Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amarok won't play songs

Default Amarok won't play songs

I've been having some intermittent problems with Amarok. When I select an album to play, Amarok flys through all the songs on the album without playing them. The message "Playlist finished" appears and at the bottom of the window it says, "Could not get/set settings from/on resource". This is when I use the Yauap engine.

If I use the xine engine, the same thing happens but the message at the bottom of the screen is different. It now gives me "Audio output unavailable, the device is busy. xine parameters:".

It doesn't do this all the time. I'm running version 1.4.9.1 on 11RC1. Anyone have any ideas what could be going on here? I'd really like to get this going. I miss my Amarok

I also have Rhythmbox installed and that seems to work ok.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Amarok won't play songs

Could you tell us a bit more about which versions of amarok and xine you have installed?

Please, type the following in an xterm/terminal/konsole (what ever you use) and copy and paste to here the output:

rpm -qa grep | xine
    rpm -qa grep | amarok
    rpm -q mad

I want to see if you used the Novell/openSUSE packaged versions of these apps (which are crippled for most proprietary multimedia), or if you are using packman or videolan packaged versions.

Yauap engine is working with gstreamer if I'm not mistaken which has mp3 support natively through fluendo iirc.

It is more likely to be related to porting of amarok to kde4. I know when I was trying amarok was constantly coming up as problem software, and was added at a later date.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Could you tell us a bit more about which versions of amarok and xine you have installed?

Please, type the following in an xterm/terminal/konsole (what ever you use) and copy and paste to here the output:

rpm -qa grep | xine
    rpm -qa grep | amarok
    rpm -q mad

I want to see if you used the Novell/openSUSE packaged versions of these apps (which are crippled for most proprietary multimedia), or if you are using packman or videolan packaged versions.
    When I try:
    rpm -qa grep | xine - I get

Code:
    bash: xine: command not found
    with rpm -qa grep | amarok it launches the program. I'm not sure if that's what you wanted or not. But one thing it did show me is the following messages when I try to play some songs.

Code:
    gumper@linux-4ezw:~> *** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to create stream.
    QString::arg(): Argument missing: <p>Audio output unavailable; the device is busy.<p>xine parameters: <i></i>, file:///home/gumper/Music/Casting Crowns - The Altar and The Door/01 - What This World Needs.ogg
    *** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to create stream.
    Maybe it's something related to Pulseaudio. I think I'll remove the packages for it and install Esound to see if that helps.

With rpm q mad I get

Code:
    package mad is not installed
    In my original message I said that Rhythmbox was working fine. That's incorrect. It doesn't zip through the playlist like Amarok, but I can't get it to play any sound. My sound is working cause I get the noises when I minimize windows.

Thanks for the help.

m4r3k NNTP User

It is because that command are wrong. That pipe is on bad position. It should be

rpm -qa | grep xine
    rpm -qa | grep amarok
    rpm -q mad

But, have you Packman added? There are packages with multimedia support. I have 11.0 and packages forom packman and it works for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gumper View Post
    When I try:
    rpm -qa grep | xine - I get ...
    m4r3k is correct. My apologies, as I typed those commands in a hurry when tired. Please try again, with his correction:
    rpm -qa | grep xine
    rpm -qa | grep amarok
    rpm -q mad

alternatively, for the first two commands, you could type:
    rpm -qa '*xine*'
    rpm -qa '*amarok*'

I didn't type that originally, as I was afraid the single quotation before/after the asterix would be hard to see.

You are using 11.0 RC1 which have an issue with pulseaudio. I will see if i can find the solution in the factory mailinglist.

You can just use 1-click-install to get all of the necessary codecs in openSUSE 11.0. See the restricted formats page, as linked to above: Restricted Formats/11.0 - openSUSE-Community

Try pulseaudio -D on the konsole.

If that does not help try to comment out the following line:

/etc/asound‑pulse.conf from the file /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf

then it should work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast