Huawei 220 3G modem.

Hi,

I just installed on opensuse 10.3 a huawei 3G usb modem (3.5G actually), and just now noticed that opensuse does have a support page.

SDB:HUAWEI E220 Support - openSUSE

It took me a long time but now I find it simple although I did not follow any of the steps in the above howto.

For those who still like to thinker with the prompt here goes an alternative way that I collected from this link:

[3G_Tutorial] Huawei Card E620/E220 - Techzone](http://www.techzonept.com/showthread.php?p=3091856#post3091856)

In OpenSuSE 10.3 (64 bits) the kernel version supports the device.

It basically says the following:

connect to the usb the device and then make as root

lsubs

after a couple of seconds a new line appears that corresponds to the modem:

Bus 004 Device 012: ID 12d1:1003

The ID part is the important one.

now is a good time to for example shutdown ethernet configs …

make

ifdown eth0

or whatever your wired/wireless connection requires.

Now the important:

rmmod usb-storage && modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003

basically the modem is ready to run.

I made it run with kppp and my config works for vodafone in Portugal, elsewhere some parameters obviously must change.
It is very simple:

The link above shows the wvdial config and it work ok.

In the connection make a new connection with:

99**1#

Authentication: PAP/CHAP

• IP : dynamic
  • Gateway: default gateway, and check the box :
    assign the default route to this gateway
  • DNS
    Authomatic
    check: Disable existing DNS servers

In Kppp modem section make a new modem with

/dev/ttyUSB0
Hardware[CRTSCTS0]
Line termination CR
Connection speed 460800
Check use lock file

• Check wait for dial tone before dialing
    busy 0sec

• in modem commands:

if your card requires a PIN then init1 = AT+CPIN=1324 (pin number)

I place one of the clone sim cards I use (one for the Nokia E90 another for the huawei dongle) on the Nokia E90 and removed the PIN protection.

init2 = ATZ

All other parameters in this panel where default.

Before we can dial there was one last problem:

pppd gave an error both on kppp as well as on wvdial

pppd unrecognized option ‘passwordfd’

I realized that all peers in /etc/ppp/peers had a call to the plugin passwordfd.so in their files except
/etc/ppp/peers/wvdial

So I edited /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial and placed a new line at the top:

plugin passwordfd.so

after that both wvdial with the config from the initial link and kppp worked ok !

And good friends: 3.5G Rocks … 1.5Mb/s !!!

Regards,
Pedro

First

thanks pedro,your post very usefull for me

Hi Guys,

i have just installed SuSE 11 and it can handle the huawei e220 very well. just plug&play! :smiley: (Y)
try it!

What have i missed as i am runnig a huawei 220 3G modem on my pc thru a usb hub and it did not pick it up, it is running in aus on 3 network, do i need to check anything else.

I originally had openSUSE 10.2 installed, and successfully manually configured my E220 with YaST’s (modem utility), and controlled it via KInternet. Upon installing openSUSE11, the device was automatically detected by NetworkManager.

What have i missed as i am runnig a huawei 220 3G modem on my pc thru a usb hub and it did not pick it up, it is running in aus on 3 network, do i need to check anything else.

Try connecting the device directly to one of your usb ports, then if NetworkManager (I use KNetworkManager with KDE) can’t see it, try running the ‘lsusb’ command. Post the rusults if you need more help.