Which version of linux...

I at home currently use OpenSuse 10.3 - may i just add i find this a brilliant piece of kit and cannot wait until version 11.

But which version of linux would you say is the best. I have so far used Opensuse and for the first time ever looked at Sandros on a EEPC we have just purchased at work (everyone for remote use from work take a look at this under 300 quid)

But in upmost honesty which do you actually think is the best Linux operating system and Why?

Is there a specific OS which is best used for work? Is there one which is made just for home or are they all the same?

I need answers people to the complete Linux system. :slight_smile:

Get typing :slight_smile:

There’s no such thing as best. All distros have their pros and cons. In the end, it all comes to personal perference. For me, of course, openSUSE is best but for someone else, Ubuntu or Fedora might be best…

Having, at one time or another, tested quite a few Linux versions I’ve found SuSE to be the most consistently reliable in a business environment.

Yes 10.1 was a miserable release but apart from that and ripping out ZMD so far anything after 9.x has been a good workhorse for many different tasks - I mainly deploy SuSE as a server platform for various tasks many of them being “business critical” and it hasn’t failed me yet. (Can’t say the same for Debian, Fedora or Solaris - although Solaris isn’t a distro).

You will have a job to find better than openSuSE 10.3 and 11 when it’s out.

Hardy Heron ain’t bad either works fine for me.

I am using openSUSE 11.0 RC1 right now and I think for a regular user this is the best ditro ever created, honestly :slight_smile:

Cheers guys im guessing that its worth me staying with Suse 10.3 then. Is it worth actually worth installing 10.3 on to this new laptop or wait until 11. I know that with most operating systems you have to wait a few weeks / months before they iron out the bugs. Is that the same with linux?

Like I said I am using 11 right now and seriously I think u should wait 2 days till 11 final cause its awesome, its been super stable for me so far and there r still a few 100 updates for me to apply though so I will tell u how it is after updating :slight_smile:

Great stuff. I will wait 2 days. God it seems like ages for it to be released.

Long live suse.

Also how big is open suse 11? as the EEPC laptop we have bought only has 4gb of hdd space.

NEO-BAHAMUT- wrote:

>
> Cheers guys im guessing that its worth me staying with Suse 10.3 then.
> Is it worth actually worth installing 10.3 on to this new laptop or
> wait until 11. I know that with most operating systems you have to wait
> a few weeks / months before they iron out the bugs. Is that the same
> with linux?
>
>

Depends on the laptop. I bought an HP 530 and put 11.0 on it, thinking it
was a waste of time installing 10.3. As I expected, I had trouble with the
wireless chip - a BCM510. I scrubbed 11.0 and installed 10.3 and, after a
lot of hassle, got the chip working. Thought I’d got it sussed and updated
to 11.0. The wireless connection failed again so now I’m back to 10.3 and
due to have another bash at getting the card installed again.

Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman, not newsboy.
“What use is happiness? It can’t buy you money.” [Chic Murray, 1919-85]

You might be better off with this :smiley:

DSL information

Seriously, i think i have just reached jizzing stage. That is an extremely good OS for 50mb.

Will this do pretty much anything we need to do remotely? can we install the Citrix client on to this??

Kinda funny asking the question in an opensuse
forum but okay…:^)

For me, at this time I’d have to say OpenSuSE.
The reasons are, large community base. Very good
‘fit and finish’. A large number of repositories and
a large, active development team. Basically what I look
for in any open source project. They also are a big
supporter of KDE which is my desktop of choice.

I have no idea.

Maybe oS should offer a openSuSE 11 Lite :slight_smile: for all these new micro gadgets coming out.

My openSUSE 11.0 install is currently at 4.3GB, but that is with KDE4.0, gnome and xfce installed. So the default install of 11.0 should work. Here is a howto: OpenSUSE on the EeePC

Then Ubuntu’s Netbook Remix would be it’s rival :wink:
[Phoronix] Trying Out Ubuntu’s Netbook Remix](http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_netbook_remix&num=1)

Personally I believe the best version of linux so far has been 2.6.24.

I have been running 2.6.25 for a while now but have some stability issues with it that I did not have before.:slight_smile:

stefan

so after looking a little bit closer at DSL i have decided that its not what im looking for. I don’t like its graphical interface (but what else do i expect for 50mb) and i also don’t think its going to be easy for novice users to use.

Would SUSE fit on a 4gb hard drive?

If not what other Os will what will do everythinng i want the laptop to do.

Thanks.

OpenSUSE, like a lot of distros, can be customised at install time. So even with the EEEPC you can make it small.

However, you could get an external HDD (maxtor have a 160GB driver for around £45 in Maplins, and it’s very fast and requires no external power. Works great on our EEEPC).

Then you can have lot’s of OS’s etc.

Good luck with the EEEPC, I’m going to get an MSI Wind soon :slight_smile:

James

It should, though I recommend uninstalling all the software you don’t plan to use afterward, and use a external hdd for your files