rcsmb status

Each should report that it is “running”

And see how that goes.

:frowning: Nope! That doesn’t do it either. I think I’ll have hubby check out the windows firewall - again.
Shall I change the smb.conf to the previous setting?

No, leave the smb.conf with the changed version, because the other one was a bit off the money (so to speak). The [global] I gave you is ideal for a sole Linux computer in a windows household. In a more egalitarian household with several Linux machines you would use this:

[global]
workgroup = MSHOME
netbios name = cellar
server string = “”
printing = cups
printcap name = cups
cups options = raw
use client driver = yes
map to guest = Bad User
local master = yes
os level = 33
usershare max shares = 100
usershare owner only = False

Get hubby to check the windows firewall – in fact turn all windows firewalls off just to test if it is a problem. But windows firewall in it’s factory fresh, untweaked state should let Samba through.

Then it’s up to you whether we proceed. If you want to proceed then return the exact error message that you get plus enter this command in a console and post the results:

nmblookup -S windows_name

and test this in your Suse network browser:
instead of this, which gives the error:

smb://windows_name/SharedDocs

try this:

smb://IP_Address/SharedDocs

Change windows_name to the browsing name for the windows box. IP_address is like 192.168.1.10 but use your IP address of the windows box.

But I’m really puzzled by this one.

Ok, here are the (error) messages

gila@cellar:~> nmblookup -S davegila
querying davegila on 192.168.0.255
192.168.0.2 davegila<00>
Looking up status of 192.168.0.2
DAVEGILA <00> - B <ACTIVE>
MSHOME <00> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>
DAVEGILA <20> - B <ACTIVE>
MSHOME <1e> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>

MAC Address = 00-1D-7D-01-0A-B9

gila@cellar:~> smb://davegila/SharedDocs
bash: smb://davegila/SharedDocs: No such file or directory

gila@cellar:~> smb://192.168.0.2/SharedDocs
bash: smb://192.168.0.2/SharedDocs: No such file or directory

But the latest twist is this: He can’t access his SharedDocs folder from his own Windows system (“Folder not accessible”) haha!
I suppose I have to convince him to install Linux instead.

But the latest twist is this: He can’t access his SharedDocs folder from his own Windows system (“Folder not accessible”) haha!

LOL +1

I imagine that’s the underlying problem