No Sound with via CN700-Chipset?

(Sorry for my worse english!)

I have a strange problem with my VIA EPIA PC2500 (with VIA-C7D and 2GB-RAM):

I Have no Sound. The installed and updated OpenSuse 10.2 shows the Soundcard correct and active, Volume is set to maximum, but when i play an “.ogg”-File, i hear nothing.
When I try OpenSuse 10.3 (live-CD), it will detect the Soundcard, but cannot “enable” the Card.

The problem is very strange, because i have an “old PC” with the same Board, but with Suse 10.1 installed and “updated” to 10.2, where sound is no problem.

Note that live CD’s can be tricky (and sometimes not possible) to permanently setup up sound, because sometimes a setting needs to be saved on a hard drive. This means when you reboot (the live-CD) the setting is lost.

Now, is it just the “ogg” format that gives you trouble? Can you play a .wav file? If you get sound with .wav, and not with .ogg, please skip the below, and just advise in a post on this thread, and we can then check that you have the necessary codecs to play “ogg” format.

To help assist you determine if any sound works, could you copy and paste the command line below into a terminal/xterm/konsole:
speaker-test -c2 -Ddefault -twav

To stop it, you must press <CTR><C>. Don’t forget to check your mixer settings while that is trying to play sound. Does that command give you sound?

If that gives you no sound, could you work your way through the audio troubleshooting guide?
SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE

In particular note the recommendation to install alsa-firmware.

Also, if after having worked through the audio troubleshooting guide, you still have no success in obtaining any sound, please post here the output of:

• the URLs produced by running the two audio diagnostic scripts mentioned in the openSUSE audio Troubleshooting Guide:
    SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE

• the output of copy and pasting the following (one line at a time) in a konsole:**
    uname -a
    rpm -qa | grep alsa
    rpm -q libasound2
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound**