Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the downsides of Opensuse

multiplexed NNTP User

Default What are the downsides of Opensuse

Im trying to get Linux+ certified, and have several noob questions. Im trying to decide which distro to use long term as a server.

I really like opensuse, but my main question is what are the downsides of opensuse? Are there general OS & server issues? How is version 11. How long are security patches available, can you do upgrades (not forced to clean install). How are stability & reliability, etc. Are there any other issues that effect a server install? Are there any other general comments?

Default Re: What are the downsides of Opensuse

The free openSuSE has a 24 month lifetime for security patches and that's pretty much the only negative side to it.

With the introduction of 11.0+zypper dist-upgrades should now be possible, I did a 10.3-to-11.0 upgrade with some voodoo magic earlier today.

Stability and reliability.. well I have 10.3 running services for hundreds of thousands of people and none of the machines have ever, even once, gone down without external issues (such as power malfunction or hardware failure which you cannot really attribute to the OS).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by multiplexed View Post
    but my main question is what are the downsides of opensuse?
    Don't laugh, but the BIGGEST downside in our household is my wife is annoyed I spend so much time having fun with it. ...

Oldcpu, The same here man. LoL

TO get to the real point, it is playing game for me but with wine it is getting a lot better.
    Thanks,
    l33
    "People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
    http://www.the-server-admin.com/

I think they're talking more from a server point-of-view
    "If it ain't broke, find something wrong with it"

I've been running an FTP server for the last year or so with openSUSE. I had some teething issues, but that was due to the fact I had no idea what I was doing. Now, running 10.3, I have no issues at all.

It's not for lots of people though, only a handful of friends.

multiplexed NNTP User

Thanks for everyone's reply. I've been googling this for over a day now. The only complaints that I could even find, will be fixed in v11.

I'm sticking with opensuse since I like it a lot and I'm already familiar with it. I like that it sounds very reliable, but yet it uses modern & newer packages soon after their release. Then there's the forums here that are helpful.

I'll eventually end up buying an opensuse box just to show support for Novell.

Anyway, thanks again for everyone's comments.

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 14:11 +0000, multiplexed wrote:
    > I’m trying to get Linux+ certified, and have several noob questions. I’m
    > trying to decide which distro to use long term as a server.
    >
    > I really like opensuse, but my main question is what are the downsides
    > of opensuse? Are there general OS & server issues? How is version 11.
    > How long are security patches available, can you do upgrades (not
    > forced to clean install). How are stability & reliability, etc. Are
    > there any other issues that effect a server install? Are there any
    > other general comments?
    >
    >

openSUSE is a good community distro. If you're talking about
    openSUSE vs. Ubuntu/Fedora/Mandriva/etc... then I'd say
    openSUSE is the best.

With regards to patches, obviously, it has a "short" lifespan.
    I'd recommend upgrading at least every year.... but you can
    certainly go longer. If you're a business looking for
    long term stability and support, I'd look at the SUSE
    Linux Enterprise line of products.... which I also recommend.

Novell SLES is by definition, server ONLY.
    Novell SLED is by definition, client ONLY.

Novell does not make a "selectable" product with elements
    that are BOTH client and server. They say they need
    a business case (e.g. money) to make that happen.

openSUSE is a superset combination of both mostly. There
    are a few differences, but in general openSUSE makes for
    a great server as well as full featured desktop.

With that said, it can be VERY difficult to take an
    openSUSE machine and move to SLES or SLED since neither
    supply the wealth of packages and options that openSUSE
    has. Just an observation.

well as far as certification goes I'd go for RHCE which (at least here in the Netherlands) is a wider accepted certificate and more or less the linux standard opposed to MCSE.

As a desktop openSUSE (since 11) is fine with finally a workable package manager. For a server I would use debian or CentOS/RHEL though but that might just be personal preference. I like a barebone industry standard server, I'd never use openSUSE as a server OS but then again nor would I do so with Fedora.

as far as the community goes I think things might start looking better with the merged forums. I'd say ubuntu has the largest but with a huge n00b ring to it and fedora has the forum with very knowledgable people in it always ready to help. The diverse suse forums were always a bit too fragmented for me until now.

stefan.
    "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they make a vacuum cleaner"
    Hardware: Dell Precision M65

multiplexed NNTP User

I'd look at the SUSE Linux Enterprise line of products
    Im not very familiar with Novell licensing, but the cheapest SLES is $349 annually. I really dislike subscriptions just on principal. Also, that price would be great for a 50 seat network, but for 10 seats its quite expensive. After three years it would cost almost the same as a windows 2008 SBS.

as far as certification goes I'd go for RHCE
    Isnt the RHCE extremely difficult ? Im just starting out right now. A few years from now I might look into higher end certs, maybe LPI or Novells offering.

For a server I would use debian or CentOS/RHEL
    I looked into CentOS, but they always seem to be way behind on new packages & features. I also looked into ubuntu, but Ive heard that they do things in a nonstandard way sometimes, though I didnt follow up as to what that meant.

I do like that opensuse uses modern packages and features, yet its still very stable. Also, suse rpms seem to be common. I might look into gentoo or freebsd later on, but for now Im probably sticking with opensuse. Ill probably stick with free distributions and take my chances with no support. Ill see if I can locate a local consultant somewhere in case I get stuck.

Thanks again for everyone's comments. They are extremely helpful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast