Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mysql issue

Default Mysql issue

I installed MySql via Yast in 10.3. After I start up the machine mysql isn't running and when I try to start it I get this error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

If I reinstall MySQL and set up the root password it works until I log back in.

I don't really need it running every time I start my machine. How do I manually start it and if I want force it to run on boot? The Mysql entry on this site assumes that by installing through yast and setting the password means that all is well so there is no other information.

Default Re: Mysql issue

chkconfig mysql on
    Starts it upon every reboot.

rcmysql start
    Starts MySQL.

Both must be issued as either root or with super user privileges.

Thanks but neither of those worked. I found the solution: /sbin/service mysql start

Blog Entries

Probably didn't work because you didn't have /sbin and /usr/sbin on your $PATH. su by itself won't change $PATH, but if you do su -, you will get root's $PATH and chrysantine's suggestions will work. Or specify the absolute path:

/sbin/chkconfig
    /usr/sbin/rcmysql

/etc/init.d/mysql start
    works fine for me.. i start as when I need..

Quote Originally Posted by vilanye View Post
    Thanks but neither of those worked. I found the solution: /sbin/service mysql start
    If they didn't work, you weren't root.

Use Yast to go into System Services and check mysql and apache and everything will be OK.

You shouldn't try to run mysql from the Linux root at all as Apache is up and running and you will be vulnerable, only from user.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    Use Yast to go into System Services and check mysql and apache and everything will be OK.

You shouldn't try to run mysql from the Linux root at all as Apache is up and running and you will be vulnerable, only from user.
    If you are worried about accidents while root, use sudo:

Code:
    sudo /usr/sbin/rcmysql start
    or

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
    which is portable across Linuxes.

Much faster than firing up YaST and works over a terminal connection.

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    The init scripts switch user privileges - that's why you're supposed to use them ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysantine View Post
    If they didn't work, you weren't root.
    I was root and they didn't work.not with su or with sudo. sudo doesn't run many root programs, ifconfig and iwconfig to name two.

su - did work

We have learned today that su or sudo won't run everything. Apparently su - will.

I don't use Apache so no worries there. I only use MySQL to test a few rails apps running in mongrel.

Why in the heck are the mysql files scattered all over the file system and there are so many ways to start it? That is not indicative of good design. Mysql isn't the only offender. The number of places that **** for java is scattered around is even worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast