Installing Limewire and Java problems

Hi again

I have installed Limewire via WINE and everything went fine. I installed Java from their site and followed there installation instructions and success. I have java installed.

BUT!!!

When ever i click on limewire to fire it up i get a message saying i need to install Java before i can use limewire. Is there something else that im missing in order for this to work???

Please help :slight_smile:

Thanks.

Why not run frostwire??? Frostwire Itā€™s Limewire pro but free.

Is it much easier to use??? The reason why i use limewire pro at the moment is because its a erm coughcrackcough copy.Is it much easier to install then?

Also how do i go about uninstalling Limewire now then?

Ive worked out how to uninstall Limewire now.

Problems solvedddddā€¦ Thanks mate. Frostwire is excellent. Exactly the same as limewire but free and better woop.

Glad I could help.

Iā€™m curious ā€“ why not just install the Linux RPM instead of WINE for Limewire?

Well to be honest with you i have only been on linux for about a week now and from when i read on the old forum there was a guy on there asking about it and someone told him to install it through WINE so i went along with it. As it happens though i never got it to work as it somehow couldnā€™t see that java was installed and never got around to seeing why that was. Frostwire is a quality little program though and im most pleased with it.

Im still having trouble with amule though now. I download from a website sharethefiles.com :: Index. If you take a look on there you can download stuff such as isoā€™s and other items. When ever i used to click on one of the links though it used to just sync with emule straight away and start downloading (that was in windows) but now when i click on it it says ā€œfirefox doesnt know how to open this address, because the protocol (ed2k) isnā€™t associated with any programā€. Im not entirely sure how to make this work as of yet.

Just a quick suggestion for the site. Maybe we can have a section on the forum where people can put tutorials with screen shots for how to install different packages. Then show how to configure them properly etc.

Just a thought.

Thereā€™s the wiki at opensuse.org, where youā€™re very welcome to post HowTo stuff. Here on openSUSE Forums thereā€™s two options:
HowTo/FAQ forum
and Programming/Scripting forum. Those forums donā€™t allow on-site screenshots but you can use the off-site hosts for that and use the ā€œInsert Imageā€ icon at the top of your editor to get it to display in your HowTo.

For example hereā€™s an off site image: http://www.swerdna.net.au/forumpics/beer.gif

Iā€™d go with Shareaza via WINE:

Shareaza - Bringing P2P Together

Or mlDonkey which runs natively on Linux.

Main Page - MLDonkey

Both are far better than Limewire, and search multiple networks at once.

Is there an RPM for mldonkey or does one install from sources only?

Iā€™m a Gentoo user predominately, but Iā€™ve been checking out openSUSE for other peopleā€™s computers lately and Iā€™m really digging it. However, I am having to use an RPM search for some packages.

packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/10.3/i586/MLDonkey-2.9.5-3.pm.10.i586.rpm

RPM Search is a great RPM search site.

I donā€™t know why I didnā€™t think top look in standard rpmā€™s on Yast ā€“ but there it was together with the GTK GUI. Packman was the clue ā€“ thanks enderandrew

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Kudos for reading the existing data before posting.

Good luck.

NEO-BAHAMUT- wrote:
| swerdna;1815340 Wrote:
|> Iā€™m curious ā€“ why not just install the Linux RPM instead of WINE for
|> Limewire?
|
| Well to be honest with you i have only been on linux for about a week
| now and from when i read on the old forum there was a guy on there
| asking about it and someone told him to install it through WINE so i
| went along with it. As it happens though i never got it to work as it
| somehow couldnā€™t see that java was installed and never got around to
| seeing why that was. Frostwire is a quality little program though and
| im most pleased with it.
|
| Im still having trouble with amule though now. I download from a
| website ā€˜sharethefiles.com :: Indexā€™ (http://www.sharethefiles.com). If
| you take a look on there you can download stuff such as isoā€™s and other
| items. When ever i used to click on one of the links though it used to
| just sync with emule straight away and start downloading (that was in
| windows) but now when i click on it it says ā€œfirefox doesnt know how to
| open this address, because the protocol (ed2k) isnā€™t associated with any
| programā€. Im not entirely sure how to make this work as of yet.
|
| Just a quick suggestion for the site. Maybe we can have a section on
| the forum where people can put tutorials with screen shots for how to
| install different packages. Then show how to configure them properly
| etc.
|
| Just a thought.
|
|
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFIUfl+3s42bA80+9kRAm1wAJ9vXIaBilVT178uUemREgKo1xv2dACfaAvq
IeWEo17qL7nlq42xecKIbcQ=
=wlKt
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

I tend to choose Gnutella and aMule from the repositories.

I like aMule for a lot of video files and stuff like that, and would go with Gnutella for a lot of the song files. Both are decent programs though.

aMule runs on the eDonkey network so that is the difference that that progam

But that way I donā€™t need to play with wine both those programs run natively under Linux

mlDonkey runs Gnutella, Gnutella2, and eMule networks from one app natively in Linux.

Hi,

Just a hint ā€¦ I see you are new to Linux so ā€¦
If you want it is also very easy to install and run emule ā€¦ just install it with wine and also you can easily run it with wine ā€¦

Regards,
Pedro

Iā€™m not sure that the Linux emule clients are that much more complicated than any Windows versions, where as I think setting up Wine can be fairly complicated to someone new to Linux.

Thatā€™s just my opinion however.

Hi,

One of my favorite uses for wine is emule.

Installing emule:

Download emule installer:

wget -c http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/emule/eMule0.49a-Installer1.exe

in the terminal run:

wine eMule0.49a-Installer1.exe

Just make next next to almost all choices. (change whatever fit your purposes)

And then wine even installs in the KDE panel a menu with the wine apps among them emule.

In my opinion emule is the easiest of all emule clients to use.
Just compare the amount of options on mldonkey GUI ā€¦

I also use mldonkey but in command line mode.

Also 90% of usefull content (ebooks for example ) is available in edonkey networks.

Also a migration from a folder in windoze to the Linux partitions is very easy.
Copying friend files and servers and already downloaded files is also very easy, just go to the emule config dir and the files to copy are obvious to find.

The only drawback is that running emule in wine pushes about 30% of a Core 2 Duo, while MLDonkey is simply unnoticeable.

Regards,
Pedro