Thread: Alsa broken in 11RC1

Allan NNTP User

Default Alsa broken in 11RC1

The built-in sound card on my Asus P5B system will not work under Alsa in
    RC1. The problem lies not in the card but in Alsa as it does work under
    OSS.

Allan

Default Re: Alsa broken in 11RC1

The built-in sound on my Abit IP35 is working fine - however, my USB audio (M-Audio Mobile Pre) is broken and I should probably start a thread on that....
    Desktop: Core 2 Quad, Abit IP35, 4GB DDR2, 1x WD SATA 150gb (hd0, OpenSUSE 11.0 x64), 1x WD SATA 500gb (hd1, Windows XP Pro SP3), NVidia 8800GT, M-Audio Audiophile 192 Laptop: Inspiron 9400 (Windows XP Pro SP3)

Try to remove this package
    Code:
    alsa-plugins-pulse
    I had a sound problems withe some apps, and after many testing and remove some packages, finally I find the problem is with alsa-plugins-pulse, after I removing it everything works fine.

PS: Is there any chance to make opensuse 11.0 works with esound? because I feel confuse with PulseAduio!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    The built-in sound card on my Asus P5B system will not work under Alsa in RC1.
    I've read of a number of cases where users have had some difficulty with their sound in RC1. Often it is a misconfiguration of pulseaudio.

For example:
    Quote Originally Posted by 74141 View Post
    Try to remove this package
    Code:
    alsa-plugins-pulse
    I had a sound problems withe some apps, and after many testing and remove some packages, finally I find the problem is with alsa-plugins-pulse, after I removing it everything works fine.
    Before removing pulse audio, you could try the suggestions from this post:
    openSUSE Forums - View Single Post - Amarok won't play songs

Failing that, then maybe remove pulse audio as noted. However pulse audio is likely here to stay in 11.0 and maybe later openSUSE versions, so it would be good for us to learn how to make it work.

PikoPiko NNTP User

I had the same problem with my Sound Blaster Live! 24Bit

Removing the package "alsa-plugins-pulse", and "alsa-plugins-pulse-32bit" fixed the problem for me as well.

I posted a bug report about sound quitting working in opensuse 11rc1 on intel 8x0 chipsets...the "fix" was to either rename the asound-pulse.conf to asound-pulse.conf.save or delete it but I chose to save it.....maybe this would help with other sound issues.

I'd also just like to confirm that with my Audigy 2, I have had problems getting it to work.

I'm hoping that when my zypper dup command finally finishes, and I have the final Suse 11.0 all will be well.

I can confirm that this can be fixed by downloading the development release of alsa, and compiling new kernel modules.

Then everything worked grand. (Although I might have removed some pulse stuff also).

James
    www.worm.me.uk | james at worm dot me dot uk

I didn't remove any package.
    I renamed /etc/asound-pulse.conf to /etc/alsa-pulse.conf and than restarted alsa with "rcalsasound restart".
    It worked for me.

No issues with Audigy 2 Platinum EX - however I do not have PulseAudio installed at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jameswalmsley View Post
    I'd also just like to confirm that with my Audigy 2, I have had problems getting it to work.
    Reference the Audigy 2, I noted a number of users had their mixer setup wrong, which was muting their sound. The mixer setting problem that stumped many was they needed to activate the "Digital/Analog Output button", as this appears to be set to "OFF" by default? < not sure >

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast