Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: BOINC

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Serbia/Belgrade
    Posts
    12

    Default BOINC

    I want to install BOINC application. I downloaded BOINC for Linux, but open SuSE is not supported. However, I heard that program alian can transform .deb to .rpm but this file is .sh extension. How to inastall it?

    Plz help....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    U.K East Anglia
    Posts
    2,581

    Default Re: BOINC

    open a console, cd to where you saved the file. once there, issue the command

    sh boincsoftware.sh ( replace boincsoftware with the actual file name ) & press enter. it should then install. FYI i also run BOINC software

    Andy
    To be is to do = Immanuel Kant
    To do is to be = Descartes.
    Do be do be do = Frank Sinatra

    SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994

  3. #3
    ab@novell.com NNTP User

    Default Re: BOINC

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    ..sh is just a shell script. Have you tried just running it?

    Good luck.





    helen1 wrote:
    | I want to install BOINC application. I downloaded BOINC for Linux, but
    | open SuSE is not supported. However, I heard that program alian can
    | transform .deb to .rpm but this file is .sh extension. How to inastall
    | it?
    |
    | Plz help....
    |
    |
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iD8DBQFIUoqB3s42bA80+9kRAjZtAJ4njKSvgnnL0Afj9VI+5ajow0kcLgCeKTl7
    D8Urs4PTzlg/rW7GAIzD1xA=
    =wOC6
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Serbia/Belgrade
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: BOINC

    Thank you. This helped. Now to contribue to some project....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    U.K East Anglia
    Posts
    2,581

    Default Re: BOINC

    Cool, glad you got it sorted, go contribute Don't forget to sign up for your account manager BOINCstats - BOINC Statistics / BAM! - BOINC Account Manager

    Andy
    To be is to do = Immanuel Kant
    To do is to be = Descartes.
    Do be do be do = Frank Sinatra

    SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994

  6. #6

    Question Re: BOINC

    I'm a complete NOOB, and I'm trying to install the Linux version of BOINC (ver 6.2.15) into my OpenSuse 11 operating system.

    The gedit reports it cannot open the shell, I'm trying to follow the instructions on how to install and operate "Alien", but I don't even know how to open a console!

    Can someone do a step-by-step? I'm really new to this, but I really want to contribute to BOINC!

    Thanks in Advance

    sosmad

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    25,920
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: BOINC

    Quote Originally Posted by sosmad
    I'm a complete NOOB, and I'm trying to install the Linux version of
    BOINC (ver 6.2.15) into my OpenSuse 11 operating system.

    The gedit reports it cannot open the shell, I'm trying to follow the
    instructions on how to install and operate "Alien", but I don't even
    know how to open a console!

    Can someone do a step-by-step? I'm really new to this, but I really
    want to contribute to BOINC!

    Thanks in Advance

    sosmad
    Hi
    Some users have built the rpm (and they are later versions), have a
    search here on boinc;
    Get It

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
    up 12:32, 1 user, load average: 0.13, 0.10, 0.05
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.82


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    25,920
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: BOINC

    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm
    Quote Originally Posted by sosmad
    I'm a complete NOOB, and I'm trying to install the Linux version of
    BOINC (ver 6.2.15) into my OpenSuse 11 operating system.

    The gedit reports it cannot open the shell, I'm trying to follow the
    instructions on how to install and operate "Alien", but I don't even
    know how to open a console!

    Can someone do a step-by-step? I'm really new to this, but I really
    want to contribute to BOINC!

    Thanks in Advance

    sosmad
    Hi
    Some users have built the rpm (and they are later versions), have a
    search here on boinc;
    Get It
    Hi
    Just had a look at the webpage it's an sh (shell file), you need to
    save it to your home directory, then open a console/konsole then run;
    Code:
    sh boinc_6.2.15_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh
    It will create a BOINC directory where you need to run;
    Code:
    ../run_manager
    or
    ~/BOINC/run_manager
    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
    up 12:36, 1 user, load average: 2.21, 0.86, 0.33
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.82


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,096

    Default Re: BOINC

    This is a big pain. I am running 11.0 and kde4 and have to start BOINC with Alt+F2. Can't I create a shortcut on my desktop to start this with 1-click?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    25,920
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: BOINC

    Quote Originally Posted by Prexy
    This is a big pain. I am running 11.0 and kde4 and have to start BOINC
    with Alt+F2. Can't I create a shortcut on my desktop to start this with
    1-click?
    Hi
    Sure you can, just create a launcher pointing to the install location
    eg;
    Code:
    ~/BOINC/run_manager
    or
    /home/<yourusername>/BOINC/run_manager
    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
    up 12:57, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.40, 0.47
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.82


Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •