Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Blackberry and Kontact

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    526

    Default Blackberry and Kontact

    I will be migrating my mother to Linux finally. She has an at home business, and her PIM data is crucial. However, she is separately maintaining info in her Yahoo account, proprietary Windows apps, and her Blackberry.

    I'm moving her over to Kontact (her address book mostly imported in, save for a few fields, except it is thousands of entries!). Next I need to get with her and find a way to sync her Blackberry, which I've never attempted in Linux/KDE.

    What apps do I need? Can I sync the Blackberry directly with her info from Kontact?

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Blackberry and Kontact

    Quote Originally Posted by enderandrew View Post

    I'm moving her over to Kontact (her address book mostly imported in, save for a few fields, except it is thousands of entries!). Next I need to get with her and find a way to sync her Blackberry, which I've never attempted in Linux/KDE.

    What apps do I need? Can I sync the Blackberry directly with her info from Kontact?

    Thanks!
    found this : synchronizing-a-blackberry-in-linux/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    526

    Default Re: Blackberry and Kontact

    I should mention that I never really got to try out that article.

    The article is aimed at Ubuntu it seems. The Barry project supposedly will allow backing up your Blackberry, syncing with your favorite programs, etc. However the only openSUSE packages are for openSUSE 10, and those packages don't work in openSUSE 11. They claim libraries like libusb and libtar are missing, even if they are installed because they are looking for different versions.

    I tried downloading the barry code and compiling it myself, but I can't even get ./configure to work, since it still complains that libusb is missing, when it is installed.

    Does anyone know of a good way to make a Blackberry work in openSUSE 11, or can they help make Barry packages for openSUSE 11?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,670
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Blackberry and Kontact

    Quote Originally Posted by enderandrew
    I should mention that I never really got to try out that article.

    The article is aimed at Ubuntu it seems. The Barry project supposedly
    will allow backing up your Blackberry, syncing with your favorite
    programs, etc. However the only openSUSE packages are for openSUSE 10,
    and those packages don't work in openSUSE 11. They claim libraries like
    libusb and libtar are missing, even if they are installed because they
    are looking for different versions.

    I tried downloading the barry code and compiling it myself, but I can't
    even get ./configure to work, since it still complains that libusb is
    missing, when it is installed.

    Does anyone know of a good way to make a Blackberry work in openSUSE
    11, or can they help make Barry packages for openSUSE 11?
    Hi
    Generally, when compiling and it is missing something, it will be
    the devel version if it's not installed. Assuming you have the normal
    C/C++ tools pattern installed.

    This builds version 0.13 OK on openSUSE 11.0. You need to install boost,
    boost-devel and libusb-devel. Watch out for wordwrap on the cvs command.

    Code:
    1. cd ~
    2. mkdir build
    3. cd build
    4. cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@barry.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/barry
    co -P barry cd barry
    5. sh buildgen.sh
    6. ./configure --prefix=/usr
    7. make
    8. sudo make install
    I have a blackberry here, but am working on getting XmBlackberry to
    work as then I can use it tethered.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10 SP2 i586 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.27-default
    up 9:32, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.11, 0.09
    GPU GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE Version: 173.14.12


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,670
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Blackberry and Kontact

    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm
    Quote Originally Posted by enderandrew
    I should mention that I never really got to try out that article.

    The article is aimed at Ubuntu it seems. The Barry project supposedly
    will allow backing up your Blackberry, syncing with your favorite
    programs, etc. However the only openSUSE packages are for openSUSE 10,
    and those packages don't work in openSUSE 11. They claim libraries like
    libusb and libtar are missing, even if they are installed because they
    are looking for different versions.

    I tried downloading the barry code and compiling it myself, but I can't
    even get ./configure to work, since it still complains that libusb is
    missing, when it is installed.

    Does anyone know of a good way to make a Blackberry work in openSUSE
    11, or can they help make Barry packages for openSUSE 11?
    Hi
    Generally, when compiling and it is missing something, it will be
    the devel version if it's not installed. Assuming you have the normal
    C/C++ tools pattern installed.

    This builds version 0.13 OK on openSUSE 11.0. You need to install boost,
    boost-devel and libusb-devel. Watch out for wordwrap on the cvs command.

    Code:
    1. cd ~
    2. mkdir build
    3. cd build
    4. cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@barry.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/barry
    co -P barry cd barry
    5. sh buildgen.sh
    6. ./configure --prefix=/usr
    7. make
    8. sudo make install
    I have a blackberry here, but am working on getting XmBlackberry to
    work as then I can use it tethered.
    Oops, line 6 should be, just noticed when looked at btool --help,
    there was no boost;

    Code:
    6. ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-boost=/usr/lib
    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10 SP2 i586 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.27-default
    up 10:34, 1 user, load average: 0.10, 0.19, 0.24
    GPU GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE Version: 173.14.12


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,670
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Blackberry and Kontact

    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm
    Quote Originally Posted by enderandrew
    I should mention that I never really got to try out that article.

    The article is aimed at Ubuntu it seems. The Barry project supposedly
    will allow backing up your Blackberry, syncing with your favorite
    programs, etc. However the only openSUSE packages are for openSUSE 10,
    and those packages don't work in openSUSE 11. They claim libraries like
    libusb and libtar are missing, even if they are installed because they
    are looking for different versions.

    I tried downloading the barry code and compiling it myself, but I can't
    even get ./configure to work, since it still complains that libusb is
    missing, when it is installed.

    Does anyone know of a good way to make a Blackberry work in openSUSE
    11, or can they help make Barry packages for openSUSE 11?
    Hi
    Generally, when compiling and it is missing something, it will be
    the devel version if it's not installed. Assuming you have the normal
    C/C++ tools pattern installed.

    This builds version 0.13 OK on openSUSE 11.0. You need to install boost,
    boost-devel and libusb-devel. Watch out for wordwrap on the cvs command.

    Code:
    1. cd ~
    2. mkdir build
    3. cd build
    4. cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@barry.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/barry
    co -P barry cd barry
    5. sh buildgen.sh
    6. ./configure --prefix=/usr
    7. make
    8. sudo make install
    I have a blackberry here, but am working on getting XmBlackberry to
    work as then I can use it tethered.
    Oops, line 6 should be, just noticed when looked at btool --help,
    there was no boost;

    Code:
    6. ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-boost=/usr/lib
    Yet another update, libtar for 11 is in the packman repo and to build
    the GUI, add --enable-gui to line 6. Note there are quite a few extra
    devel libraries to add. Suggest you leave YaST running (when it asks
    abount installing more rpms) and say 'Yes'.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10 SP2 i586 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.27-default
    up 11:20, 1 user, load average: 0.51, 0.29, 0.14
    GPU GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE Version: 173.14.12


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    526

    Default Re: Blackberry and Kontact

    I'll have to try that next time I'm over at my mom's house. Thanks!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Blackberry and Kontact

    This isn't ideal, but after spending a couple of fruitless weeks trying to sync up my moto q 9c directly to any app in opensuse, I gave up and now sync it through Google. I have a free app on my phone called Oggsync, and there is a free app that I installed to sync Kontact w/Google (GCalDaemon, I think?), and now I have my calendar in three places.

    It's not really that bad--my wife can access my calendar from her work to see when my classes/meetings/whatever are.

    I know this still doesn't address the contacts portion, and it might not work on your Blackberry, but I thought I would throw it out there to get you thinking "outside the box" in case a more traditional approach does not work.

    I have come to love Google for much more than search.

    Maybe you can work something similar if needed.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Blackberry and Kontact

    Just out of curiosity (and cause I know a couple of blackberry users), I searched a little, and found out it appears that google has some client software that integrates into the blackberry's calendar, and syncs to google's calendar for you. Coupled with the software I mentioned for contact (the daemon that runs in the background, also good for evolution, I believe), your solution is here (unless you have another solution already).

    Google Mobile - Sync

    Good luck!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,670
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Blackberry and Kontact

    Quote Originally Posted by wnj92996
    Just out of curiosity (and cause I know a couple of blackberry users), I
    searched a little, and found out it appears that google has some client
    software that integrates into the blackberry's calendar, and syncs to
    google's calendar for you. Coupled with the software I mentioned for
    contact (the daemon that runs in the background, also good for
    evolution, I believe), your solution is here (unless you have another
    solution already).

    'Google Mobile - Sync'
    (http://www.google.com/mobile/blackberry/sync/index.html)

    Good luck!
    Hi
    Thanks for the link, looks good. But (always a but there ) I'm also
    using it for tethering, so will keep playing with barry, xmblackberry,
    bluetooth etc. Only got bluetooth to work with the default kernel so
    far, but that kills the sound, so a bit more work for me on this
    machine

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10 SP2 i586 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.27-default
    up 1:18, 1 user, load average: 0.23, 0.20, 0.19
    GPU GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE Version: 173.14.12


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •