Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OpenSUSE 11.0 Question

Default OpenSUSE 11.0 Question

With OpenSUSE 11.0 coming out tomorrow, I wanted to know if it has a full drive encryption option like Fedora 9 and Ubuntu 8.04 have.

Appreciate any replies.

Thanks

Talking Re: OpenSUSE 11.0 Question

Yes, it does have a full drive encryption. I'm using it since 11.0 1 or 2, don't know anymore - and it works fantastic.
    http://www.9fingersfortibet.com/

Put no trust in cryptic comments.

Exclamation Re: OpenSUSE 11.0 Question

Quote Originally Posted by skkd View Post
    Yes, it does have a full drive encryption. I'm using it since 11.0 1 or 2, don't know anymore - and it works fantastic.
    Is that a laptop feature specifically?
    Linux user 367344

Default Re: OpenSUSE 11.0 Question

Quote Originally Posted by skkd View Post
    Yes, it does have a full drive encryption. I'm using it since 11.0 ß1 or ß2, don't know anymore - and it works fantastic.
    Sounds good.

How difficult is it to setup? I have the RC1 LiveCD and I cannot see the option...

Are we talking about encrypting the drive OpenSUSE is installed on? And setting up the encryption at install time?

Anyone?

I world rather not replace my current distro if OpenSUSE 11.0 does not make it as simple as ubuntu or fedora to encrypt the full hdd at install time to protect the content of my laptop.

Well, it is that easy, you can set up encryption of the partition at installtime, or after it, if you wish, by manually activating it via the partitionmanager in the yast-controlcenter.

Everytime you start up, you have to enter the password. If you don't do it (I believe after two minutes), the boot-process goes on, without mounting the partition/drive.

So the typical thing, if your /home is not the same like yesterday ... remount your harddisk ;-), entering the correct password.
    http://www.9fingersfortibet.com/

Put no trust in cryptic comments.

I think they want to do all the HDD not just home at install.

Now I can't confirm or deny but with some googling I got here https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=386426 This suggests yast doesn't handle it but will do in the future.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Ubuntu has this at install-time
    [Phoronix] Ubuntu 7.10 Supports Install-Time Encryption

fedora has something similar at install-time.

Does opensuse 11 have it? I cannot see it in the livecd during installation.

Going on the bug report I think the answer is no you can't do / without following the wiki article, yast doesn't make it possible yet.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Oh well. Maybe something to look forward to in OpenSUSE 12.0?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast