Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Advice for T61 Install?

  1. #1
    Robert Smits NNTP User

    Default Advice for T61 Install?

    My old Compaq has finally bit the dust, so I'm purchasing a new Lenovo T61.

    I've ordered it equipped with 4 GB of memory, and I purchased it because I
    know it'll run Linux.

    I'm planning to remove the Vista Business it comes with and set it up to
    dual boot XP and OpenSuse. Any things I should be concerned about? None of
    the hardware sites seem to have current models covered as to compatibility.

    Thanks, Bob

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: Advice for T61 Install?

    Hi,

    a friend of mine bought a Lenovo T61 and installed opensuse (64bit) and everything works (including the fingerprint reader, but kde/kdm doesn't support a fingerprint reader for auth ). So I think you will not encounter any problems at least with linux/suse.

    The pre installed Vista business edition has so many extra apps installed by lenovo so that it is really a pain to use

    Maybe you should start with the xp install and then install suse as a suggestion, to avoid eventual difficulties.

    hope this helps.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,126

    Default Re: Advice for T61 Install?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Smits View Post
    My old Compaq has finally bit the dust, so I'm purchasing a new Lenovo T61.
    Thanks, Bob
    Have a look @ HCL/Laptops - openSUSE

    If your's is not there, give it an add when you have it setup -- help out the next guy
    Desktop Asus X-99 Viper. uefi & secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1; Laptop: ASUS GL752VW Optimus, uefi+Secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1 & T-weed and IMac

  4. #4
    Robert Smits NNTP User

    Default Re: Advice for T61 Install?

    Monex wrote:

    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > a friend of mine bought a Lenovo T61 and installed opensuse (64bit) and
    > everything works (including the fingerprint reader, but kde/kdm doesn't
    > support a fingerprint reader for auth ). So I think you will not
    > encounter any problems at least with linux/suse.
    >
    > The pre installed Vista business edition has so many extra apps
    > installed by lenovo so that it is really a pain to use
    >
    > Maybe you should start with the xp install and then install suse as a
    > suggestion, to avoid eventual difficulties.
    >
    > hope this helps.
    >
    >



    The first thing I plan to do is back up Vista, then uninstall it. It's the
    last thing I want on any of my equipment. I haven't decided yet whether to
    run it in dual boot with XP or just add VMWare - I've ordered it with 4 GB
    memory so it should work fine either way.

    Thanks, Bob.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,108
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Advice for T61 Install?

    Don't forget to check out our laptop stickie, which has a number of links to laptop sites (including one specifically for IBM/Leveno):
    WELCOME to LAPTOP thead area - openSUSE Forums

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,126

    Default Re: Advice for T61 Install?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Don't forget to check out our laptop stickie, which has a number of links to laptop sites (including one specifically for IBM/Leveno):
    WELCOME to LAPTOP thead area - openSUSE Forums
    Slap me on the head oldcpu, I plum forgot about that one

    Maybe this ole brain will remember next time
    Desktop Asus X-99 Viper. uefi & secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1; Laptop: ASUS GL752VW Optimus, uefi+Secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1 & T-weed and IMac

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Helsinki, EU
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Advice for T61 Install?

    I have openSUSE 10.3 running on a ThinkPad Z61p, which I believe not to be much different from the T61. The only thing that caused problems was the binary blob from AMD/ATI, aka, the 'fglrx' graphics driver, everything else worked right out-of-box (well, the fingerprint reader seems to be detected, but I haven't used it so I'm not sure it actually works).

    All the problems I had vanished as I switched to use the 'radeonhd' driver, the downside of which is that there is no 3d-acceleration yet, but that's a work in progress. My current uptime is 47 days and I suspend this thing every day to take it to work with me, so this seems to be quite stable as well.

    The issue above of course only applies to models with ATI-cards inside them. If you have an Intel one, you shouldn't have any problems as those cards have nice and fully working open source drivers.
    Vesa Muhonen

  8. #8

    Default Re: Advice for T61 Install?

    Check out this review. It's on a T61P, but it would be very similar to your machine except for the GPU -
    thinkpads.com Support Community :: View topic - openSuSE 11.0 review (long)

    I am a mod at that site as well .

  9. #9
    Robert Smist NNTP User

    Default Re: Advice for T61 Install?

    Robert Smits wrote:

    > My old Compaq has finally bit the dust, so I'm purchasing a new Lenovo
    > T61.
    >
    > I've ordered it equipped with 4 GB of memory, and I purchased it because I
    > know it'll run Linux.
    >
    > I'm planning to remove the Vista Business it comes with and set it up to
    > dual boot XP and OpenSuse. Any things I should be concerned about? None of
    > the hardware sites seem to have current models covered as to
    > compatibility.
    >
    > Thanks, Bob


    Well, the new laptop arrived yesterday, and after I gave up on backing up
    the horrible Vista Business software (It was taking more than an hour per
    DVD), I installed XP from the supplied restore disks, since I have
    discovered over the years that Windoze does not play nicely with other
    children in the OS sandbox.(And I have occasional need of some legacy
    software).

    Installing OpenSuSe 10.3 was very straightforward. My nic worked right away,
    as did the video. I had no sound, however. I followed one of the urls given
    earlier
    (http://forums.opensuse.org/hardware/...head-area.html)
    and used the instructions to download the latest stable alsa drivers and
    install them. After rebooting I had sound.

    So far I like the laptop,, except for not having a number keypad - it does
    have a function to turn a section of the keyboard into a numbers pad, but
    it's not the same thing.

    Thanks to all of your help.

    --
    Bob Smits OpenSuSe User

  10. #10
    Will Honea NNTP User

    Default Re: Advice for T61 Install?

    Robert Smist wrote:

    > Robert Smits wrote:
    >
    >> My old Compaq has finally bit the dust, so I'm purchasing a new Lenovo
    >> T61.
    >>
    >> I've ordered it equipped with 4 GB of memory, and I purchased it because
    >> I know it'll run Linux.
    >>
    >> I'm planning to remove the Vista Business it comes with and set it up to
    >> dual boot XP and OpenSuse. Any things I should be concerned about? None
    >> of the hardware sites seem to have current models covered as to
    >> compatibility.
    >>
    >> Thanks, Bob

    >
    > Well, the new laptop arrived yesterday, and after I gave up on backing up
    > the horrible Vista Business software (It was taking more than an hour per
    > DVD), I installed XP from the supplied restore disks, since I have
    > discovered over the years that Windoze does not play nicely with other
    > children in the OS sandbox.(And I have occasional need of some legacy
    > software).
    >
    > Installing OpenSuSe 10.3 was very straightforward. My nic worked right
    > away, as did the video. I had no sound, however. I followed one of the
    > urls given earlier
    >

    (http://forums.opensuse.org/hardware/...head-area.html)
    > and used the instructions to download the latest stable alsa drivers and
    > install them. After rebooting I had sound.
    >
    > So far I like the laptop,, except for not having a number keypad - it does
    > have a function to turn a section of the keyboard into a numbers pad, but
    > it's not the same thing.
    >
    > Thanks to all of your help.


    Even had you the patience to create the backup set, you would likely have
    given up trying to restore it if that became necessary - that ThinkVantage
    system they use is reliable but calling it SLOW is being kind! I used it
    to restore Vista Home on a desktop (AMD 64X2 3600) and it took nearly 4
    hours - time to drink enough beers to forget what you were doing in the
    first place.

    --
    Will Honea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •