Thread: can i install opensuse without formatting the "/" partition

cies NNTP User

Default can i install opensuse without formatting the "/" partition

hi!

i have a laptop in which i dont have a separate /home dir, now i dont have a place to backup my /home data at the moment and i want to try opensuse 11 when it is released.

so i hope that i can install opensuse from the live cd, by:
    - first mounting my "/" partition when running the live cd
    - then removing everything except my /home dir
    - rename my home dir so it is not in the way during the install process
    - installing opensuse 11 without formatting the "/" partition

is that possible?
    thanks!
    _c.

Default Re: can i install opensuse without formatting the "/" partit

It is, in the partitioner you can choose not to format / - you just have to choose custom partitioning during the installation.

be careful, i have a lot of problems with "don't format root"
    and u have to have some /home partition during installation, or u gonna have again /home on root - backup is important doing partition experiment

Quote Originally Posted by cies View Post
    so i hope that i can install opensuse from the live cd, by:
    - first mounting my "/" partition when running the live cd
    - then removing everything except my /home dir
    - rename my home dir so it is not in the way during the install process
    - installing opensuse 11 without formatting the "/" partition
    You could also do first and second steps and then resize the partition. Afterwards install 11 and mount (not format) /home in that resized partition.
    You'd end up having two different partitions for / and /home.
    Keep in mind resizing/moving partitions always implies a risk, even if small.
    It is abhorrent the spiritual greed of those that knowing something, do not seek the transfer of such knowledge.

Miguel de Unamuno - Writer (1864-1936)

You can install one version over another without formatting, but you should expect seemingly random and unexpected behaviour from file remnamts. It's best to backup important files and make a clean install.

However, with regard to /home, since it's in a seperate partition, during installation you may select it as the location for /home (do not format) and use the same user name. Nothing will change in that partition. Only reformat the / (root partition).

Or, during installation, don't even select the /home partition for any use; pretend it isn't there. Install the systen in / (root partition). Create your user (use the same user name as in your current /home).

After installation, and before re-boot, edit /etc/fstab to add your /home partition to fstab then mount it. Reboot and all of your files should still be there.

You will have the new /home/<username> folder in /home (hidden under your mounted /home partition) which will hurt nothing. If it bothers you that it's there, then boot a liveCD and mount the root partition. Delete that unwanted /home/<username> folder (leave /home empty - but leave /home in place. It's the mount point for your home partition).
    Registered Linux User # 170078

cies NNTP User

Default thanks!

thanks for all the quick replies...

first: if i had a backup location, i'dn't have started this thread (i have a backup, obviously, just not with me -- i'm traveling)
    second: my "/home" lives on partition mounted as "/" -- this because i want to use all the limited space on my laptop.

then to bigrigdriver: you seem to answer my question by saying; yes it is possible but you should "expect seemingly random and unexpected behaviour from file remnamts"
    -- hmmm... im interested in what you call file 'remnamts', i dont really get it, yet i have decided not to reinstall until i find some backup space.

thanks!

Good decision right now. Btw you didn't bring a phone or a
    camera on your journey? They mostly work excellent as usb-
    memories, all you'll need will be an empty memory card.

cies NNTP User

yeah i bring some, but i also bring 40gb of data (mainly music).. no other memory that size on me

Try opening the suse partitioner, then shrink /, and make another, mount it to is (eg) /futurehome

After a reboot, simply run
    Code:
    su
    rsync -vua /home /futurehome
    and everything should be backed up with proper permissions and symlinks still working
    "If it ain't broke, find something wrong with it"