Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: monopoly vs. standardization

Default Re: monopoly vs. standardization

Interesting.

Basically, it sounds like there will be only a single company left after this: either both combines, or 1 fails. And it's not like a small business can send a satellite into the stratosphere and bring in competition. Would be funny though, "The federal government has decided to regulate the merger by selling satellites. The starting price is $5.o million."

(PS: 40-60 miles might require about 3-4 more hours of commuting. But, imagine the muscle size after 80 and 120 miles of daily biking! )

Folding@Home
    Help save lives with Folding@Home

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen-Ghost View Post
    (PS: 40-60 miles might require about 3-4 more hours of commuting. But, imagine the muscle size after 80 and 120 miles of daily biking! )
    Indeed. However, I don't think that I would be able to say to my employer with any honesty, "I'll be back." after that kind of communte!

ntime60 NNTP User

Standardization is always better than a monopoly.

Look at the US as an example. M$ pays new countries to represent M$ in support of ooxml, effectively bypassing the international standards body.

The Sirius XM merger would not create a monopoly, yes it would be in the sense of the single satellite provider, but not in the sense of listening to entertainment in your car or home, there are other competing technologies still, free radio, CD, Audio device...In this case a single company providing satellite service has plenty of competition and as a satellite user, I am willing to pay for no commercials.

With M$ stiffling competition and doing what ever it takes to kill percieved threats is just wrong. Competition is healthy and good when it comes to technology. Look I.E. would not have evolved if not for Netscape or Firefox. Adhering to W3C standards just makes it better for you and I.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12