Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrambled screen after installing nvidia drivers opensuse 11

Default Scrambled screen after installing nvidia drivers opensuse 11

Hi guys, my first post here so bare with me, but im getting desperate!

I am trying to get nvidia drivers working under opensuse 11 RC1, but i cannot seem to get them to work. I can install them fine, but after rebooting or running sax2 to see if they're running properly, my screen is weirdly scrambled and im stumped as to why.
    I have tried to use older drivers, but none seem to work (older ones i have to apply the patch too so that they compile).
    To show you what i mean, here is a picture of my login screen. And after logging in (blindly) here is the desktop i get.
    I am using a GeForce 6200 if that helps at all, and i had the same problem when running 10.3 with the same setup, except running 'sax2 -l' fixed that problem. Ive tried the -l switch on all the drivers i have tried on opensuse 11, but nothing has worked.
    Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Scrambled screen after installing nvidia drivers opensus

Hi try my guide at the following:
    nvidia drivers for opensuse 11.0 - Page 2 - openSUSE Forums

I'm sure your card doesn't need a legacy driver.

Let me know if that works.

James
    www.worm.me.uk | james at worm dot me dot uk

No luck =\
    That is almost step-for-step what i did to install each driver anyway, but i tried it again and i still get the same thing.

I've kept searching around and can't find anything that helps.. Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas to get it working? ;-; I cant really do much without drivers

What does the sax -i command on 10.3 do?

-- Forget that, it initialises the graphics or something??

The photo's you post look like some kind of scrambled video memory. I wonder if video memory is handled differently with the default driver.

Can you check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, look under device, and see what it says for driver. I assume it says nv.

James

sax2 -L sets a low resolution. For some reason it didn't work on 1280x1024, but did any other res.
    And yeah, its on "nv" at the moment. If i set it to Nvidia, i get the scrambled screen, but on nv it works (nv is the driver used when opensuse is installed i think?).

The no acceleration-at-all-2d-only open-source driver, yeah, that's nv
    "If it ain't broke, find something wrong with it"

Haha, Yeah. And its getting really annoying to use. Why the hell won't the drivers that work for everyone else not work? Im sure it's not a stupid mistake by me.. Maybe.

There is a possibility that the graphics card could be faulty. But lets try some other options before we go that far!

I'm going to have a think for you and consult a few of my linux guru's from other distros, and see what they think.

Be back shortly,

James

Oh ok thank you for your help. Though its not a faulty graphics card as far as i can tell, as it works fine on winblose, on opensuse 11 with nv or vesa, and on opensuse 10.3 with nv, vesa and nvidia drivers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast