Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting DWL-G510 To Work?

Default Getting DWL-G510 To Work?

Hi there.
    I currently have OpenSUSE 10.3 installed (might upgrade to the 11 RC tomorrow, as long as it doesn't effect this), and I'd like to know how to get my wireless card working.
    I've done some googling, some searching, and haven't found anything to work for me, so I have to come onto my windows partition to browse the internet for now (although it's only meant for games... this is killing me a bit).

My wireless card is a D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510 Wireless PCI Adapter.

Any help? Thanks =]
    I'm really looking forward to getting more into openSUSE. Seems like a great distro. But this obviously must be handled first.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Getting DWL-G510 To Work?

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 02:16:03 GMT
    Condawg <Condawg@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
    > Hi there.
    > I currently have OpenSUSE 10.3 installed (might upgrade to the 11 RC
    > tomorrow, as long as it doesn't effect this), and I'd like to know how
    > to get my wireless card working.
    > I've done some googling, some searching, and haven't found anything to
    > work for me, so I have to come onto my windows partition to browse the
    > internet for now (although it's only meant for games... this is
    > killing me a bit).
    >
    > My wireless card is a D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510 Wireless PCI Adapter.
    >
    > Any help? Thanks =]
    > I'm really looking forward to getting more into openSUSE. Seems like a
    > great distro. But this obviously must be handled first.
    >
    >

Hi
    Have a look here;
    http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Network_A...%28Wireless%29

--
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP2 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.23-smp
    up 1 day 23:14, 1 user, load average: 1.44, 0.88, 0.69

Blog Entries

sorry, rubbish here, I deleted it as bad advice
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Blog Entries

I guess I should make new post, not edit old one because of NNTP.
    So:
    Looks like madwifi is a very good bet, see here:
    http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility/D-Link#DWL-G510

@malcolmlewis
    Thanks for the link, but that just seems to give me information, no actual help.

@swerdna
    That Madwifi site hasn't been working for me :/
    I tried it earlier, too, before you posted it (at the homepage of course, but still), and I couldn't get the site to work.
    So I downloaded MadWifi off of Sourceforge, put it on my external, went to my Linux partition, and it wouldn't install (the make command wouldn't work... I'm still pretty novice at compiling stuff, but I did what it said to do in the readme).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Condawg View Post
    I tried it earlier, too, before you posted it (at the homepage of course, but still), and I couldn't get the site to work.
    So I downloaded MadWifi off of Sourceforge, put it on my external, went to my Linux partition, and it wouldn't install (the make command wouldn't work... I'm still pretty novice at compiling stuff, but I did what it said to do in the readme).
    Don't install from sources; it's in the standard repos. Check in Yast --> software managent --> search om madwifi --> tick and install.

Some ppl also add the latest repo to their sources to get the latest madwifi drivers. If you want to do that before you install them then add this link into the "Software Repositories" in Yast. Here's the address if you have 10.3: http://madwifi.org/suse/10.3 You don't have to add the latest; but that's where they are if you want them.

Before you do that is wise to check on the madwifi site that the make model and version number is supported by madwifi
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE

Blog Entries

Don't install from sources; it's in the standard repos. Check in Yast --> software managent --> search om madwifi --> tick and install.

Some ppl also add the latest repo to their sources to get the latest madwifi drivers. If you want to do that before you install them then add this link into the "Software Repositories" in Yast. Here's the address if you have 10.3: http://madwifi.org/suse/10.3 You don't have to add the latest; but that's where they are if you want them.

Before you do that is wise to check on the madwifi site that the make model and version number is supported by madwifi drivers
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE

Blog Entries

The madwifi site is down. I recommend you wait for it to come back up.

I confess, I'm not convinced all DWL-G510's use an atheros. For example, this user installed some sort of realtek firmware:
    Matthias Pospiech Blog Archive D-Link DWL-G510 with OpenSuse 10.2
    ... ie .. I believe there are different versions of the DWL-G510, and you need to determine which one you have.

Hence to confirm that the chipset in your DWL-G510 is indeed an atheros, I recommend you follow Andy's stickie:
    Welcome - openSUSE Forums

ie. please type:
    su #enter root password when promted
    lspci -v
    ... and paste the section of the output (here) that refers specifically to your wireless device.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    The madwifi site is down. I recommend you wait for it to come back up.

I confess, I'm not convinced all DWL-G510's use an atheros. For example, this user installed some sort of realtek firmware:
    Matthias Pospiech Blog Archive D-Link DWL-G510 with OpenSuse 10.2
    ... ie .. I believe there are different versions of the DWL-G510, and you need to determine which one you have.

Hence to confirm that the chipset in your DWL-G510 is indeed an atheros, I recommend you follow Andy's stickie:
    Welcome - openSUSE Forums

ie. please type:
    su #enter root password when promted
    lspci -v
    ... and paste the section of the output (here) that refers specifically to your wireless device.
    Ah, ****. Sorry. Missed that thread. Here ya go --

02:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR2413 802.11bg NIC (rev 01)
    Subsystem: D-Link System Inc D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510 Wireless PCI Adapter(rev.B)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
    Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
    Thanks =]

So, wait -- This just hit me.
    If the system recognizes the card like that.. It can list information on it as such... Why doesn't it work?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast