Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What must you always install...?

Default What must you always install...?

So as a new user on Suse im still wondering what applications / programs and other neat things i am to install.

So far i have only installed
    - Java
    - Freezewire (i think its called)
    - Wine
    - and im currently in the middle of installing Compiz Fusion as it looks cool from what ive seen of it.

What must you always install before you are happy with it? Can you tell us the names and what each application does so others know.

Should be a good thread.

Default Re: What must you always install...?

I agree with most of the recommendations at this link.
    What Software Should I Use?

Blog Entries

Surely that depends on what you want to do with your computer. If you know what you want, then you can go look for the software to do it.

I would always want a web browser, a mail client, a photo album manager, and a music player. And being a developer, I want to be able to install any package I need. SUSE has always had a good choice and is getting better with more repositories.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    Surely that depends on what you want to do with your computer.
    I agree with Ken_Yap here. But in my case, I have a heavy bias toward multimedia apps on my PC, mainly because that is where my interests currently exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by harryc56 View Post
    I agree with most of the recommendations at this link.What Software Should I Use?
    Thats a neat link! I was not aware of all the FTP clients mentioned, and that has me thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    I would always want a web browser, a mail client, a photo album manager, and a music player.
    Agree with all of that.

My browser of choise (firefox), konqueror (file manager/browser), java (by default, I think), and part of the office apps I like (open office) comes with the basic DVD install.

Plus in my case I add:
    * gcc, gcc++, gcc42, gcc42++ (or is it 43 ? I'm not at a Linux PC now), plus many other "dev" apps so I can custom compile stuff.
    * smart/smart-gui
    * chess stuff: scid, xboard, and chess engines - gnuchess, phalanx, custom compiled crafty, and 'spike' free-proprietary chess engine
    * photo album manager (gphoto, digikam, and gwenview)
    * music player (packman packaged amarok, libxine1, mad, & assorted dependencies)
    * video player (packman packaged xine-ui, smplayer/mplayer, vlc, flash-player plus assorted codecs - w32codec-all, xvid, etc ....)
    * Image Manipulation - gimp
    * chat program - xchat, kopete
    * mail client - thunderbird (I recently moved to this from evolution)
    * remote access (x11vnc, tightvnc, nx)
    * FTP clients - gftp (but after harryc's link, I am now considering kbear/kasablanca)
    * DVD-backup/authoring/Movie editor stuff (Packman packaged dvbcut, tovid, avidemux, kdenlive, k9copy, dvdauthor, xvidenc).
    * misc: leafpad (a text editor), acroread (pdf reader), wine, autostitch (ms-windows program run under wine), some firefox plugins (download-helper, mplayerplug-in), virtual-box (to run winXP in a virtual session).
    * drivers (madwifi - for my wife's PC's wireless).

The above results in a LOT of various dependencies being installed

as others will say the multimedia codecs, ability to play DVDs.

If you're in to chess engines, then Stockfish should be mentioned. It's open source and even stronger than the commercial Rybka engine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brist View Post
    If you're in to chess engines, then Stockfish should be mentioned. It's open source and even stronger than the commercial Rybka engine.
    Another strong chess engine packaged for openSUSE is RobboLito.

We are fortunate on openSUSE that one of the Packman packagers has packaged many chess programs for openSUSE.

I helped support the update of an openSUSE chess wiki for a while, but after the wiki format change, I merely made a backup under my handle, and neither myself nor anyone else has got around to moving the chess wiki to the new wiki format. This needs to be done sometime.

I have a whole A4 cheat sheet of applications I always install. I update it every time I find a useful application. Without it, I simply wouldn't remember what I had installed before.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15 | KDE 5 | Intel i-7500 | Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING | Asus EX-GTX1050TI-O4G nVidia
    Laptop Asus UL30A: openSUSE Leap 15 | KDE 5 | Intel SU7300

-If you are going to install a Lot of apps... a huge(r) home partition. What size? Well, that would depend on a lot of things.... but > 10 G IMO. Probably a larger root partition as well.
    -It's probably obvious, and goes without saying, but at least one more browser app.
    -I like to 'text out' man pages by invoking: "man cmd > cmd.txt", and saving the helps in one folder: mndmnls (manned manuals).
    My mission to politely ask all bike riders with loud exhausts to make their bikes quieter. Should be easy.

On 04/18/2011 06:36 AM, danperecky wrote:
    >
    > -I like to 'text out' man pages by invoking: "man cmd> cmd.txt", and
    > saving the helps in one folder: mndmnls (manned manuals).

just my opinion, but why use the space since they already exist on your
    machine?

so, try this trick--in the location bar of Konqueror type and enter

Code:
    #man
    and up will pop the manual for the manual (man man), in nice clear text
    (that you can make bigger with Ctrl+, or smaller with Ctrl-) and hot
    links to other manuals mentioned in man), and bold fonts...

so, if you wanna check the man on (say) mount just type

Code:
    #mount
    imo you will get a more readable verions of the man, *and* don't use up
    more drive space....enjoy.

--
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [openSUSE 11.3 + KDE4.5.5 + Thunderbird3.1.8 via NNTP]
    A Penguin Being Tickled - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GILA0rrR6w

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast