Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Sample non-NetworkManager config (ala: if*)

  1. #1

    Default Sample non-NetworkManager config (ala: if*)

    Hi all,

    I'm a recent convert - I've been BSD and Debian for years, but after opting to "waste a CD and a weekend" on 10.3, I have found a new home. Despite my disdain for zypper (and the over-engineering that means it takes 10 minutes to do a 3 second task), SuSE feels just about right.

    I've always been one to 'cut my own wood', as it were, and being reliant upon NetworkManager is not what I'd like to be.

    I created a /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-wlan0 (after repairing the ethernet device in udevd to be wlan0, not wlan0_rename), and no matter what I do, ifup/ifdown state that the device is managed by NetworkManager.

    Other than beating on the keyboard until YaST opens and says 'make this a manual config device', what are my options to make it load before X11?

    NetworkManager works 100% in SuSE so far, unlike any other Linux derivative, but I just don't like using it. I want my /etc/network/interfaces and a tree, dang it!

    I've looked at SuSE 9, and earlier 10.x docs, but am still unable to answer myself. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,727
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Sample non-NetworkManager config (ala: if*)

    Hi
    You can switch control from NetworkManager to ifup/down in Yast. GoTo Yast --> Net devices --> net card --> global options: put the dot in "traditional ifup" rather than in "NetworkManager"
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  3. #3

    Default Re: Sample non-NetworkManager config (ala: if*)

    Hi swerdna,

    Thanks for your reply.

    When I do that, it will config "up" the interface, but it never establishes the default gateway route. I'm on 10.3 w/ all (current) updates.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,727
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Sample non-NetworkManager config (ala: if*)

    Quote Originally Posted by neptho View Post
    Hi swerdna,

    Thanks for your reply.

    When I do that, it will config "up" the interface, but it never establishes the default gateway route. I'm on 10.3 w/ all (current) updates.
    You can define the gateway in Yast, check out Pics numbered 7 and 8 in this tutorial: HowTo Configure a network card in Suse/openSUSE 10.x for LAN and Internet Access.

    Not exactly cutting wood, but you'll get ideas.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Sample non-NetworkManager config (ala: if*)

    neptho, I'd like to work with you through the gateway issue when using traditional ifup. I'm not a fan of networkmanager either. Ironically, I had exactly the opposite problem earlier today when doing a fresh 10.3 install to work on another problem; Networkmanager got an IP but wouldn't add gateway. I switched to traditional and, bam, gateway. Traditional has never failed me so you've piqued my interest.

    1. run "dhcpcd-test eth0" (or eth1, blah blah) and verify that your machine is getting a gateway in the dhcp response.

    2. check /etc/sysconfig/network/dhcp and make sure DHCLIENT_SET_DEFAULT_ROUTE="yes"
    --Khan St Preest

  6. #6

    Default Re: Sample non-NetworkManager config (ala: if*)

    Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    You can define the gateway in Yast, check out Pics numbered 7 and 8 in this tutorial: HowTo Configure a network card in Suse/openSUSE 10.x for LAN and Internet Access.

    Not exactly cutting wood, but you'll get ideas.
    That kind of destroys the point of using DHCP, no? Thanks for the assistance.

    Quote Originally Posted by lccts1 View Post
    neptho, I'd like to work with you through the gateway issue when using traditional ifup. I'm not a fan of networkmanager either. Ironically, I had exactly the opposite problem earlier today when doing a fresh 10.3 install to work on another problem; Networkmanager got an IP but wouldn't add gateway. I switched to traditional and, bam, gateway. Traditional has never failed me so you've piqued my interest.

    1. run "dhcpcd-test eth0" (or eth1, blah blah) and verify that your machine is getting a gateway in the dhcp response.

    2. check /etc/sysconfig/network/dhcp and make sure DHCLIENT_SET_DEFAULT_ROUTE="yes"
    Hi lccts1,

    Thanks for your assistance; I am being sent the gateway in the response, and I do have it set to set the default route. It's incredibly bizarre that it just doesn't get 'setup' with the ifup system.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Sample non-NetworkManager config (ala: if*)

    And, the results:

    Code:
    vostramos:/home/shawn # dhcpcd-test wlan0 | grep GATEWAY
    GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
    vostramos:/home/shawn # grep DEFAULT_ROUTE /etc/sysconfig/network/dhcp
    DHCLIENT_SET_DEFAULT_ROUTE="yes"
    The only thing I have done was remove the ipw3945d package since I'm using iwl3945, and I detest that thing.
    Last edited by neptho; 14-Jun-2008 at 05:48. Reason: Less spammy.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sarasota
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: Sample non-NetworkManager config (ala: if*)

    Quote Originally Posted by neptho View Post
    Hi swerdna,

    Thanks for your reply.

    When I do that, it will config "up" the interface, but it never establishes the default gateway route. I'm on 10.3 w/ all (current) updates.
    make sure that you have no OTHER device that gets setup
    for boot-time, or else the default-route won't get set.

    e.g. if your hard-wired interface is enabled at boot, go
    in and change it to 'manually' or 'never', and then
    your wireless should get its default-route.

    Hope this helps...

    Dave

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,727
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Sample non-NetworkManager config (ala: if*)

    DHCP assigns an IP address. I didn't think it was tasked to supply Name Servers or the gateway. I could be wrong (often am wrong), am I wrong?
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  10. #10

    Default Re: Sample non-NetworkManager config (ala: if*)

    Quote Originally Posted by cookdav View Post
    make sure that you have no OTHER device that gets setup
    for boot-time, or else the default-route won't get set.
    Hmm, I do have an eth0 device, but I have set that to manual/off. Or, so YaST claims.

    Can I just set a different metric for eth0 and turn it to 'automatic'?

    I used to do a nasty hack in Debian to grep the ifconfig status for a connection, and if found, it'd attempt dhcp on the interface, otherwise, it would be ignored.

    Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    DHCP assigns an IP address. I didn't think it was tasked to supply Name Servers or the gateway. I could be wrong (often am wrong), am I wrong?
    It depends on what RFC you're reading at the time. In common use, DHCP services have supplied this information for many years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •