a) MPEG2
    b) XVID
    c) WMV (v9)
    d) ASF
    e) MPEG1
    f) MKV/MKA - Matroska
    g) Quicktime
    etc etc etc..

Yes there are Packman repositories, 1-click.

BUT unless you uninstall the broken gstreamer and do a lot of playing around. You end up with a broken experience for multimedia playback. Yes you can set priority to 1 for packman. But still you get totem not playing files, vlc playing some files types.

If we want to tempt windows users over to Opensuse, a clean script which removes the broken gstreamer and installs all available codecs (after the appropriate warning re: legality in your country) is needed.

Newbie/Novice linux users will give up quickly and move to ubuntu/mint 5.0 which has better multimedia support.

Anyone got a script to donate to the community ????

Default Re: Codecs and OpenSuSe 11..?

zypper in mplayer

Done, not installed a codec for a long, long time. Mplayer plugin should help with browser stuff.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

like FM said, mplayer plays virtually all audio/video formats and there's no need to install "codec packs"

And if you still want them next to having MPlayer, have a look here :
    Restricted Formats - openSUSE-Community

Cheers,
    wj
    Have a lot of fun!

and if you're 64bit ;-) ?
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

castlesoft NNTP User

Wink Re: Codecs and OpenSuSe 11..?

Thanks for the Mplayer tip..(including the plugin/browser). Will try it now.

But what if you want to use Totem/Banshee/Gstreamer ?
    Or do conversions between formats ?

Don't you need the codecs ?

The Restricted Formats 11.0
    http://opensuse-community.org/codecs-gnome.ymp

Doesn't fix the crippled gstreamer issue.

You can click, it downloads/installs etc.

But totem and other gstreamer based solutions fail to play due to the opensuse gstreamer version deployed with 11.0.

I've tried to force packman to priority 1 instead of 99.

And if you try to uninstall gstreamer, its got dependancies on so much stuff it becomes a mess.

It would be nice if there was a way to force the gstreamer w32codecs onto a machine with the default/broken gstreamer.

So one can have a choice of other players other than mplayer.

But if its too hard.. I'll just have to settle with mplayer I suppose.

I just used the 10.3 one click install on my 11rc2 and all installed ok. DVD works as well.
    Linux user 367344

I'm no gnome user but looking at that ymp it should be installing xine - A Free Video Player - Features which is libxine1 on Suse it is xine-lib iirc.

Really unsure why it is not installing libxine1 should be, I take it you've changed the engine. XINE - openSUSE this confirms the naming difference, check in software management.

As for codecs shouldn't really need it going on this xine - A Free Video Player - About xine seems it is using some bits of ffmpeg .

Need MC here to tell you I know a few projects use ffmpeg some better than others, iirc both vlc and mplayer tweak ffmpeg.

I won't be upgrading to 11 for a bit from 10.3.

But I have never found it hard to get Kaffeine to a good point, and MPlayer will also work easily. Just I prefer Kaffeine.

indeed, all popular video players use ffmpeg in their core, some more than the other. ffmpeg can play virtually all audio and video formats. The ffmpeg developers work together with mplayer and that's why mplayer is one of the best video players for Linux, and MEncoder (the encoder of mplayer) one of the best encoders for Linux, along with ffmpeg of course.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast